Breville 800ESXL - Carl Strode's Review
Posted: December 5, 2006, 12:50pm
Breville Espresso 800ESXL

Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has 66 Reviews
Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has been rated 7.95 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 2, 2006.
Arrow Breville 800ESXL reviews have been viewed 545,953 times (updated hourly).

Steve Koellhoffer 10.00
H H 10.00
Pat D'Arcy 9.50
Ben Moore 9.00
L Blumen 9.00

Manufacturer: Breville USA Quality: 9
Where Bought: SGP Gift Exchange (Ebay) Aesthetics 10
Owned for: 2 weeks Overall 9
Bottom Line: Don't believe the nay-sayers.  Unless you are a Barista extraordinaire, this is a great way for a clod like me to cook up some espresso at home

Beautiful - Solid - Easy to use for a newbie.

I'm not smart enough to notice any.

The puck of grounds is sloppy if I try to whack it out right after extraction, but if it sits for a few minutes it mostly comes out en masse.  I have been using a spoon to scoop out the muck if I'm in a hurry.

The only reason I indicated that I would not buy again, is that I hope to be able to become part of the espresso elite and spend a whole lot more money on a whiz-bang espresso rig.

Right off the bat, let me say that I am a newbie.  The only other espresso "machines" I've ever owned or used are mocha pots.

So, this review is based upon very limited experience.

This is the first time I have ever seen crema in my own house!

This machine is equipped with a crema-enhancer filter basket.  I am told that it will produce "fake" crema from anything resembling coffee.

I believe the way this works is this:
The espresso under extraction pressure from the business side of the filter is forced through a single tiny hole in the bottom of the filter.  When the espresso goes from the 10-15 bar extraction pressure to atmospheric pressure, it bubbles and froths due to the sudden pressure drop.  In Engineering-speak, this is essentially cavitation.

Even though it will produce crema via pressure-drop induced cavitation, I can't imagine how this would prevent or impede real crema production.

I have found that depending upon the grind, and the degree of tamp pressure, that "real" crema is also produced with ease.  At least it sure looks like the numerous "God Shot" photos I have seen here on Coffee Geek.

The portafilter housing is made of plated brass (not aluminum as reported by some) and is quite substantial.  Warming it up with a short shot of water before extraction keeps the assembly toasty warm plenty long for a good extraction.

I've measured the water temperture at various times (e.g. heater just on, just off, or about to come on, etc.) to see how much fluctuation exists.  Temperature regulation is much better that I would have guessed.  My mesurements were made with a type K thermocouple held under the water stream, so the method leave a bit to be desired.  This technique is, however, vastly superior to a mechanical measurement with a thermometer.

Compared to the espresso I have made with my mocha pots, or that was served to me by numereous friends with their own machines, I really love the end product.  Espresso from the neighborhood Mom & Pop stands, (and of course Starbuck's) is inferior.  I guess that is what counts.

The 800ESXL is very user friendly.  It heats up from dead cold in a minute or so, and even my first try yielded a fairly good cup of espresso - albiet a bit watery due to my failure to tamp enough.

About an hour ago I made another shot with lots of tamp.  It took about 30 seconds to pull, and the flavor was great - with red-brown flecked crema that was thick and viscous, clinging to the side of my cup for the whole sipping process.  Adding a bit of sweetener required me to stir since it merely laid on top of the crema.

Tamping only lightly yields inferior results.  To my untrained brain, this debunks the comments of others that tell me tamping is useless on a pressurized machine.

I chose this unit partly because of its very sharp appearance and obvious external visual quality.

I chose this unit in spite of numerous negative opinions here on CG.  The regular crowd on CG are a bit rabid for my current state of espresso experience, and I was looking for a machine that I could operate, use, and enjoy, even though my skill level is essentially zero.

Hopefully, I, too, will become educated and skilled to the degree that I also will find this to be an undesireable espresso machine.  But, in the mantime, I am very pleased with the Breville's performance and the product it produces.

Bought on-line (Ebay) from SGP Gift Exchange.  This fellow is committed to a happy customer, ships very quickly, and responds to questions and comments with good humor and clear answers. A very pleasant experience.

Posted: December 5, 2006, 12:50pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.189252138138)