Ascaso Steel - Ryan Johnson's Review
Posted: March 14, 2011, 10:32am
Ascaso Steel Espresso Line

Arrow The Ascaso Steel has 20 Reviews
Arrow The Ascaso Steel has been rated 8.13 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 19, 2005.
Arrow Ascaso Steel reviews have been viewed 147,165 times (updated hourly).

Leszek Nowosielski 9.50

Product Reviewed: Ascaso Steel Duo Professi
Manufacturer: Ascaso Quality: 9
Where Bought: JL Hufford Aesthetics 10
Owned for: 2 weeks Overall 9
Bottom Line: Great machine - Dual boiler at the cost of a single boiler!

Fast startup, Great coffee, rich crema.

Haven't found one yet - when I do - I'll update the review.

I've been using a saeco super-automatic for the past 3-4 years. While I liked the convenience, I never liked the quality of espresso itself in it. Weak, with no crema - no way to make a double shot etc always bothered me, but I found the regular espresso machines too bothersome. Either they were expensive and required a long startup time (HX machines) or they were single boilers that required quite a bit of waiting between the espresso and the steaming. I like to have a good crema layer while I start pouring the milk in so that I can try my hand on some latte art (I manage a decent one now and then - even on the weak crema from the saeco), and don't like waiting for longer than 10 or so seconds after I steam the milk so that the steam doesn't separate from the milk. Unfortunately, with the single boiler machines - either you wait with the espresso for a minute or so - which loses crema - or with steamed milk for a while - which separates the foam. Not ideal!

And then  I discover this Ascaso Steel Duo Prof - I paid $837 - including shipping from JL Hufford  - and it includes a Ascaso I2 grinder, and a bunch of other freebies (milk thermometer, steaming pitcher, 1lb coffee). Can't beat the price!

It took me a bit of trial and error (10 coffees worth) with the grind fineness and the temperature - but now I am making consistent coffee with a great layer of crema. I get decent crema in a single shot and great crema in a double. As good as the espressos from the local specialty shop. The steam is powerful enough for me to make decent latte art.

Overall, I think this is the best machine in the market now at this price point.

JL Hufford is great.

Posted: March 14, 2011, 10:32am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.194849967957)