Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others - Steve Kroll's Review
Posted: February 15, 2005, 7:12am
Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others
Arrow Espresso Zone

Arrow The Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others has 14 Reviews
Arrow The Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others has been rated 5.70 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others reviews have been viewed 107,642 times (updated hourly).

Steve Dankert 6.83
Daniel Marsalone 6.66
Paul Smith 6.50
F Scofield 6.33
Owen O'Neill 6.33

Product Reviewed: BAR42E
Manufacturer: Delonghi Quality: 2
Where Bought: Gift Aesthetics 8
Bottom Line: Worked great... for about two months

This is a sleek model with a Jetsons sort of look. Aesthetically, the overall design appears to be well thought out.  Heats up quickly. Worked great when it worked. When it stopped working, DeLonghi customer service was very helpful.

Dangerous power switch design. While the machine looks nice, construction seems shoddy.

I received this machine as a Christmas gift and initially was very happy with it. After about a month of twice a day use, I began to notice minor problems. For example, occasionally the coffee would only sputter out of the machine a few drops at a time.

A few days ago, this machine went totally haywire. I started by brewing a double shot of espresso and then, as usual, clicked the steam button to start heating water for frothing. It blinked for a minute or two and then stopped, indicating it was at temperature. When I opened the steam release valve, the pump kicked on but nothing came out of the frother. I then turned the steam release valve off, however, the pump continued to run and proceeded to empty the entire contents of the water reservoir onto my countertop (through the drip tray no less. I didn't even notice until there was a large puddle forming under the machine).

At this point, the microprocessor controlled power switch simply stopped functioning, and I found I was unable to turn the machine off. So I simply unplugged it. I've since plugged it in twice, but the pump seems to be permanently locked in "on" mode.

I've contacted the manufacturer by e-mail from the contact link on their web site, but after two days I have yet to receive a response. I left a message on the phone line during off hours, but haven't received a call back.

At this point, I cannot think of a reason to recommend DeLonghi to anyone. Fortunately for me, I have no out of pocket expenses tied up in the machine, but it's been a frustrating experience nonetheless.

***********************************************
Follow up -  2/24/2005. A DeLonghi rep contacted me this morning and offered to replace my BAR42E with an EC-701 no questions asked. In addition, he said that DeLonghi would pay for any damage to my countertop (there wasn't any - it was only water). He didn't even ask that I ship the defective machine back, which I found a little surprising. All in all, I have to say it was one of the most positive customer service experiences I've ever had.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for me I suppose), I just ordered a Gaggia Syncrony so I guess I'll keep the EC-701 at the office.

Received as gift.

Posted: February 15, 2005, 7:12am
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.192255020142)