Francis Francis X1 - Rex Bond's Review
Posted: March 7, 2003, 1:22pm
Francis Francis X1

Arrow The Francis Francis X1 has 43 Reviews
Arrow The Francis Francis X1 has been rated 7.20 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Francis Francis X1 reviews have been viewed 248,512 times (updated hourly).

Scott Smith 8.75

Where Bought: Goods, Inc Aesthetics 10
Writer's Expertise: Aficionado Would Buy Again: Yes
Similar Items Owned: Krups Steam toy
Bottom Line: I LIKE IT!

Styling  is very nice.  Heats up to temperature very rapidly.  Thermometer is very nice.  It allows you to monitor the water temperature and you can adjust it up or down by drawing blind shots.  The steam wand on mine  works great.  Has a large water reservoir.  The portafilters fit very well.  Seems to be well made.

Pricey.  Good espresso from ground coffee takes some practice, but doesn't any machine?

First, a little about myself so you know where I am coming from.

I am an electrical engineer who also majored in theatre, so I have both a left and a right brain<S>.  Some of my comments will be on the engineering aspects and some on the aesthitics.

This machine worked perfectly right out of the box.  All you have to do is plug it in and prime the pump and you are ready to go.  The machine was packaged very well for shipment.  The machine is well balanced and feels sturdy.  This model has the new brass boiler that is chrome plated.

The switches and lights are of very good quality.  <The switches are  upside down for American consumers>  When the switch is in the down position it is on.

The portafilters fit very well and they mate with ease.  Some espresso machines require you to almost pick it up and align the portafilter.  This X1's alignment is very nice and is close to intuitive.

The speed of this machine is impressive.  Cold tap water will be at brewing temperature in about one minute. I can be drinking an espresso in two minutes  in the morning and this includes pulling a blind shot first to warm things up well.

Some readers have talked about the inadequate pressure of this model.  I believe that most espresso machines overrate their pressure.  First the pressure rating is probably peak pressure and second it is probably at the pump outlet  NOT at the brewhead.  I believe the pressure to be quite adequate for making good espresso and Francis Francis gives you the true steady state pressure reading.

Pods do work well with this machine.  However, I roast my own coffee.  With fresh roasted coffee and the proper grind and tamp  I can create a crema that is 1/4 inch thick and  really sticks to the cup.

I really do not understand the negative reviews this machine gets.  Of course I have the latest model  in RED.   VROOOOOOOOM  a Ferrari on my counter.  Also,  I have enjoyed several espressos in the espresso motherland, Italy.  The results I get are just as good,  No, I will brag a little<S>  better than most espressos I have ever purchased.

Aesthetically  this thing is beautiful and the ergonimics are wonderful as well.

Reliability  remains  unknown because I have only had the machine a month, but so far so good.

I will try to post a follow-up in three months.

I am very pleased with my purchase.

Machine was purchased at Goods, Inc in Bloomington, Indiana.  They threw in some Illy pods and Illy cups which was nice.  Pricing was OK  at this store.

The best part was the associate David who took a lot of time with me.

Posted: March 7, 2003, 1:22pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.188834190369)