Breville 800ESXL - WholeLatte Roast's Review
Posted: October 27, 2006, 1:19pm
Breville Espresso 800ESXL

Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has 65 Reviews
Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has been rated 7.95 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 2, 2006.
Arrow Breville 800ESXL reviews have been viewed 513,815 times (updated hourly).

H H 10.00
Steve Koellhoffer 10.00
Pat D'Arcy 9.50
Ben Moore 9.00
L Blumen 9.00

Manufacturer: Breville USA Quality: 8
Where Bought: William Sonoma Aesthetics 10
Bottom Line: Beautiful-Solid-Friendly- Excellent for Cappas, not good for Golden Rule Espresso.

Aesthetically BEAUTIFUL!!!
Easy to Use
Solid
Excellent Customer Service
Self Priming

Pressurized baskets
Unstable temperature due to Thermoblock system
Tray fills very quick due to the Self Priming feature.
2.2 liter tanks does not last long due to the Self Priming Feature.

I fell in love with this espresso maker and I paid 399 plus tax in William Sonoma.. Later on I bought one for my father on Ebay for 285 brand new, full warranty, go figure.....
No other espresso maker looks as this one, everyone raved about how cute and solid it was.
I managed to pull nice cappas, however, I was unable to pull a decent espresso shot.
Unfortunately, due to the Thermoblock system whick heats the water when it passes by, the temperature is not very stable and this is the main reason it comes with pressurized baskets whick help to overcome this issue.
The espresso always looked good, even with staled coffee.......the problem was that they either bitter or sour.
In order to get a good espresso you have to stick to the Golden Rule, 40 pounds tamping, 25 to 30 seconds for a 2 ounces shot, however, because of the pressurized portafilter,  this rule does not apply....
The bottom line is, with  a regular espresso maker, if you stick to the golden rule, you'll see the results in the shot, with a beautiful dark tan crema, with the Breville, the shots will always look nice, no matter what you do or what kinf of coffee you are using.
Later on, I purchased a Rancilio Silvia and the shotsthat I'm pulling are wonderful. Obviously, I had a hard time learning how to use it properly, and tamping the coffee properly, now I won't ever go back to a Thermoblock System.
If you just want a beautiful and solid espresso maker that is VERY friendly to use, this is the one. If you really care about the espresso and want to join the major leagues, get the Rancilio Silvia, you won't regret it.
PD. I even managed to find NON pressurized baskets to use them with my Breville, but the shots were not good(and did not look)at all which shows that the Thermoblock is not enough to maintain an stable temperature to pull a good shot, unless you use the pressurized baskets.

I bought it from William Sonoma(excellent customer service), later on I found it way cheaper on Ebay.

Posted: October 27, 2006, 1:19pm
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.18398308754)