Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Finding the Best Airport Coffee????
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Finding the Best...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
christiang

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Mini Gaggia
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly, Porlex...
Vac Pot: Hario 2-cup
Drip: Chemex (Kone and paper),...
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2008, 4:06pm
Subject: Finding the Best Airport Coffee????

((OK. There isn't a good spot for this since it's really a global, question and not confined to the west coast but I'd be interested in people's opinions/finds about the best airport (or Airplane) coffee.

Of course, I'll qualify this immediately, that I'm sure even the best coffee posted about here is going to be leagues behind coffee anywhwere else, but, let's face it, when you're travelling you don't always have the luxury to grab anything else. I will say that I would (and have) gone a terminal or two over if I knew there was something decent to be found

So here's my starting bid. I'd put in for The Coffee People in Portland (PDX) or Dazbog in Denver (DEN).

I did notice that New York magazine voted for Dunkin' Donuts (Click Here (nymag.com)), also perk of flying on Jet Blue, and there is a thread about this over on the Australia, New Zealand and Asia board that makes me want to go travel in New Zealand (Click Here (coffeegeek.com)).
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mitchellb

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2008, 4:42pm
Subject: Re: Finding the Best Airport Coffee????

There is a new Peet's in Houston Hobby.. They use super autos, but it's a step up from a franchised $*

i would agree with coffee people in pdx
 View Profile Link to this post
cloistered
cloistered
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2008, 8:34pm

When I last went through I couldn't spare the time, but perhaps someone else has tried the Intelligentsia kiosk at O'Hare?

Jonathan Withers
Verve Coffee Roasters
http://www.bravelittleroaster.com
christiang

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2008, 11:29pm

Really!? I hadn't heard about an Intelligentsia kiosk.  That's certainly a step forward in airport coffee. Do you know where it's located?
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2008, 11:41pm

I have had coffee from the "Intelligentsia" place at O'Hare. It is in Concourse C, around gate C20 I think...

It is not run by Intelligentsia. I asked the people serving the coffee what origin it was and I got a blank stare. It was not bad, but had obviously been sitting in the pot for some time and tasted stale. Not a great showcase for Intelly's coffee. It also does not sell beans.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
christiang

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2008, 3:34pm

I guess we can now all add "fresh roasted" coffee from Starbucks to our list of Airport spots. Alright, just kidding. Well sort-of. It does make the airport coffee landscape just possibily a little bit brigher, but not a lot.
leftcoastlatte

Drip: delonghi
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2008, 8:10pm

My hubby and I have flown in and out of O'Hare quite a bit but would only do Starbucks or Peets...
gsylvest

Posted Mon Apr 28, 2008, 11:55pm

The place that serves Intelligensia coffee is in the United C concourse by Gate C20 near the UA Customer Service desk.  If you go thorugh the psychadelic tunnel between B and C concourse, go up the elevator and it is in the food court at 1 o'clock.  The first vendor on the left in the food court has a sign advertising Intelligensia.  They do not sell whole beans but make sure to ask for them.  Maybe they'll take the hint.

I'm a very frequent flier and don't know of a single airport in the US that has anything other than garbage espresso.
PrivateShrink

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Gaggia MDF, Macap M4
Vac Pot: French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 Roaster
Posted Sun May 4, 2008, 4:11pm

Funny this should come up. A couple of years ago, I ran into the Intelligentsia kiosk at O'Hare, and I just couldn't help myself so i ordered a double. The woman who pulled it certainly didn't strike me as much invested in what she was doing, but the espresso was VERY good. I happen to really like Black Cat, and while I can't be certain that that's what it was, it tasted like it...very surprising it was so good. Have to agree on the Coffee People at PDX, but I heard that Coffee People might have gone out of business.
gislipals

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Macap M7KR
Roaster: iRoast 2
Posted Sun May 4, 2008, 4:35pm

Keflavik Airport here in Iceland has 2 cafes, one at departures and one outside arrivals. Both have La Marzoccos and trained baristi, though I've only had a shot from the departures one and it was quite good. the cafes are both Kaffitár
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Finding the Best...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.220022916794)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+