Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Anaheim?
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Anaheim?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012, 5:09am
Subject: Re: Anaheim?

I would agree it does not necessarily correspond to wealth. I think it corresponds to the success of the first one.

We recently, in the past year, had what was just a classic coffee place in a nice small city decide he needed up his game. He had steady clientele and was in no danger of *$ putting him out of business. He became our areas 3rd on site roaster and he does a great job. His small city has 2 now. The larger entity is still the most well known, Klatch. (And there are about 30 miles between the two of them, give or take, and in between only *$ pretty much)

I think larger areas that have a down town or other similar region that is well traveled have a better chance because they can support multiple establishments within a small geographical area and it just seems to grow from there.

This is just pure opinion, nothing based on fact.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012, 6:58am

I know that what you are saying is true but I have spent a lot of time in that shop, talking with the roaster and staff, they agree that a lot of milk is too cold and that the proper temp should be in the 140 to 150 range, that is not too cold and is not burnt so you may just have had bad luck with the barista who served you.

I do know about the need to watch time, sometimes I stop in and fly through when I am between jobs on the road, just zip in and out with no time to chat.

I do feel bad though that I advised you of a shop and your time there was not up to the high standard that we seek here. I am sure if you are in the Southland again, and gave them another chance, you would be happy. Sorry, (yes I know it is beyond my control and you made a choice but I feel bad none the less that your time there was not as good as it should have been)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Ozark_61
Ozark_61
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Behmor 1600, SC/TO, Poppery...
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 10:54pm

We're headed there next week with the family - planning on bringing a hand crank / aeropress if there aren't any decent options in town!  Just checking to see if folks have any updates to share on Anaheim cafes.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 8:14am

Anaheim, because of Disney and the convention center, tends to cater toward more "middle-brow" tastes. It's just as hard to find a really good restaurant in Anaheim (unless you're enough of a Disney insider to be able to dine at the hidden Club 33 at Disneyland, which is for Disney execs and special guests, mostly), as it is to find excellent coffee. Everything there is aimed more at getting you in and out while removing as much cash as possible from your wallet than it is at high culinary quality. At least such has been my experience. As our friend Wayne is fond of saying, "YMMV."
 View Profile Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 5:39pm

Best place in Orange County is still Portola in Costa Mesa

do you game?:
Ozark_61
Ozark_61
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Behmor 1600, SC/TO, Poppery...
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 7:43pm

GVDub Said:

Everything there is aimed more at getting you in and out while removing as much cash as possible from your wallet

Posted May 15, 2013 link

Sigh... thanks anyhow.  I can hear the giant sucking sound already.  I guess I'm a sucker for the ear-to-ear grins of my 5 & 6 year old's faces with all the Princesses.  Sucker born right here... LOL.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 6:13am

Actually, Club 33 is a private club that anyone can join, well, er, get on the waiting list for. Membership is closed as of the last time I checked but if you have the $$$$$$$ to join and there is a spot open, anyone can get in.

The food served in the Blue Byou which is located under Club 33 serves the same food from the same kitchen.
I would not buy coffee at Dland anymore, they have moved to SA machines in most places.

As for independent coffee shops, I really like Kean more than Portola, I really don't know why, Portola serves excellent coffee, I guess I feel a little "more at home" in Kean, anyway, either place serves great coffee.

To eat, outside of "the park" well I am not aware of any 5 star places but good food can be found.

What are you looking for, anything in particular and where in OC are you going?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 9:28pm

I've only been to one of the two Kean locations and I felt like I was in a busy bar on pick up night. I was easily the oldest person in the place and old enough to be most people's mother at least, if not grandmother. It was noisy, you couldn't hear the person at the table talk to you.

Kean + = the hot chocolate

Portola + = Theorum, open space and if you are with someone who likes tea, the tea bar next to it (Owned by the same guy).

To each our own.

When my daughter was down for Christmas, she has two places on her list that Mom has to bring her back to next time she's down. One is Portala and Theorum, the other is The Iron Press around the corner. Waffles, tater tots and beer (If you drink it). Well worth it.

do you game?:
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 4:04am

Interesting,
When I am there, people range to their 60s+
I have never had issues with talking to anyone due to noise,
I have been there many times from about 8 am to late at night with my wife after visiting DLand ,
You must have zigged when I zagged in relating to the shop conditions

My take on the atmosphere ....

Kean, warm, cozy, inviting with nice places to sit and talk.
Portola, a free standing booth in the center of a mall walkway, a place to go for take out service.

This is why it is great that there are multiple places to go, we can choose where we want to be and get great coffee in either place!

I never said portola was bad, they are not, they have great coffee, I am just more comfortable at Kean.

YMMV for sure!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 11:55am

In Long Beach on 2nd street in the Belmont Shore area is Polly's, a local roaster with roaster on-site. Great selection of beans and drinks, he also roast peanuts in the shell. I'm not fond of the chocolate they use in their Mocha's, but otherwise very good staff.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Anaheim?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.25758099556)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+