Ascaso Dream - Måns Kämpe's Review
Posted: July 6, 2004, 2:23am
Ascaso Dream Espresso

Arrow The Ascaso Dream has 22 Reviews
Arrow The Ascaso Dream has been rated 8.11 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since November 4, 2003.
Arrow Ascaso Dream reviews have been viewed 250,188 times (updated hourly).

Joel Bristol 9.50
Robert J. O'Brien 9.00
Phil Goodlaxson 8.50
Glen Crompton 8.40
Anders N 8.14

Manufacturer: Ascaso Quality: 6
Where Bought: Kaffeexperten Aesthetics 8
Bottom Line: A great-looking machine which also makes very good espresso and latte.

Great looks, good solid quality feel, works as it should, and makes great espresso, cappucino and latte. Small footprint and internal cable storage adds to appearance.

The swap between espresso and steam takes some time, so making lattes for a 10 people dinner party would take a while. The drip tray has sharp edges, and isn't easy to get out if there's more than one spill in it. Cup warmer isn't hot enough.

I bought the Dream as my first espresso machine, and did some pre-purchase research comparing it to Gaggia and Brasilia machines in the same price range. The design of the Dream fit our kitchen way better, and that it still produced great espresso. I bought a red one, which adds a very nice splash of colour to our sleek scandinavian kitchen.
This review is for the 220V european version, and the price is the swedish street price (which, as you can see, is significantly higher than US prices).

Installation was simple enough, I just took it out of the box, plugged it in and ran some water through the grouphead and steam wand to clean out any manufacturing leftovers. I then started pulling shots, and after a dozen or so I had dialled in my grinder and tamping to make espresso with a decent crema.

The grouphead is solid chromed brass, and the machine maintains a good working temperature. The pump is a little noisy, but produces a nice steady flow. When I switch over to steam it takes a minute or so to get up to temperature, and then produces great steam. No problem getting good microfoam as soon as I had practiced listening for the right steam noise.

Emptying the drip tray involves lifting the net which doesn't have anything to grab, so I usually stick the back of a spoon or something down to lift it. The actual tray has small holes on the sides to lift, but the edges are really sharp metal so some caution is recommended. This I learned the hard way... The blood was easy to wipe off, though.  :-)

All in all a great machine, part of the price is for the design but it is not unreasonable compared to other kitchenware. I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't also make great espresso.

I bought it from Kaffeexperten in Stockholm, and it took them some time and confusion before they got everything right. However they compensated with a bunch of bean bags, so all in all I remain a happy customer.

Posted: July 6, 2004, 2:23am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.189690113068)