Breville 800ESXL - Hammer Tennesix's Review
Posted: November 20, 2009, 2:27am
Breville Espresso 800ESXL

Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has 66 Reviews
Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has been rated 7.95 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 2, 2006.
Arrow Breville 800ESXL reviews have been viewed 545,817 times (updated hourly).

Steve Koellhoffer 10.00
H H 10.00
Pat D'Arcy 9.50
Ben Moore 9.00
L Blumen 9.00

Product Reviewed: 800ESXL
Manufacturer: Breville (Chinese origin) Quality: 10
Where Bought: Web Aesthetics 10
Bottom Line: Works very well, is sensitive to grind; Can't anyone else see how to add water?!?

Beautiful design, simple user interface, heats quickly, works!

Needs a non-pressurized filter basket - there are a couple that fit, others have covered that. Got mine at PartsGuru.
The drip tray fills up fairly quickly due to the steam dump after each pull, needs to be emptied after 5 pulls or so. But, it's a home machine, I don't make 20 espressos back to back.
Seems to need the steam wand cycled before it gets really serious about frothing.
Doesn't seem to like the ultra-fine grinds.

I like the looks, it's obviously beautiful. Many machines look (dare I say) Japanese, too much surface detail, this machine is positively Copenhagen in comparison.
The controls are dead simple, it makes steam and it pumps espressos. The temp light is a little optimistic, you need to let it sit for a minute even after the light goes out.
The steam output seems a little odd, but I have discovered that if I let it run for a few seconds, and then cycle the selector knob, the steam output increases dramatically.
Also, I've noticed in the reviews that many people commented on having to wrestle the tank out to fill it -- it fills from the back! Press that button on the top back, the back pops open, pour your water in, snap it shut! The tank is only removed for cleaning.
I know we can debate beans, grind, and tamping until the End Days, but I have found a happy space with some messing around. Chocolatey, nice crema, not bitter. Doesn't every machine on Earth have a different combo that works best? All I need from the machine is pressure and hot water -- I can handle the rest.
Being a directions-reading guy, I honestly kind of have to discount the negative reviews from people who haven't figured out how to put water in the machine!

Sad to say, I can't remember where I got it, found it for -- get this -- $140, brand new, factory sealed carton. Just kept poking around the Web 'til I found it. Came fast, no problems at all. That may have been the deal of the century, but I'm happy with it. Saw it at the mall for $400!

Posted: November 20, 2009, 2:27am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.19767999649)