Expobar Office Lever - Mark Furlong's Review
Posted: December 29, 2009, 10:20am
Expobar Office Lever Espresso Machine

Arrow The Expobar Office Lever has 12 Reviews
Arrow The Expobar Office Lever has been rated 8.88 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 24, 2007.
Arrow Expobar Office Lever reviews have been viewed 90,176 times (updated hourly).

Jan-willem Mensink 9.14
Mark Furlong 8.00
Gene Kriegsmann 7.33
Mr. Dooder 7.20
Patrick Coenen 7.00

Manufacturer: Expobar Quality: 8
Where Bought: New Aesthetics 9
Bottom Line: So what if its from Spain, its a solid performer and it won't break the bank.

E61 Group
Auto shutoff if water low
Stainless steel
Fits under standard cabinet
Large cup warmer
Huge drip tray
Easy access to water tank
Case comes off easily
Switch between plumbed in or pour over

No water tank level indicator
Loud Vibe pump
Water tank could be bigger
Only comes with 1 potafilter, have to change baskets for one or two shots
It's from Spain

This is a quality product and a great price. I have used it for 2 months and I cannot find a single thing wrong with it. It takes about 15 - 20 minutes to heat up but its worth the wait, i am pulling the best shots I have ever pulled, the crema is rich and dark most of the time ;). The vibe pump is loud especially when you first turn it on, when pulling a shot it can sometimes rattle the drip tray which can move the shot glass around, this can be annoying when you walk away and come back only to find most of your shot eneded up in the drip tray, i normally stand there and watch intently therefore I am normally holding the glass. The drip tray is huge, I think I can drain two tanks of water before it needs to be emptied, I really like this as it can be labourious having to empty the drip tray every couple of days. the porta filter is heavy and marine brass, the only thing i do not like about it is that it only came with one portafilter, so I have to change baskets to change between shots, although for me this rarely happens as I am mostly pulling doubles anyway.
The water tank takes a while to empty, I am pulling a couple of doubles a day so it generally lasts about 4-5 days before it needs refilling, I found that the pump would normally cut off when the tank was only 3/4 empty, this actually made sense once I had installed the Rancilio Water Softener in the tank, as the water softener added extra weight to the tank, the tank now mostly empties before the pump cuts off. This is another great feature of the Expobar, rather than using an in tank water lever cut off switch which can jam over time, the Expobar uses a weighing plate mechanism underneath the water tank, I think this is more reliable.
Steaming is a breeze, I have heard people comment that the machine runs out of steam after a couple of drinks but I have not found this to be the case, I steam after I pull shots not at the same time so that might have something to do with it. The Expobar single hole steam tip is ok, I am still learning how to steam milk as my previous machine had a froth enhancer built into it, I am producing pretty good microfoam but I know there is room for improvement.

Overall I am extremely happy with the Expobar, if you make a couple of drinks a day and a few more at the weekend, then this machine is perfect, and it won't break the bank even if you buy it new.

I have bought all my Espresso equipment used,  I picked up the Expobar from a lady who did not know how to use it, it was basically a kitchen ornament that had been used less than a dozen times.

I love it!

Excellent Espresso Machine - Rock Solid no issues

Posted: December 29, 2009, 10:20am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.189718008041)