Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
LA Home Coffee Meet-up, AKA a " coffee charrette"
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > LA Home Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 12:52am
Subject: Re: Attn: everybody coming in to Demitasse on Sunday, May 20

i'm planning on coming out with my gf.

any interest in me bringing my cheapie modified saeco via venezia?  i have the naked portafilter and just hooked up a dimmer switch for pressure profiling.   I've been playing with it all night and it's been really really fun.
 View Profile Link to this post
Cammie

Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 9:20am
Subject: Re: LA Home Coffee Meet-up, AKA a " coffee charrette"

Planning on being there with a friend but will likely be late
russel
russel

Espresso: 73' Cremina, '74 Club,...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 9:41am
Subject: Re: Attn: everybody coming in to Demitasse on Sunday, May 20

frank828 Said:

i'm planning on coming out with my gf.

any interest in me bringing my cheapie modified saeco via venezia?  i have the naked portafilter and just hooked up a dimmer switch for pressure profiling.   I've been playing with it all night and it's been really really fun.

Posted May 19, 2012 link

There are a couple of people brining a +1 so to speak, which is great!  I would really like to mess with your modded Venezia, I've been thinking of buying a used one  for exactly that purpose.  I'm think we currently have more gear than the circuit at Demitasse can handle, so if you do bring it please be prepared to not use it or only use it a bit.  I'm not sure what people are going to be most interested in.

Would it be interesting to do some sort of budget gear charrette?  Maybe "$500 Espresso" thing with machines and grinders that can be paired to fit in that budget?  Might be a nice opportunity to show off some mods.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frank828

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 11:37pm

boo, something came up and i dont think i'll be able to make it tomorrow morning.  sorry, russel!

thanks for setting it up, though!
LACoffeeClub
LACoffeeClub
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 12:44pm

SO MUCH FUN!

We had, yes we did! Want to put a big thanks out to Russel & Cafe Demitasse as well as CoffeeGeek.com and everybody that showed up this morning!
It was awesome meeting you all, and after 7 shots - Antone can't stop dancing, I'm gonna start calling him Kaldi!
For those who could not attend, you really did miss out - We brought beans from Groundwork - the Angel City Blend.

I think I counted at least 3 different home espresso machines that were brought in, and at least 4 or 5 grinders.
Lots of really intelligent coffee conversations were had and we learned so much!

- will upload videos & photos soon!

thanks again!

-Adam
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Cammie

Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 1:15pm

Very enjoyable morning. Ty Cafe Demitasse, LACoffeeClub, Russel, Wayne and everyone who brought in espresso grinders and machines for show and tell. It was a great opportunity to learn and a chance to pull shots on a variety of machines. We very much enjoyed meeting some of the Coffeegeek members in person.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 4:18pm

What a gas! Great people, great coffee, great time. Plus, Demitasse is a very cool little cafe. I had a cappa while waiting for all the machines to warm up and Jack built a sweet one on a really nice shot of the single origin Columbian (I think he said Colombian, at least) they were doing for espresso. Also went home with a couple of their house mugs, which are quite a nice design, and a 12 ox. bag of the Ethiopian Sidama Ardi they had, just because the beans smelled absolutely amazing. It was great to meet everybody, Russell, Ryan, Adam, Antone, Wayne, Cammie, and the folks whose names I didn't get firmly ensconced in my brain. Wayne's got his technique on the ECM down to a science, and it showed in the shot quality. The other two shots I had were from Russell's Stradavari and Ryan's Ponte Vecchio Lusso (Yeah, I'm a lever kinda guy), and they did fine jobs likewise. The Stradavari shot was ground in the Pharos, and now I've got gear lust for a modern hand grinder to complement my collection of vintage German ones. Not to mention a renewed lust for a Lusso as a counterpoint to the Caravel. Probably should learn to do mile drinks one of these days, and you need a steam wand for that.

The Groundwork Angel City Blend was quite nice - a modern, American espresso with a lighter touch on the roast. I liked it enough that I'll have to pick up a bag and spend a little time getting to know it. The biggest downside of home roasting is that sometimes, I'm so concentrated on refining my own roasts that I forget to taste what other folks are doing. It's not good to get so isolated that you start to lose track of what's good out there. Besides it's always good to remind yourself of what targets there are to aim for.

Really looking forward to whatever and whenever the next one is. If you couldn't make this one, I strongly recommend doing whatever's necessary to make it to some future event. Well worth while, it was.

addendum: Susan, sorry your name didn't spring immediately to mind as I was writing this. After the meet-up,I went for a 27-mile bike ride and had a whole series of adventures involving headwinds, quadriceps cramping and a pretty spectacular rear tire blowout. Probably hurt my concentration.
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 5:10pm

Was good. I had way too much coffee.

A small pic of just a few of the 'toys' people brought.

cerridwyn: toys 2.gif

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
pittsbri

Expertise: I like coffee

Roaster: Poppery 2
Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 9:56pm

I'm so sorry I missed the charette. I was looking forward to it but thought that the date would be in June.
haven't looked at this thread In awhile. I apologize.....I was to bring a machine and so forth. oh well, was looking forward to meeting everyone. Next one then!!!'and I'll check the thread more frequently and get email notifications on thread posts.

www.brianpittsphotography.blogspot.com
russel
russel

Espresso: 73' Cremina, '74 Club,...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 10:06pm

Hi everyone.

The "Home Espresso" Charrette went very well today.  I want to thank Cerridwyn for showing up bright and early.  I want to thank Wayne and Ryan for bringing all of the gear that they did.  I too was pleasantly surprised by the Groundworks' Angel City Blend that LA Coffee Club so kindly provided us.  I haven't been very impressed with their regular espresso blend, but this one was much better.  Demitasse was really great, and some unsuspecting customers got a bit of an coffee geek eye-full.

I'm starting to work on the next charrette and have lots of questions for those who came to this one and those who are interested in coming to a future one.  First, I would love to know what anyone thinks can be done better.  I have some obvious logistical improvements to make.  The overall tone was casual, which is perfect for the first time.  How geeky do you think you would like your charrette?  I would like it geeky some of the time and to that end was thinking of having a slightly more focused and narrower topic.  The following are some ideas:

"home roasting exchange"
"brew methods (hot) and tasting"
"brew methods (cold) and tasting"
"espresso by the numbers (the time we measured everything)"
"lever espresso"
"espresso sans pumps and motors"
"espresso under $500"
"grinder shoot out: conical vs flat"

I'm looking into the 'home roasting exchange" right now.  I would love any feedback or ideas concerning topic, venue, logistics, timing, frequency, and whatever else you've got.

Also, for future reference, there's parking in Demitasse's building, and on Sunday (and maybe Saturday) it's free/$3-$5.
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > LA Home Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240337848663)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+