Breville 800ESXL - Kevin Baxter's Review
Posted: June 12, 2007, 3:49pm
Breville Espresso 800ESXL

Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has 66 Reviews
Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has been rated 7.95 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 2, 2006.
Arrow Breville 800ESXL reviews have been viewed 541,175 times (updated hourly).

Steve Koellhoffer 10.00
H H 10.00
Pat D'Arcy 9.50
Ben Moore 9.00
L Blumen 9.00

Product Reviewed: ESXL800
Manufacturer: Breville USA Quality: 9
Where Bought: Sears Aesthetics 10
Bottom Line: The sleek, the sexy, the Breville 800

Great Looking, large 2 Liter water reservoir, heavy duty construction
Easy to use
Simple instruction booklet

After use the esspresso ground do not come out like a puck, but is a sloppy mess
After steaming the milk and turning machine to "standby" a shot of steam comes out and could potentially burn your hand

This is my first thermoblock system (I had an aluminum boiler machine for 3 years) and It is very fast at warming up.  I love the fact that it has a storage area for the supplied group head inserts and the provied cleaning tool.  I used the "froth enhanser" once and then didn't use it again after it produced sea foam like results.  Perfect Crema every time, however it did take me a while to get the coffee grind right. (30 seconds timed with a black and decker blade grinder).  It is the center point and interest to everyone who visits the kitchen area and soon they are hooked.  I do have bad news as apparently the machine is being discontinued in Canada by all the stores that I know of.

Negative point - After brewing the perfect shot, the group head comes off to show a black sludge (not the dry puck I am used to) that will make your knock box very slimy.  I have learned to just wash it down the sink. (Edit September 14/07: This no longer happens as I have made the grind finer and tamped it with as much pressure as I can)

Great warranty (3months replacement) from Sears

The machine is still great.  Learned about the slime in the group thing.  Just needed to select a finer grind and tamp it as hard as possible. Problem solved.  It is starting to get some nicks and scratches on the top where we keep the cups, and I threw away the froth aid peace of garbage.

I have now had the machine for about three years and the plastic tamper that came with the kit finally broke on me! I have most definately made more than a thousand lattes with the machine and it still works like a tank! I clean once a month with vinegar and water in the tank and run it through and have not done anything major to it. Just need to buy a replacement tamper now.

Posted: June 12, 2007, 3:49pm
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.205603122711)