Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
San Gabriel Valley?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > San Gabriel...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
espressophile
espressophile
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Innova
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 8:58pm
Subject: San Gabriel Valley?

I'll be in the general area next weekend.  Is there anything out that way?  I'm familiar with (the existence of) De Cafe Baristas in Monterey Park (Intelly).  Is there anything else worth thinking about or going to?
Thanks.

looking for signs in the sky
following ghosts, following visions

http://www.twitter.com/espressophile - the every espresso project
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Chang94598

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 9:35pm
Subject: Re: San Gabriel Valley?

De Cafe Baristas serves mostly Herkimer for espresso nowadays, in addition to Intelly. Do try the hand drip, especially if Ethiopian coffee is available. Even though it is not on the menu, you can also ask for siphon.

If you are also near Downtown/Little Tokyo, try Demitasse and Cafe Dulce, both not too far from Monterey Park.
http://cafedemitasse.com
http://www.cafedulce.co

Additionally in Downtown, Handsome:
http://www.handsomecoffee.com
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 7:43am

Also in the San Gabriel Valley, though a little further from Montery Park than downtown L.A. is the San Dimas Klatch location.
espressophile
espressophile

Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 11:32am

Not really going to be headed toward downtown LA at all (a bit too far out of the way), but we will be in the I-210 corridor all the way out to San Bernardino.  My wife is from Taiwan, which is why we're pulling off and hanging out in the San Gabriel/Monterey Park/Rosemead/Alhambra/etc area.  I'm familiar with Klatch, of course, and we were at the Rancho Cucamonga location last time.  It's good (and a possibility depending on transportation and timing logistics), but we're after different experiences/options this trip. :)

Parts of the San Fernando Valley may also be an option, but I've just seen a listing on Yelp for a Counter Culture/Handsome account in Santa Clarita that's closed on Sunday, so that's not going to work.  Maybe on the way down...

Herkimer is a little boring as espresso IMO, but as long as it's poured well; I'm not sure how high my expectations are, but considering you can get both Sightglass and Ritual in Cupertino (and decently-done), it seems that the southland might have some equivalent place...

espressophile
espressophile

Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 12:12pm

Has anyone been to or heard of Taza Social Cafe in Arcadia?  Supposedly multi-roaster and every single-cup brewing method known to humankind.

emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 12:15pm

there's a place in Valley Village...what's it called again????....ummm...yeah, that's it...Steam Punk!

Sort of a conflicting place.  The website makes it look like a top notch artisan house, and they even have a barista challenge night, where you ask him to do any design you want on your milk-based drink.  Having grown up in the SF Valley, I get there annually to visit friends and family.  Last January, I dragged my wife over to VV to check out Steam Punk.  As the kids were asleep in the car, we took turns going in for our drinks.

So, I introduced myself and struck up the I'm a CG conversation.  Me being a home user, I wanted to know which Mazzer grinders I was looking at (hey, at least I could tell that much).  The wife owner (husband/wife team) was sitting at the bar on her laptop when I went in.  She hadn't a clue...didn't even that they were Mazzers!  And didn't even recognize the name!  In fact, she didn't know jack about any of the equipment they had, and I suspect she couldn't pull a shot to save her life.  The Barista at least knew the grinders were both Mazzers, but was otherwise in the same boat as me.  I told him to look at the badge.  I think one was a SJ, but my memory "isn't working today" (as you can see from my opening).  I ordered an espresso macchiato (yeah, risky, but I figured it's just a couple of bucks and nobody can force me to drink it).  It was ok, drinkable, but nothing to write home about.  Given we were there mid-day, I'm guessing the night barista is the one who is "the sh!t", maybe even the husband owner knows something...but I didn't get to find out.  Best part of the excursion (besides getting the skinny on the place) is my wife still raves about her mocha.  Yeah, it was that good!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 2:47pm

espressophile Said:

Has anyone been to or heard of Taza Social Cafe in Arcadia?  Supposedly multi-roaster and every single-cup brewing method known to humankind.

Posted May 26, 2013 link

I've heard of it, never been there. If you go, let me know. It's about half way between me and LA :)

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Chang94598

Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 3:09pm

Intelly's location in Pasadena will be within San Gabriel Valley. From Monterey Park, about 20-30 minutes depending on LA traffic. Early in the morning on weekends though, at least parking is easy.  I feel the Pasadena location has easier access than the Silver Lake location from Monterey Park.

The other downtown cafes are actually with 7.5 miles from De Cafe Baristas, but then again, traffic.....although I could hit all three in one late afternoon on Sunday without too much angst.

Another cafe worth mentioning is Cognoscenti at 3156 Glendale Blvd, LA. It is again not within San Gabriel Valley proper but "close" enough by LA driving standard.
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 9:20am

espressophile Said:

Posted May 26, 2013 link

I've been to Taza once just to test it out.  Had an espresso shot that was single origin, Africa I think.  It was a good experience with good atmosphere.  Limited parking in the back, but here is a tiny lot if the street parking is full.

Not enough of a coffee/espresso-phile to give a proper review of the place though.  It was on par with Demitase cafe in Little Tokyo.
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 5:05pm

espressophile Said:

Posted May 26, 2013 link

Taza is very good. They source from several high-end roasters. Highly recommend it, especially given where you are staying.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > San Gabriel...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283538103104)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+