Breville 800ESXL - Ted Sexauer's Review
Posted: September 11, 2007, 9:18pm
Breville Espresso 800ESXL

Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has 66 Reviews
Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has been rated 7.95 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 2, 2006.
Arrow Breville 800ESXL reviews have been viewed 534,063 times (updated hourly).

Steve Koellhoffer 10.00
H H 10.00
Pat D'Arcy 9.50
Ben Moore 9.00
L Blumen 9.00

Product Reviewed: 800ESXL
Manufacturer: Breville (Chinese origin) Quality: 5
Where Bought: Bed Bath & Beyond Aesthetics 9
Bottom Line: I will miss this and I don't know what to replace it with, but when the machine lasts 5 weeks and the manufacturer seems to be in hiding, it's a no go.

Beautiful machine. Easy, fast espresso, delicious every time. Easy to clean. Easy to add water to.

Wet puck. My machine only lasted 5 weeks. Service department doesn't seem to want to talk to me.

This is a beautiful machine which seems (seemed) extremely well built. I've made my family some cappuccinos with it, but mostly just espressos for myself, twice a day. My drinks were very fast to make (faster than brewing coffee) and the machine was very easy to clean, and also to add water into. To me, every espresso I made was delicious. This machine has a pressurized portafilter, which probably gives newbies like me more consistent results, but, I think because of that, it leaves a wet puck: hard to knock out, though no real trouble for me.

The problem is, after using it for five weeks, something went drastically wrong inside the machine. It's as if a pipe came loose inside, and now it is unusable. As per my owner manual I called the USA service number at 1-866-BREVILLE; I have since called multiple times. I have never gotten through to a live Breville person. All I ever get is a recording that says they are open 8-5 PST M-F, and "if I get a recording", leave my name and number and they will call back "soon". So I did that, yesterday, at 11:45 AM PST. I was disappointed when 5:00 came around, with no return call. Now it is well past 5:00 of the next day, and still no call! So, I returned the machine to the store tonight. I don't like being treated as if I am at the manufacturer's mercy, which I kind of would be if I wasn't able to return it. This morning on one of my calls, I pushed "0" at the end of the message. I got an operator who identified her company by some unfamiliar acronym. I asked for Breville Service and she said "who?". I repeated it, and she thought for a moment and put me through to another number. Then I got another, but different, Breville recording. I left my name and number again, but no call back. Before buying anything from Breville in the USA, I'd suggest you call this number and judge for yourself if you'd be happy with the service department.

I don't know what to replace this machine with (help!). I don't want a fully automatic because it seems like those would not only be even more breakable, but would remove me further from what others here might call the true espresso-making experience. This machine was just right... until it broke.

It is now day 4 of my attempt to reach Breville. (Though all there is to do now is tell them "too late".) They finally returned my call, at 8:19 AM this morning -- well before I get in to work naturally! No apology for my broken machine; just this message, in somewhat of a sing-songy delivery (initials changed): "Hello there, this is AB from Breville. I just wanted to return your phone call and answer any questions you might have. Uh, feel free and call us if you need anything at 866-273-8455. Hope you're having a great day. Buh bye." Guess what, that number is the same 866-BREVILLE number where my call for help sat for nearly 4 days! Very disappointing. All I can say is, ba-a-ad company (in my opinion).

Used a 20% off coupon to get the $320 price. Bed Bath & Beyond has a liberal return policy, no questions asked.

My new machine is a Rancilio Silvia. I thought my espresso with the Breville was pretty good. Little did I know how much maturing my taste had to go. With the Silvia (and a good grinder, and fresh beans) my espresso has reached another level.

Posted: September 11, 2007, 9:18pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.190159082413)