Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Finding the Best Airport Coffee????
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Finding the Best...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 12:18pm
Subject: Re: Finding the Best Airport Coffee????

yeah, been there...but made the mistake of getting espresso drinks.  They're prep technique and subsequent shots were horrible.  Next time I'm there though...I'm going to follow your advice!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 2:34pm

The Espressamente Illy kiosk at the Norman Y Mineta San Jose International Airport in terminal B is not to be missed if you are flying through there.  I had the third good espresso in a calendar year here.  Bright, not acidic with excellent crema, good depth of flavor.  Sure, you do not get a fresh, fresh roast, but the Illy attention to blend and quality works against that shortcoming.  I was given a croissant free ‘because it is our last one, and it is small’.  But do not count on it.  The reviews on line for this stand are almost all excellent for the coffee but very spotty for the service.  In fact, upon arrival, there was no one at the counter, so someone walked over from a neighboring bakery stand to take my espresso order but made me wait for three minutes while she disappeared somewhere, so I left uncaffeinated.  Upon departure, there was again no one at the counter but soon a young woman appeared and seemed to know her machine well (small talk helps), so I ordered the above mentioned very satisfying single shot and ate the croissant, as well.
Peet's in terminal 3 at SFO (both of them) does not do a thing for me.  I think it is the espresso served in a paper cup that kills it.  They have NO porcelain.

Buckley
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 2:42pm

I used to like Peet's a lot. I'd say it's been several years (about when Mr. Peet died) that they really went down hill. Their airport locations have ALL been atrocious, since the beginning of time. Given the high quality found elsewhere, I've stopped doing business with Peet's entirely...except for the subscription I keep for my Mom's Decaf Major Dickason's Blend.

Buckley

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014, 6:00am

Continuing this thread, if anyone is interested.
During a layover in London's Heathrow airport, terminal 3, I approached three coffee vendors with the idea of reporting upon them for CG: Caffe Nero, Est Caffe and Costa.  I am sorry to say that I did not bother to sample the espresso from any one of these businesses.  The reason why is simple.  All of them had the dosers of their grinders 1/2 to 3/4 full of already ground coffee.  I am sure that I could have written something about the range of quality as it existed, such as it was, but I am just tired of spending good money on bad coffee, so that is my report.  This seems to be the way coffee is done at Heathrow.  I am home now with a good cup of Americano and taste buds unbruised by any assault from airport coffee.

Buckley
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 2:21pm

I can't vouch for the coffee quality at Heathrow, but the vendors should not be criticized for using dosers exactly as they were intended: loaded with grounds for even dosing. In a busy environment, such as the Italian coffee bars for which they were invented, staling should not be an issue, unless you were stuck in a middle of the night stopover.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 6:08pm

really, it depends on how long the grinds have been sitting there.  Let's continue with the mindset that Buckley knows what he's doing in assessing cafes...after all, he's probably written the most cafe reviews on this site in his sojourner threads.

Buckley

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 10:54am

emradguy Said:

really, it depends on how long the grinds have been sitting there.  Let's continue with the mindset that Buckley knows what he's doing in assessing cafes...after all, he's probably written the most cafe reviews on this site in his sojourner threads.

Posted January 19, 2014 link

MarshallF Said:

I can't vouch for the coffee quality at Heathrow, but the vendors should not be criticized for using dosers exactly as they were intended: loaded with grounds for even dosing. In a busy environment, such as the Italian coffee bars for which they were invented, staling should not be an issue, unless you were stuck in a middle of the night stopover.

Posted January 19, 2014 link

Thanks, Ron, appreciate the support.
MarshalF, you have a good point and, as I mentioned, for a good review I should have at least tasted them to see whether my oberservations were significant or not.  I had no small bills to exchange and I did not want to be stuck with a wad of useless pound notes, I did not want to board the next flight with my window seat having three coffees under my belt, and I wanted to sleep on my way home.  Cafe Nero had the busiest lines and probably had an excuse for the full dosers, as you point out, but Est and Costa were dead (it was lunchtime) and those dosers were not going to significantly change in 15 minutes.  I am comparing them to other airport vendors.  In the US, I do not see full dosers, even at the busy Peets kiosks.

B
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Finding the Best...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.23465514183)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+