Espressione Retro - Mark F's Review
Posted: November 12, 2007, 11:54am
Espressione Retro

Arrow The Espressione Retro has 5 Reviews
Arrow The Espressione Retro has been rated 6.32 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since November 24, 2006.
Arrow Espressione Retro reviews have been viewed 40,894 times (updated hourly).

Mark F 6.00
Erik Gallneby 5.80
Rebecca B 4.00
James Lee 0.00
Jonathan Fant 0.00

Manufacturer: DeLonghi Quality: 0
Where Bought: CostCo Aesthetics 10
Writer's Expertise: I like coffee Would Buy Again: No
Bottom Line: Not worth the cheap price tag. Wait a couple extra months and save up for something better.

A great looking machine, and a great price.

- The arm ceased
- Temperature Issues
- Flimsy

I got this machine for my birthday (yesterday) and I was able to make two pretty good cappucinos, the espresso even had a nice crema, but then it never worked again.

The arm on the right hand side (made to look like a classic manual machine) that controls the steam ceased after one use.

I don't know if this was also a related issue, but the machine has a nice looking temperature gauge on the front of it and that could never reach 150 degress farenheight, which was the magic number for a light to go off that would allow steam to be made.

It was also fairly flimsy for its look. It seems like it will be sturdy but I thought it was going to break in half the second I got it out of the box.

I also didn't like the fact that it had such a small resivor for water (less than 1L) which meant in my attempts to make it produce a third coffee I ran out of water twice while it tried to heat itself.

Another issue, on top of many, is that the espresso came out painfully slowly. I think it took over a minute to get one ounce of coffee.

I'm pretty sure that I got one of the most defected ones but I couldn't be bothered with trying to get another one, as I bought it from Costco's website, so I just returned it and now I am out to look for a new one with my birthday money.

This experience has taught me that you get what you pay for and if it seems to good to be true it definitely is. Also don't buy unless you have seen them in store and have actually felt and seen it. Reading specs can only give you so much info.

CostCo is great to deal with. I was told it shipped fast and they ask no questions upon return.

Posted: November 12, 2007, 11:54am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.189119100571)