Francis Francis X1 - Chris Aubry's Review
Posted: April 13, 2000, 8:47am
Francis Francis X1

Arrow The Francis Francis X1 has 43 Reviews
Arrow The Francis Francis X1 has been rated 7.20 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Francis Francis X1 reviews have been viewed 240,852 times (updated hourly).

Scott Smith 8.75
Patrick Moss 8.00
Josh Alwitt 8.00
Steve Strawman 8.00
Phil M 7.60

Manufacturer: Francis! Francis! Quality: 6
Where Bought: Aesthetics 2
Writer's Expertise: Aficionado Would Buy Again: n/a
Bottom Line: Don't even think about it! Imagine, one can get a Sylvia for less!

Looks good.

Doesn't make espresso.
Way underpowered pump.
No pressure relief valve, leaving you with a soggy coffee "puck" and a leaky brewhead.
The temperature gauge does't serve any purpose except to let you know that the water has reached it's brewing temperature, which IMO is set too high. It's raison d'etre is purely decorative.

I've rarely been so disappointed by a product in my life. No matter the grind/tamp, I couldn't wring out a half decent shot. Thinking the machine was defective, I actually brought it back to the store which had a "no refund, exchange only" policy. Tried another machine, same thing. Contacted the importer/distributor and was informed that a finer basket was available. New basket added some much needed extra pressure and the flow was  noticably improved, but still not up to stantard. Recontacted importer to inquire about an even finer basket, but none other was available. I gave up after six weeks of trying both the Illy ESE pods and various fresh beans ground in my Olympia Moka Express burr grinder; even tried pre-infusing to no avail. I did some research on the net which by chance led me to Mark's wonderful site and to alt.coffee, where I found that I was not alone in thinking that this is one good looking piece of garbage.
Other machines used since 1973 include Pavoni Europicola, several obscure home pump machines whose names I don't remember, and finally splurged for a Pasquini Livietta ($750 in the early 80s) which is a true high quality espresso maker.
If you are in the market for a pod machine because you don't want to get involved in the time consuming, finicky and messy process of acheiving the ultimate espresso (as in Italy), I would strongly suggest a Nespresso machine which will consistently deliver more than decent espresso-like shots with plenty of crema with no mess and no fuss at a lower price than the X1.

Posted: April 13, 2000, 8:47am
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.193905830383)