Breville Cafe Roma - Dennis O'Brien's Review
Posted: July 14, 2006, 3:47pm
Breville Cafe Roma ESP8XL

Arrow The Breville Cafe Roma has 41 Reviews
Arrow The Breville Cafe Roma has been rated 7.19 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since April 5, 2006.
Arrow Breville Cafe Roma reviews have been viewed 273,981 times (updated hourly).

Ben Egger 10.00
Charles Gauthier 10.00
Don Ferron 9.00
Marc Tischler 8.50
Dean W 8.33

Previous Review
Manufacturer: Breville Quality: 8
Where Bought: Sears Aesthetics 9
Bottom Line: Excellent machine for a medium-coffee-geek who just wants to build a great latte in the morning.

Easy to use
Espresso is very good
No problems with heating up and getting ready to use
Easy to make froth/foam with the wand or with the attachement

The steam wand isn't very long and its fixed on the side close to the bottom plate. You can't get a very large container under the wand and you have to tilt the container to get it out, which isn't good if you've container is already overflowing with foam.

I'm a beginner with this whole espresso thing, but got hooked on flat-white's in Autsralia... When I started reading up on home espresso machines it looked so complicated with all the thermoblock vs. pump stuff that I gave up at first. But the flat white kept calling me so I decided to go with something that I thought was a reasonable price and looked ok.

The Cafe Roma is really easy to use. I had no problem filling the filter and pulling the first shot. My wife pulls shots, my teenage son pulls shots (when we're not looking:) - very easy to use. I'm not an expert on espresso, but to me the shots are excellent. I'm mostly making milk-based drinks anyway. I'm still playing with the grind and the tamp, but that's the fun part - I can work with the machine to get what I want.

The machine heats up quickly and has no problem producing steam. I flip it on first and its ready to go before I can get everything ready to make my latte.

The main drawback is the steam wand. The location on the machine isn't great. I have no problem making enough hot milk and foam for a latte but its a little akward getting the container under it. You can only get a fairly small container under the wand and milk heats up so fast that I don't know if I'll  ever be able to master micofoam with this machine (but I never be able to master microfoam anyway).

Overall I would recommend this machine to someone new to this that just wants to build a great latte in the morning.

I bought it at Sears. I bought it myself.

Previous Review
Posted: July 14, 2006, 3:47pm
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.17057800293)