Briel Lido Espresso Machine - Teresa Vonfeldt-Gross's Review
Posted: April 12, 2004, 3:00pm
Briel Lido Espresso Machine

Arrow The Briel Lido Espresso Machine has 15 Reviews
Arrow The Briel Lido Espresso Machine has been rated 5.81 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Briel Lido Espresso Machine reviews have been viewed 75,957 times (updated hourly).

Andy Panda 10.00
Skip Thomsen 6.60
Lane Wilkins 6.33
Kevin Johnson 6.00
Joel Stevens 6.00

Manufacturer: Briel Quality: 9
Where Bought: Distributor closeout Aesthetics 8
Bottom Line: Lovely little entry-level machine.  Lasted me ten years+!

Price, ease of use, reliability, durability

Frothing wand drips a bit when pulling a shot

I've owned my Briel Lido now for a little over ten years, and I've replaced only the frothing wand twice (once because it was chewed up in my garbage disposal after it fell in; another time because the plastic tip was lost) and the drip tray once (because it melted in a malfunctioning dishwasher).  Had a satisfactory experience getting replacement parts by calling the Briel customer service number that appears in the user's manual.

I have to say, this has been a lovely little machine to own over the years.  It was highly recommended for its class by several coffee geeks who frequented the pre-web user group, alt.coffee (if memory serves me correctly).  I've used it consistently, making an average of one latte a day or so (more on weekend days).  It amazes folks when I tell them how long I've owned it!

Of course, by now, it's a little beat-up looking, but the pump still works great.  Just the other day, though, one of the tiny washers on the frothing wand (the part that's attached to the machine itself) broke, so now it steams at about 50% power, which is a bummer.  So, this is my excuse to upgrade, and I'm seriously considering buying another Briel product, based on my own experience with them.

For an entry-level machine (and one that will be used by perhaps a single person or a couple - who don't do a ton of entertaining), I highly recommend this machine (as long as Briel has not lowered its standards since I bought mine ten years ago).

I don't remember the name of the distributor or even how I found out that they carried this machine, but I had a satisfactory experience with them.  Went directly to their premises and purchased the machine at about a $10 or $20 discount, I think.  It was a closeout.

Posted: April 12, 2004, 3:00pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.265490055084)