Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Tucson Coffee Experience
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Tucson Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
bluenewt
bluenewt
Expertise: Intermediate

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2002, 5:04pm
Subject: Tucson Coffee Experience

I was in Tucson for a Sci-fi convention last weekend (I live in San Francisco) and after 2 days of hotel coffee (horror) and bistro coffee (El Charro), I was happy to end up at Raging Sage for fresh roasted brew. I didn't get to spend a lot of time checking out their roaster or beans, but the cup of coffee I had was good, and the place looked pretty cool. I've been to the Coffee Exchange across the street, and it wasn't as good as RS.

I think I'm finally beginning to understand why people respond to the question, "Where is the best coffee in X city?" with the answer, "My house." When I travel, my home-coffee is one of the things I miss most.

--Becky Herndon

Rebecca Herndon
My pic was stolen from this comic. http://wso.williams.edu/~dgambrel/catgirl/cgcircle.gif
Read them all at www.catandgirl.com
 View Profile Link to this post
rcs914
rcs914
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar OC, PID'd Silvia
Grinder: Lux & Cimbali Jr
Vac Pot: E-santos,Santos, Hario
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Roaster: Turbo Crazy
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2003, 3:23pm
Subject: Re: Tucson Coffee Experience

Well this reply is several months late, but since I live in tucson, I thought I should comment.  Tucson has a lot of places that roast coffee, but only one place where I will actually drink the coffee and that is Safehouse on Alvernon and Speedway.  I used to like Raging Sage, but they do not take nearly the same care in espresso preparation that Safehouse does.  I at first liked the espresso from RS, but after roasting at home and pulling my own shots for so many months now, my tastes are somewhat refined.  The last time I was there I couldn't finish my double.  However the same does not hold true for Safehouse.  I went there a week ago, and still found their espresso quite drinkable.  I like my own better, but I still found it tasty.

Chris

Please remember CoffeeKids throughout the year:  www.coffeekids.org
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
dohfoh

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:30pm

This reply is (ahem) several YEARS late, but it's only because I think it's worth mentioning that the very recently opened Crave Espresso Bar serves rather amazing espresso.

craveespressobar.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
LiftOff
LiftOff

Espresso: Synesso Cyncra
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue May 1, 2007, 9:46am

A must visit in Tucson is the Coffee Vein! Barista Magazine chose five shops to highlight for it's latest April/May issue and the "Vein" was one of them. Exquisitely pulled shots of espresso by a seriously talented crew!

Mid Atlantic Regional Barista Championship band, The Cassettes approved!   ;-)
Psyd
Psyd

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Sun May 6, 2007, 3:16pm

LiftOff Said:

A must visit in Tucson is the Coffee Vein! Barista Magazine chose five shops to highlight for it's latest April/May issue and the "Vein" was one of them. Exquisitely pulled shots of espresso by a seriously talented crew!

Posted May 1, 2007 link

Recently touted by some gothkids as, "Like the Safehouse, but for grownups".  Trevino cringed when I told him, but they actually meant it as a compliment!
So, Tucson is a bit of a big city in small town britches.  Post the locations/addresses!  The 'Vein' is near I-10 and Speedway/Grant, but the Sppedway exit is gonna close for the next few years (!?!) so get off on Grant if you're passing through, and take a left on Stone.  It'll be on teh right, before you get to Speedway.  The 'Safehouse' is on Speedway, just east of the city's center, on the south side of the street.  'Raging Sage' is on Campbell Ave, just north of Grant, a handfull fo blocks north of the University of Arizona.  There are a few places downtown that don't suck, but jsut barely, and there was one that showed promise near the UofA, but started to suck horribly.  They killed an Elektra Belle Epoque, and jsut let it sit. I may trade them my Astoria (you've seen it's little sister at the 'Sage) for the 'Belle...  HMMMmmmmm...
Downtown, make your way to a 'Shot in the Dark' on Brodway, jsut east of Sixth on the north side of the street.  The coffee is a bit lacking, but still better than quite a few of the other places within walking distance, and the food is good.  It's an eclectic lil place with its own quirks, but it is comfy.
Tell em where you're at, and I'll tell you how far it is to salvation!
Worst case scenario, you can make it to my place!

BTW, where the heck is the 'Crave'?
Oh, and never,  I mean never, go to a mexican restaraunt for espresso...

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
icravecrema

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Magister ES 100-3, ES 40
Grinder: Nuova Simonellis, Grinta at...
Vac Pot: nope. Coffee presses
Drip: Bunn double brewers in shop.
Roaster: No. I buy from microroasters
Posted Sun May 6, 2007, 11:28pm

Hi everyone,

I am the owner of Crave Espresso Bar and we are new on the Tucson scene. Someone asked for our location. We are located at 4530 E Broadway, which is in the same strip mall as Beaver's Band Box and Zivaz Mexican Bistro. So far our customers have given us excellent feedback and we really appreciate the mention on this site! I hope we can please discriminating coffee drinkers in this town. Just a side note: we use a local roaster and we bake our pastries fresh in house, in case anyone judges these aspects. Come in and try a drink. If you mention this thread on coffeegeek I will give you your first drink on the house - anything you like.

Kim Sciabica
Crave
(520)325-3637

BTW, I really like doppios at the Vein and the fresh pastries at Raging Sage.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Tue May 8, 2007, 5:31pm

icravecrema Said:

Come in and try a drink. If you mention this thread on coffeegeek I will give you your first drink on the house - anything you like.

Posted May 6, 2007 link

I'll be the one in the AZ colored bike jersey.   Which local roaster, if I may ask?  (...having rosted his first pound of beans in the last week!)

I think that just showing up here says more about the quality of the coffee than either the local roaster or the inhouse pastries.  Although, if you make a decent cheese danish I'm in serious trouble.
I can't tell you how many baristi (and I use the term loosely) I've suggested come here or frequent some of the other coffee sites to gain insight on their craft, who have just sort of blown it off.  I've learned more about espresso here than anywhere else!

Jasonian
Jasonian
Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue May 8, 2007, 9:36pm

Psyd Said:

I've learned more about espresso here than anywhere else!

Posted May 8, 2007 link

Ditt.

Another cheese danish fiend?  Hello, chum.

www.AJCoffeeCo.com - www.espressotrainer.com - www.TX-Coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Wed May 9, 2007, 2:25pm

Jasonian Said:

Ditt.

Another cheese danish fiend?  Hello, chum.

Posted May 8, 2007 link

Yeah, I knew there was a reason that I liked you.  OTOH, let's see what the latest lipids profile uncovers. If I'm below 200, danish may be in my future...

edit:  Under 300, but still a bit high.  No cheese danish for me, unless someone has come up with a way to make it with no-fat, no cholesterol cheese and butter.  Somehting tells me that even if they do, it just won't be the same...

Psyd
Psyd

Posted Mon May 21, 2007, 1:50pm

I went in for a second 'Italian Cappuccino', and it was so good I was licking foam off the cup before I realized that I had neglected my traditional half-teaspoon of sugar!
I really like the place, and this time I got to spend a few minutes chatting with Kim, the owner.  She's in it for the love of coffee, and it seems that her staff are in it for the same reason.  Other than tempting me with the dreaded Cheese Danish, it was great!  ; >
Tell your friends...

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Tucson Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.303267002106)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+