Expobar Office Lever - Alex Devine's Review
Posted: February 13, 2012, 2:40pm
Expobar Office Lever Espresso Machine

Arrow The Expobar Office Lever has 12 Reviews
Arrow The Expobar Office Lever has been rated 8.88 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 24, 2007.
Arrow Expobar Office Lever reviews have been viewed 89,154 times (updated hourly).

Jan-willem Mensink 9.14
Mark Furlong 8.00
Gene Kriegsmann 7.33
Mr. Dooder 7.20
Patrick Coenen 7.00

Manufacturer: Expobar Quality: 8
Where Bought: Whole Latte Love Aesthetics 9
Bottom Line: Best value for an E61 quality-built machine IF you fix its high temperature issues.

Best value available for E61 heat exchanger machine
Great build quality, 'tank-like' design
Looks great

Design flaw means the grouphead idles at too high a temperature (see detailed commentary)
Like all heat exchanger machines, learning how to brew at the desired temperature can be difficult.

I love my Expobar Office Lever - it looks great, should last forever with proper maintenance, brews an excellent shot, and was an excellent value. HOWEVER, while hitting the optimum temperature on any heat exchanger machine takes practice, the Expobar has a design flaw in that it "runs hot". I installed Eric Svendson's E61 thermometer adapter and saw that my grouphead was idling at about 211 degrees, meaning my cooling flushes were taking a long time and wasting a ton of water to get to the proper brew temperature.

Expobar sells a fix, though, called a 'thermosiphon restrictor' (part # EX-50020020 which I got from Whole Latte Love), that you can install that lowered my idling temperature to about 201. Now my machine works great: cooling flushes are much shorter and it's much easier to hit optimum temperatures. However, I don't understand why Expobar doesn't install these by default, as "running hot" is a common complaint with Expobar machines.

I am very happy with Whole Latte Love - sales people were helpful and not pushy, machine was shipped immediately. I would buy from them again.

Still love this machine. Now that I've had more time to practice my routine I can consistently make excellent shots and cappuccinos. The summary is the same - the Expobar Office Lever is one of (if not THE) best values in the all-stainless E61 heat-exchanger category.

Posted: February 13, 2012, 2:40pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.213018894196)