Breville Cafe Roma - Jason Mickin's Review
Posted: March 16, 2007, 4:55pm
Breville Cafe Roma ESP8XL

Arrow The Breville Cafe Roma has 41 Reviews
Arrow The Breville Cafe Roma has been rated 7.19 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since April 5, 2006.
Arrow Breville Cafe Roma reviews have been viewed 280,200 times (updated hourly).

Ben Egger 10.00
Charles Gauthier 10.00
Don Ferron 9.00
Marc Tischler 8.50
Dean W 8.33

Manufacturer: Breville Quality: 5
Where Bought: local store Aesthetics 7
Bottom Line: You can work with it, but there is a better strategy to getting into espresso (grinder and fresh beans) and for a couple hundred more you can get a much better machine.

Good looking machine.

Decent at frothing.

Can produce a decent shot of espresso.

Pressurized filter baskets.

Thermoblock.

Water reservoir on top of machine.

Overall

This machine was an upgrade from a Krups Brava (steam) machine.  Without question it's much better than the Krups and brings you closer to true espresso.  This is a decent intro to espresso, but given the pressurized filter baskets and thermoblock, it's near impossible to get great espresso; even with a good grinder and fresh beans.  If I had to do it again I would spend the extra couple hundred and get a Solis SL70.

If you've bought this machine (User Tips):

- either modify the double filter basket or get the Krups double filter basket, as the pressurized filter baskets are an issue (search the forums for more info on this)
- if you use the pressurized filter baskets, make sure to run water through the portafilter & basket prior (or I guess after) use, this removes some grounds/oils in between the 2 layers in the basket...I didn't do this until recently and had noticed the shots were getting worse, when I did this many grinds came out and the shots got better
- heat the machine up for 15+ minutes and run water through the group head and steam wand before getting started, this will get things nice and hot

If I was to do it all over, I would buy a good grinder first (Rocky or something better) and just use drip or french press.  With this equipment I would focus on buying freshly roasted beans and grinding prior to each use.  Then I would buy a machine (this is the most valuable piece of information I pass along).

Floor model from a local store.

Posted: March 16, 2007, 4:55pm
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.194464921951)