Ascaso Steel - Jean-Michel Laprise's Review
Posted: June 10, 2010, 9:11am
Ascaso Steel Espresso Line

Arrow The Ascaso Steel has 20 Reviews
Arrow The Ascaso Steel has been rated 8.13 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 19, 2005.
Arrow Ascaso Steel reviews have been viewed 144,535 times (updated hourly).

Leszek Nowosielski 9.50
Jeff Spirer 9.00
Damian S 9.00
Sean Sweet 8.60
Ryan Johnson 8.00

Product Reviewed: Steel Duo Prof
Manufacturer: Ascaso Quality: 8
Where Bought: 1st Line Equipment Aesthetics 10
Bottom Line: Beautiful easy to use machine. Slight limitations, but makes great coffee.

Looks great, clean lines, nice design. Solid construction. Dual boilers makes making coffee as simple as can be. Makes a great cup if you let it.

Steam pressure cannot be controlled independently. I've had to bring it in to the shop for a cheap repair (split hose). Once in a while the coffee button doesn't work until I press the steam button to "unstick it".

I really love this machine. I'm a Mac user and I feel this is a machine that will appeal to Mac users more than PC users. Looks, design, ease-of-use and great functionality are my main requirements, and they are this machine's strong points. But as with any "Mac" product, you pay a bit extra and make some sacrifices.

For example, you can't independantly control the steam pressure, which means that you have to watch the heating cycle to get really good foam (that is, if you froth your milk just after the blue light goes off indicating max heat, you'll get better results than at the end of the cycle). I'm also told pros don't like the "gadget" attachment on the steam wand, but as a "Mac" user, I like it, you just keep the little hole aligned with the surface of the milk and it'll make nice foam. Maybe you can get something even better without the gadget if you're an expert, but it makes a great cappuccino as is.

Also, I've had some mechanical issues, a tube had to be replaced as water was leaking on the way to the group head. Fix was cheap and easy. Another issue I've had is that sometimes pressing the coffee button won't start the brewing process, I have to activate the steam to get it started. It's not a regular issue, but it's happened a few times.

But in the end, I love the machine. It looks great, works great, and makes great coffee and foam. I'd happily buy it again.

Bought from 1st line Equipment online, no issues. Had to get it serviced locally as shipping it back was way too much trouble, was extremely happy with the service I got from Cafe Union here in Montreal, cheap, great quality repair work, great service, thanks guys.

Posted: June 10, 2010, 9:11am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.18750500679)