Briel Lido Espresso Machine - Michael Hast's Review
Posted: May 17, 2007, 4:02pm
Briel Lido Espresso Machine

Arrow The Briel Lido Espresso Machine has 15 Reviews
Arrow The Briel Lido Espresso Machine has been rated 5.81 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Briel Lido Espresso Machine reviews have been viewed 77,067 times (updated hourly).

Andy Panda 10.00
Skip Thomsen 6.60
Lane Wilkins 6.33
Kevin Johnson 6.00
Joel Stevens 6.00

Manufacturer: Briel Quality: 7
Where Bought: ebay Aesthetics 2
Writer's Expertise: Pro Barista Would Buy Again: No
Similar Items Owned: A Krupps (don't remember model and a brand-new, shiny Briel Domus Uno
Bottom Line: I hold the ES-15 Lido in the same contempt that you would a compact sedan.  Yes, it does it's job.  Yes, it's reliable and efficient.  But, it will never be a Porsche.

Price
Ease of use
15-bar pump
The fact that it was cheap enough that I don't worry about it.
Honestly, it will do everything that a far higher-priced machine will
Made in Italy.
It doesn't take up much space on the countertop

Crappy-looking plastic unit
As durable as a crappy-looking plastic appliance is
Underwhelming in the wow-factor
Settled for it instead of an ES62, which is what I wanted, but money was too tight at the time.
It doesn't take up much space on the countertop.  (yes, I know.  It's a plus and a minus.)

I bought this machine used on ebay.  It was quite well-used when I got it.  It was apparent that the previous owner had used and abused the crap out of it.  The drip tray was melted on the back corner and there were cracks in the handle on the filter cup.  The case was scratched, and the paint on the metal was mostly worn off.  But, heck if this little thing didn't make coffee for my wife and me reliably for the next three years until the handle on the filter cup finally gave out!  We replaced it recently with a Briel Domus Uno.  I love the new machine!  Everything works on the old one just fine, except for the broken handle.  Currently, I'm trying to find a replacement filter cup for it because a friend wants to buy it from me.  Like I said, as old and ugly as it is, it still works fine.

The buying experience was  a typical ebay purchase.  The seller represented it accurately on a couple of technicalities, and everything went smoothly otherwise.

Posted: May 17, 2007, 4:02pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.18364405632)