Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Finding the Best Airport Coffee????
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Finding the Best...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DigMe

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Wed May 7, 2008, 1:16pm
Subject: Re: Finding the Best Airport Coffee????

Coffee People at PDX was ok when I tried it.  The problem with most airport coffee shops is that the "mano" is pretty much taken out of the equation since the baristas there are usually not trained very well at all...even less so than the average non-airport barista it seems.

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 8:55pm

Dredging up this old thread to post about espresso at Seattle-Tacoma airport (SEATAC). I was traveling through concourse C Sunday when I spied a paddle-group La Marzocco in a coffee kiosk (takes a CoffeeGeek to spot a LM in a crowded airport terminal).

Anyway, it is part of the Beecher's cheese shop (excellent sandwiches by the way). I am not sure if it is run by Beecher's or by Caffé Vita, but they brew Caffé Vita coffee. This morning I stopped in. The double shot I had was a comfort blend, deep dark chocolate and cherry. The sweetness intensified as the shot cooled. The barista apologized for stopping it about a second early, but it was really excellent.

Highly recommended - SEA terminal C gate C6

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 1:48pm

Klatch opened recently in LAX, though I have not tried it.
gophishin

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 7:29am

Terminal 4 at Sky Harbor (PHX) in Phoenix is becoming a coffee and food goldmine for the traveler.  

For coffee, Cartel has a spot with their typical LM Strada setup, pulling their locally roasted SO varieties in addition to v60, aeropress, and I think I saw a chemex.  Lola, another Phoenix roaster also has a stand, but I have yet to visit that side of the terminal.  Press Coffee, out of North Scottsdale also has a location in terminal 4, although it typically swamped, it will still get you a far better drink than the starbucks or peets options available.  

As a side note: some really good local restaurants in the valley now have locations in terminal 4 as well, and the airport is working to expand that concept to other terminals moving forward.  I didn't think I'd see the day when I skip my morning coffee and breakfast knowing I can get good espresso and will have a tough time (in a good way) choosing which restaurant to eat from.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 5:50pm

johnnyb3 Said:

Klatch opened recently in LAX, though I have not tried it.

Posted October 31, 2013 link

I reviewed the Klatch LAX location back in February - shortly after they opened. It was disappointing, but not awful...definitely not up to Klatch standards. My conversation with the barista (before she made my drink) was basically me: We're you trained by Heather? her: Yes?  me: Me too!  So I was expecting it to be better. I haven't been to LA since, so I don't know if it has improved. I'm hoping that Mike and Heather have cracked the whip and the location has stepped it up a couple of notches. If I get a chance, I'll stop by later this month. I'll be changing planes in the United terminal (where they are) on my way to and from my brother's house for T-giving.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jrfeler

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus III
Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 7:20pm

Last time that I flew through Phoenix, I saw (but did not have time to stop at due to an exceedingly short layover) a place called Press Coffee that was using what looked to be a Slayer machine. I looked up the shop after the fact, and it appears to be an outpost of a roaster in Phoenix by the same name. So at least the beans are probably ~fresh.
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 7:13pm

I got a chance to try both Press Coffee and Cartel Coffee Lab on a long layover in terminal 4 of the Phoenix airport.  I recommend Cartel's airport location over the Press's location in the airport based on service, atmosphere, and taste of the coffee.  It didn't help that the espresso that Press was serving was pulled into paper cups instead of ceramic either.

I would like to get a chance to check out Press's and Cartel's non-airport locations, but for the airport trade, Cartel takes it in PHX.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 7:43pm

When I was there last year, I enjoyed the coffee at Cartel a lot. The location I was at was way too young, LOL, right next to campus.

Not that this is about airport coffee.

I have noticed, in general, that it's getting better though. I was happy to see CBTL replacing *$ but the ones mentioned above are better yet.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Dec 1, 2013, 9:39pm

emradguy Said:

I reviewed the Klatch LAX location back in February - shortly after they opened. It was disappointing, but not awful...definitely not up to Klatch standards. My conversation with the barista (before she made my drink) was basically me: We're you trained by Heather? her: Yes?  me: Me too!  So I was expecting it to be better. I haven't been to LA since, so I don't know if it has improved. I'm hoping that Mike and Heather have cracked the whip and the location has stepped it up a couple of notches. If I get a chance, I'll stop by later this month. I'll be changing planes in the United terminal (where they are) on my way to and from my brother's house for T-giving.

Posted November 1, 2013 link

Please excuse me for quoting myself, but it seems appropriate in this situation (as a point of reference).
I visited the LAX Klatch location twice this past week (it's in terminal 7). They've definitely improved since my first time there (see above quote). However, nobody working during the shift when I came out from Houston knew what a cortado is. When I explained 1/2 espresso - 1/2 steamed milk, they told me they call that a macchiato. I replied that Heather knows the difference and suggested they get more training. What I got was ok, but not really a cortado. On my way back home, I stopped there again and got a cappa. It was very well made, and I could highly recommend them based on hat drink alone.

Also, for those who like blended drinks...The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf has a location in terminal 8, which is about a 5 minute walk from Klatch. I got a Black Forest ice blended thing there after the subpar cortado, and it was as good as the ones I've had at their regular locations...I gave the barista a nice tip!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 8:47am

Ever fly into Mia (Miami International Airport) must hit up Cafe Versailles for various Cuban style, killer lol.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Finding the Best...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255901098251)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+