Delonghi Magnifica 3300 - Sean Montague's Review
Posted: December 8, 2008, 6:54pm
Delonghi Magnifica 3300 Super Auto
Arrow Amazon

Arrow The Delonghi Magnifica 3300 has 3 Reviews
Arrow The Delonghi Magnifica 3300 has been rated 7.67 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 23, 2007.
Arrow Delonghi Magnifica 3300 reviews have been viewed 34,675 times (updated hourly).

Sean Montague 8.00
Jose H. 0.00
Jesse S. 0.00

Where Bought: Bed Bath & Beyond Aesthetics 8
Owned for: 2 weeks Overall 7
Writer's Expertise: Just starting Would Buy Again: Yes
Similar Items Owned: Gaggia Baby Twin
Bottom Line: Excellent machine for the user looking for a middle of the line automatic espresso maker

Easy to use, makes good espresso with nice creama.  Espresso taste is very consistent from cup to cup

Frother not the greatest.  If you want to control the entire process this machine not for you.

This is my second espresso machine, my previous machine was Gaggia Baby Twin, which was returned due to steamer stopped working.  Although I miss the aspect of grinding my own beans, tamping the freshly ground coffee in the porta-filter, but the coffee produced by the Delonghi is of the same quality as you would find at Starbucks or any restaurant.  It did take some time to set-up the machine to account for the proper amount of coffe and water, instruction manual stated "setting up is trial and error" I would agree with this statement.  But once I got it set-up making coffee is a breeze and every cup is the same.

Frothing wand is one of the weak points of the product.  It only sticks out from the product about 1 1/2 inches and does not tilt so using a large frothing pitcher can be a problem.  With the right frothing pitcher it does a good job of producing a hot product with a nice froth.  Best point is the steam wand does not add a great deal of additional water to the product.  This was a point that really turned me off from the Gaggia Baby Twin.

Another great feature of this machine is the speed in which the machine is ready to begin producing coffee from a cold start-up.  Takes no more than 5 minutes if this long once the machine is turned on.  Machine runs through a few cycles and is ready to produce coffee.  All of this can be done in the time it takes to turn the machine on fill up the frothing pitcher with milk and get your cups out.  One weakness could be that when making espresso you can not froth milk at the same time. From my one time at trying this, the frothing feature overrides the coffee making feature.

Although this machine is a bit pricey I do recommend.  Although I do wish I controlled the process more using this machine is there is much less mess and from cup to cup the consistency of the product is right on.

No issues with buying from Bed Bath and Beyond.  Used 20% coupon

After three months, I must say that I am satisfied with the Delonghi.  The machine is extremely easy to use and has stood up well to two plus espresso's per day.  The frother is easy to use, only downfall is not overly easy to use with a large frothing pitcher.  Makes a decent creama but not great.

I do wish the user had more control over the grind.  When I try to get a stonger coffee I tend to get drops out of the machine.  there is a fine line between the perfect drip and drops.  Stronger coffee beans require less coffee or you do not get a smooth stream of coffee.

Machine broke down 355 days into owning.  No ability to turn machine as power switch went out.  If unplugged for a few hours it would power up but other buttons were unreliable.  Even though I completed the warranty paperwork with Delonghi they required original receipt to return for warranty.  I called Bed Bath & Beyond and they have replaced.  I have lost some confidence in this machine but compared to buying two coffees a day @ my local Starbucks I still feel I am ahead.

I am still satisfied with the machine but my next machine will not be an automatic.  As I read the forums on CoffeGeek and review videos of other machines I see how much better these other machines produce creama.

This is still a good introductory machine but I have lost some confidence due to machine breaking down in less than a year.

Posted: December 8, 2008, 6:54pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.187342882156)