Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Help:  Good Espresso in Marin?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Help:  Good...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
BizBeanCounter

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Sylvia (just...
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 5:14pm
Subject: Help:  Good Espresso in Marin?

Just moved up to Marin from Socal.  In LA, I was blessed with great coffee all over the place (Intelli, Klatch, Cafe Luxe, etc.).  In the 3 tries I've made up here so far, each was worse than the next.  I'm hoping to find a great cafe that can pull a real shot of espresso and that can source me with good (non-super dark roast) beans.  If you know of any places either in Marin or north SF (Presidio), please help!
 View Profile Link to this post
espressophile
espressophile
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Innova
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 9:15pm
Subject: Re: Help:  Good Espresso in Marin?

There's a place in Sausalito called Cibo, which serves Blue Bottle.

looking for signs in the sky
following ghosts, following visions

http://www.twitter.com/espressophile - the every espresso project
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
RoyceRuiz

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 2:34pm

Sorry to dig up a old post but did you find anything or check out the reccomendation?  Anyone else know of anything?
espressophile
espressophile

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Innova
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 4:13pm

Rustic Bakery (locations in Novato, Larkspur, and San Rafael) serves Stumptown.
Element Coffee in Tiburon serves Verve.

looking for signs in the sky
following ghosts, following visions

http://www.twitter.com/espressophile - the every espresso project
Intrepid510

Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 10:48pm

Equator in Mill Valley, but i am looking for something in downtown san rafaelů.

Less water, more grounds.
RoyceRuiz

Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 10:56am

Intrepid510 Said:

Equator in Mill Valley, but i am looking for something in downtown san rafaelů.

Posted March 6, 2014 link

I saw Equator in downtown Mill Valley. I checked out their website and they seem to not be quite up to the usual standard around hear.  (example, they don't have much of a focus on freshness/ time since roast date, they have several dark roasts, they have a ton of coffees, they seem to sell alot of preground coffee etc.)  However they also had alot of lighter roast coffees and alot of single origins so I don't know.  Since you have experience with it is it really good or is it just the best you can get in the area?  My impression before you recommended it was that they are kind of an old school roaster trying to bring in some of the third wave crowd, while trying to hang on to their mainstream Starbuck group too?  More details?
danmc

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014, 10:05pm

San Rafael is a ghost town for decent espresso.
Intrepid510

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 8:39pm

I have had good espresso from Equator beans, its good stuff at reasonable prices. They are a roaster that is mainly a wholesale roaster, the Mill Valley is their only shop, newly opened no less, and they have been around since the 1990s. They are good, just because they roast some dark doesn't mean they are bad.

As far as downtown San Rafael, I am happy to see the build out for Taylor Maid inside the Copperfield's bookstore is almost complete. Should be at the very least a decent place to get coffee, hopefully more.

Edit: Equator also has a shop in SFO.

atarinaper

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM Strada MP
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Able Kones, Chemex, Fetco
Roaster: nope
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 7:04pm

RoyceRuiz Said:

I saw Equator in downtown Mill Valley. I checked out their website and they seem to not be quite up to the usual standard around hear.  (example, they don't have much of a focus on freshness/ time since roast date, they have several dark roasts, they have a ton of coffees, they seem to sell alot of preground coffee etc.)  However they also had alot of lighter roast coffees and alot of single origins so I don't know.  Since you have experience with it is it really good or is it just the best you can get in the area?  My impression before you recommended it was that they are kind of an old school roaster trying to bring in some of the third wave crowd, while trying to hang on to their mainstream Starbuck group too?  More details?

Posted March 7, 2014 link

Equator rocks. They roast coffee for people of all sorts. Their Tigerwalk espresso is decent, lots of dark chocolate and sweetness. I've always had great shots whenever I'm in the area for a stop at Proof Lab.
Intrepid510

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014, 12:38pm

Taylor Maid is open and servicing people inside the Copperfields in San Rafael! I am glad to finally be able to get a decent cup of coffee walking distance from work.

Best part about Taylor Maid those you can buy their single orgins green for $5.00/lb.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Help:  Good...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242646932602)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+