Delonghi Bar 140 - Dave Hofmann's Review
Posted: January 2, 2009, 12:17am
Delonghi Bar 140

Arrow The Delonghi Bar 140 has 18 Reviews
Arrow The Delonghi Bar 140 has been rated 7.36 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since December 1, 2001.
Arrow Delonghi Bar 140 reviews have been viewed 96,644 times (updated hourly).

Rob Stark 10.00
Jeff Cirelli 8.50
Robert Figueira 8.00
J. H. Long 7.50
W Lista 7.00

Manufacturer: Delonghi Quality: 7
Where Bought: Target Aesthetics 8
Bottom Line: Good starter unit for the money.

Nice machine.   Easy to use.  Makes a decent cup if the pull is short.  A good starter machine.

Noisy and vibrates.  Water tank removal is annoying.  Continues to drip once stopped.  Pucks soft and messy to remove.

After visiting Northern Italy and Southern Switzerland on business, I was hooked on espresso.  When I came back, I started looking for good espresso locally.  The local coffee scene is not that great, and Starbucks was completely disappointing, so I started to research espresso machines online (Thanks Coffee Geek!).  The most important thing I found out is that you get what you pay for.  My price point was low (single income with three kids), so I wanted to try making espresso at home on a budget.  The DeLonghi EC-140B was a nice starter unit.  I found it on sale at Target.  It was easy to start making brown water, and eventually a decent espresso.  Once I was convinced I could indeed make my own espresso, I also purchased a Cuisinart burr grinder.

The EC-140B is has a small footprint and fits well under the cabinets.  It is loud and almost vibrates the cup off of the stand during use.  The water tank is annoying to refill due to the hoses that sit inside and must be removed before tank removal.  I eventually gave up on removing the tank and now I  just add water with a frothing cup.  The frothing wand seems to work OK.  I don't use it very often.  Cleaning is a bit difficult with the screw off design.  The pressurized portafilter is messy to knock out if you are in a rush.  The grounds stay mushy until all of the excess water has drained out, which takes a few minutes.

I know that most users of this site have gone beyond a unit such as the DeLonghi EC-140B, and I have my dreams as well, but until then, I would recommend the DeLonghi EC-140B espresso machine as a good starter unit, keeping in mind that you get what you pay for.

Target on sale.  Can't go wrong.

Posted: January 2, 2009, 12:17am
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240312099457)