Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Portland Oregon Coffee
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Portland Oregon...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
gshokar
gshokar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV-V
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012, 12:00am
Subject: Portland Oregon Coffee

Visited Portland this weekend and made it a point to visit a few renowned cafes, and all of them impressed!  If you are looking for amazing espresso and ridiculous pour over coffee's that will change the way you look at coffee you must visit these cafes.  
I especially love the number of roasters that roast within the cafe, as you cannot get fresher, higher quality beans, than ones that are roasted at the cafe.

Also note the barista's are exceptionally friendly, I had a few questions and they would provide answers in detail regardless of the lineup that quickly formed behind me.  Also the pride and love each barista took when pulling a shot or making a pour over was a pleasure to watch.

Espresso:
1) Coava Coffee roasters - Had a shot of the Costa Rica - Finca Zarcero, and experienced the mythical perfect shot.  Will forever seek this shot.
2) Public Domain coffee - Great shot, excellent crema just the right amount of acidity but wasn't as complex as I would like
3) Stumptown coffee roaster (downtown) - Startling similar to Public Domain shot, but crema was not as prevalent.  

Pour over Coffee
1) Public Domain Coffee - Had the El Salvador Las Delicias pour over, the barista was well trained and took love in preparing the cup.  I can still taste the coffee 3 days later.  Best coffee I have ever had.  You must drink this coffee’s black, no cream, and no sugar, to fully appreciate.
2) Stumptown coffee roaster - Excellent pour over, great taste, smooth yet complex enough to enjoy every sip.
3) Coava Coffee roaster - You know... the metal filters they use for their pour overs just don't quite deliver the same coffee you get with chemex filters.  You will end up with more coffee residue in the cup and the coffee just doesn't have the same taste...
 View Profile Link to this post
TonyVan

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012, 8:36am
Subject: Re: Portland Oregon Coffee

gshokar Said:

...Coava Coffee roaster - You know... the metal filters they use for their pour overs just don't quite deliver the same coffee you get with chemex filters.  You will end up with more coffee residue in the cup and the coffee just doesn't have the same taste...

Posted February 20, 2012 link

Thanks for your thoughts on your Portland experiences.  I've often had about the same reactions, so only have to differ with you on the Coava Kone pour-over you mention.  Yes, there can be a slight residue, but very, very little in the cups I've had there (and much less than press-pot), but nonetheless the clarity and fullness of flavor with the Kone is beyond what I've been able to get with any other method.

Unless, using some other method, you have made and know well the same coffee that was Koned for you at Coava, it would be very difficult to determine whether it's the method or the specific S.O. that wasn't quite to your taste.  Pour-over with paper filters - especially Melitta whites - can also be outstanding but I think most people would agree with you that coffee with the paper filters doesn't have "the same taste" as the Kone coffee -- and actually because paper takes you in the wrong direction and the Kone results are that much better!
gshokar
gshokar

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV-V
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex
Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:56pm

As a scientist, I would argue the Kone wouldn't provide the same filtratation to that of a paper filter.  With the metal filter, you have microperforations that controls filtration and the coffee can only be filtered through those perforations.  A paper filter is made up of many paper fibers overlayed which is called a microporous structure.  The coffee filtration will be more even with paper filters over a perforated metal filter.  Perforated metal filters will also create inconsistent pressure points, not sure what that would do to the taste.    

Now paper filters would likely transfer more of its taste to the coffee over the metal filters, as paper absorbs moisture but there likely will be some metallic taste transfer with the metal filters.

Perhaps I'll develop a glass filter  :) or shutup and enjoy the chemex.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 7:40am

Without meaning to start a "metal v. paper" debate -- truly, I don't -- the only time I get a "paper" taste with a Chemex or Melita white filter is if I do not rinse them.  (Brown? Forget about it!)  Now I admit I do not own, nor have I used a Coava Kone, so this is not a debate about which is better.  I have no idea.  But in terms of any sort of paper taste, it's non-existent in my experience when tasting pourover coffees made with properly rinsed Chemex/Melita paper filters and tasted side-by-side with those "gold tone" filters . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 5:58pm

Have plans for September, can't wait.

Any place else on someone's must visit list? (Staying downtown but should have a chauffeur at least some of the days.)

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 6:13pm

cerridwyn Said:

Have plans for September, can't wait.

Any place else on someone's must visit list? (Staying downtown but should have a chauffeur at least some of the days.)

Posted July 16, 2012 link

Barista, Barista, Barista.   Must stop here .  Their staff know their coffee; are professionals, not hyper-sales clerks.  Great experience.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 6:48pm

Besides all of the above, both Heart Coffee and Ristretto Roasters have an equally strong following - highly recommended too.  

But once you've been to all these great names, find a way to get to 5th and Alder downtown and visit Spella for something different, a tiny cafe but with Andreas Spella's absolutely superb roasts designed for and pulled through a three-group lever machine.  And it's done by terrific baristas who are arguably the friendliest in a very friendly coffee town.  Odds are, Spella may be the espresso or experience you'll longest remember.
strfish7

Espresso: Cremina, Europiccola,...
Grinder: HGOne, Pharos, Vario
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 12:32pm

+1 for Barista.  Excellent people who care about espresso. Also, Spella is worth looking at...I had shots from Andreas when he still had the food truck.
atarinaper

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM Strada MP
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Able Kones, Chemex, Fetco
Roaster: nope
Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 12:25pm

Heart is on my top 5 roasters right now and near the top. They've roasted some of my favorite coffees this year, from their Ethiopia Adulina and Yukro, to their S.O.E. Guatemala El Limonar. While up there during USBC's I was given excellent service and exceptional coffee and have continued to get that when ordering coffee from them this year.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
janlloyd

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012, 3:29am

Hi!

It's my favorit.. It like it and the coffee has a great taste!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Portland Oregon...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248783826828)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+