Elektra Nivola - Bill Rutledge's Review
Posted: August 4, 2002, 7:59pm
Elektra Nivola Espresso Machine

Arrow The Elektra Nivola has 5 Reviews
Arrow The Elektra Nivola has been rated 8.96 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since February 25, 2002.
Arrow Elektra Nivola reviews have been viewed 34,138 times (updated hourly).

Andrew Lawson 10.00
Don Faulkner 10.00
Ann Banks 8.55
Bill Rutledge 6.87
Joel Richard 5.25

Manufacturer: Elektra Quality: 9
Where Bought: Bellaitalia.com Aesthetics 10
Writer's Expertise: Advanced Would Buy Again: Yes
Bottom Line: Physically beautiful, somewhat coltish, but great performance.

Beautiful machine and makes great espresso.

Some quirkiness and problem with water level mechanism.

I saw this machine when I was in Amsterdam. I really wanted it and yet it seemed too "design heavy;" almost austentatious. I have a small apartment so I thought it would really stand out. Finally I succumbed to desire and ordered one direct from Italy. It looks great.

Initially there was a big problem with the water level mechanism. It always buzzed as though it were empty. I was extremely disappointed. Against my better judgement, I spent the evening cleaning the contacts, checking for loose wires, etc. Not a great first impression. Finally, after two hours of mousing around, and in response to absolutely nothing I did, it started working.

I've decided to regard this machine as something akin to high-performance Italian sports car. It's so beautiful that you have to forgive it for its impetuousness. These are some of the negative aspects of its "personality:" the green "power on" light flickers; the portafilter needs to be cleaned out regularly; the portafilter handle now clamps in a little to the right, which, for me, ruins some of its symmetry; it's kind of a production to refill with water; there's no way to tell the water level, you have to wait for the buzz; the screen on top of the drip tray has little drain holes so the coffe pools and stains the screen after each use.

This sounds like a lot of problems, but overall these are minor inconveniences. The machine is blast to operate, produces great coffee and is admired by my friends and colleagues.

I've also figured out the problem with the water-level mechanism. If you use distilled water, it will buzz empty, I assume, because the mineral content of the water is too low to complete the electric circuit that indicates the machine is full. I use tap water now and I have no problems.

The online buying experience was painless. I ordered and it arrived ten days later. I did receive a separate bill from Fedex for the shipping which was unexpected but not exorbitant.

Problems continue with water level mechanism. On light has burnt out and I can't figure out how to replace it without taking the whole machine apart.

Posted: August 4, 2002, 7:59pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.201647043228)