Breville 800ESXL - Ginbot G's Review
Posted: February 27, 2009, 3:04pm
Breville Espresso 800ESXL

Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has 66 Reviews
Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has been rated 7.95 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 2, 2006.
Arrow Breville 800ESXL reviews have been viewed 535,100 times (updated hourly).

Steve Koellhoffer 10.00

Manufacturer: Breville (Chinese origin) Quality: 9
Where Bought: Williams-Sonoma Aesthetics 9
Writer's Expertise: I like coffee Would Buy Again: Yes
Similar Items Owned: None
Bottom Line: Well-built. Delivers adequate, but not great espresso.  Good all-around for price range. If perfection is a must, go elsewhere.

Simple. Does everything I need it too. Sturdy construction.

Minor nitpicks. Such as access to tool tray requires removing the drip pan. Start button sometimes acts like I've pushed it twice (so it turns on, then off really quick). It's almost as if they didn't debounce the signal.

First off, I have the programmable version from Williams-Sonoma. The pre-programmed setting seemed fine to me; I made mine do slightly longer pulls.  This one also has an additional hot water wand.

Unlike others that complained about the grind, I've never had an issue with clogging regardless of grind (course or fine). Slightly courser than a true espresso grind works best.  Also, I keep it clean, use only filtered water, and have always used the double filter.

If you just want espresso, then you'll probably want a different machine. It's a bit on the bitter side compared to a coffee house's shot.  Also, you could get a simple espresso machine cheaper. Others have commented that crema is not quite right; probably not, but close enough for my tastes. However, if you rather have nothing unless it's coffee house quality,  I wouldn't get this machine. For the rest of us, ignorance can be bliss.

It's great if you like lattes, cappuccinos, etc... Maybe even Americanos, again if you're not too picky, due to the hot water wand on the programmable version. Frother works well and is pretty solid with it's 360 swivel mount. It's actually what made me want this one because I've had too many leaky ones before.  But, the foam isn't going to win a competition.

Holds a good amount of water for size of machine, enough for about 8 to 14 drinks depending on what your doing. Most water loss comes from the end of frothing. So, I do a bunch at once. What? You didn't want 8 cappuccinos in one sitting?

Has a pre-heater/cup warmer on top. I rate the warmer an 'eh', better than nothing.

On a whole though, a good machine for this range.

Typical W&S, box-store experience.

Still going strong with no complaints. Average about  6 espressos and 6 cappuccinos a week.

The grind is still the highest order variable in this machine's espresso equation.  As I've previously stated, it seems to respond best to courser than true espresso grind with the filter that comes with the machine.  Also, the first basket has more of a wet consistency in the basket, but doesn't affect the flavor.

I am thinking about trying a different basket like others have done. If I do, I'll post it back here.

Ciao.

Posted: February 27, 2009, 3:04pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.202186822891)