Regional: United States West
LA Home Roasting Charrette: Sunday Sept. 9th, 9:00am @ Cafe Demitasse
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > LA Home Roasting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012, 10:45pm
Subject: LA Home Roasting Charrette: Sunday Sept. 9th, 9:00am @ Cafe Demitasse

I'm really excited about this one, and I know a lot of people have asked about it.  On Sunday September 9th there will be a Home Roasting Charrette at Cafe Demitasse.  Greg from Trystero will be bringing his expertise and some greens.  I'm hoping to get a variety of machines there.  Weather permitting we will be roasting some coffee out on the "porch".  I'll be handling all of the incidental stuffs, so just come as you are.

I want to emphasis that this charrette is really for anyone and everyone.  Roasting your own is immensely rewarding on several different levels.  It's one of the few "gourmet" activities that combines cost savings and increased social responsibility.  From the outside it can look very difficult, heck even from the inside it can present some serious challenges if you decide to really get into it, and I think that this kind of workshop environment will be a great way get past that.  Interested in roasting your own for the first time?  Come on down.  Bring a friend.  You may lease with a batch of freshly roasted beans (quality of the roast may vary).

If you want to come and have a bit of roasting gear that you can bring, please contact me. So far there will be:

Roasters
Behmor - Russel
Behmor - Nick
Poppery - Brian
Hottop* - hudsterboy

Greens
Trystero
The Conservatory for Coffee and Tea

There has also been some interest in a "roast exchange". I would love to hear if people are interested in that. I would be happy to coordinate the collection, sort of a bring 1/2 lb - take 1/2lb thing. So far, the following poeople will be brining 1/2lb of roasted beans:

Russel
GVDub
frank828

-Russ
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 7:36am
Subject: Re: LA Home Roasting Charrette: Sunday Sept. 9th, 9:00am @ Cafe Demitasse

I had to miss the brewing one, due to last minute stuff that happened, but i will do my darndest to make this one.  I'd also be interested in a roast exchange and will bring a couple half pound bags if that's going to happen. You probably don't need another Behmor, but I could bring the 18 amp Variac along, in case there are voltage issues.
 View Profile Link to this post
russel
russel

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 9:19pm
Subject: Re: LA Home Roasting Charrette: Sunday Sept. 9th, 9:00am @ Cafe Demitasse

UPDATE:  The Home Roasting Charrette is still on!  I will be updating the original post as people commit to bringing gear or 1/2lb of beans for a roast exchange.  Everyone is welcome!
pittsbri
pittsbri
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livietta,Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Vario,Zassenhaus
Drip: Hario,Chemex
Roaster: Poppery 2
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 12:25pm

Great. See you there! Can't wait.

www.brianpittsphotography.blogspot.com
frank828

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 2:29pm

hmm i have work at 10am so if i make it i cant stay for long.

maybe i'll try to get there by 9 and get a "coffee and a pastry" and see if i can drop off some roasted beans and say hello.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 10:12pm

Just heard about this get together (Thx George)..

OK for a San Diegan to attend?

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
russel
russel

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 10:16pm

Of course!  Coffee is for everyone.  There is a Dutch word, gezellig, and I think it describes both the tone that I hope these charrettes strike and the demeanor of the crew at Cafe Demitasse.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

By the way, I'm Russ.  Nice to meet you Joe.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 10:25pm

Let me reconfirm a few things and if I can get an extra Gort in to bring along..

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
frank828

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 10:37pm

tahoejoe Said:

Let me reconfirm a few things and if I can get an extra Gort in to bring along..

Posted August 24, 2012 link

oh my.  i may have to force myself to get there.
frank828

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012, 4:44pm

the charettes are getting a bit of pub.

here's a blurb about them in the LA Weekly blog

Click Here (blogs.laweekly.com)

very cool
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > LA Home Roasting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.261528968811)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+