Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
slo coffee scene (san luis obispo, ca)
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > slo coffee scene...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
harrymanback
harrymanback
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Tue Jun 14, 2011, 7:14pm
Subject: slo coffee scene (san luis obispo, ca)

the happiest town in america just got happier. . .

i stumbled onto a new coffee shop today, kreuzberg*ca serving up verve.  it was just my first visit, but it seems like they're doing everything right.  i highly recommend slo-cals check out this spot.  prior to today, all i could recommend in the area outright was joe momma's in avila beach -- an outstanding cup serving up intelligentsia, however with limited hours and a bit out of the way.

also, with mixed feelings, there's joe bella in templeton and linnaea's in slo -- good coffee but mixed results in the barista dedication / training department.  and while i can't personally recommend the following, these shops are linked on the kreuzberg*ca website: nautical bean, sally loo's, and the steynberg gallery.

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jun 14, 2011, 7:26pm
Subject: Re: slo coffee scene (san luis obispo, ca)

Thanks, I'm hoping to check them out on Sunday at the midpoint of my trip.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Jun 20, 2011, 3:37pm

I was able to swing by kreuzberg*ca on Sunday on my way through San Luis Obispo, and I'm glad I did.

I partook in two very nice Sermon espressos, a press of the Guatemala La Esperanza and a togo press of the Colombia Nido De Oro.

All the coffee was very nice, served with little cookies, and the atmosphere was quite pleasant.  Even the wife and kids liked it.  I just wish this place were around 30 years ago and it was too bad I couldn't stay longer, but I had a very long trip still ahead of me.

yakster: Kreuzberg (Small).jpg
(Click for larger image)

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
CSlagle
CSlagle
Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011, 3:06pm

Andrew, Kreuzberg's coffee manager, is an ex-coworker of mine from Joe Momma's. I've stopped in there 2 times now while picking up some veggies at farmer's. First time was not so pleasant as the girls behind the counter were more concerned about taking a picture then helping a customer after me. The cappuccino I had was so-so. The second time was pleasant. Andrew was there and he made me a solid cap.
Also, JMs is still also getting Ritual for the clover last I checked.
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011, 12:28am

I drove from Los Angeles to the bay area and I stopped by the new Kreuzberg location in San Luis Obispo.

GaryH: SLO-Kreuzberg-1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011, 12:29am

Verve Streetlevel espresso pulled at Kreuzberg. I asked the barista if they use pressure profiling to pull Streetlevel. Her answer was that Streetlevel has almond and dark chocolate flavor. OK, never mind the question, just pull a shot. The Streetlevel espresso was... boring. Disappointing.

GaryH: SLO-Kreuzberg-2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011, 12:30am

While in SLO I also visited bello mundo cafe. They serve Ecco coffee. http://bellomundocafe.com/?page_id=75

GaryH: SLO-Bello-Mundo-1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011, 12:31am

Mitch pulled me a nice shot using coffee beans from Ecco. Milk chocolate, caramel, nice acidity. The mellow flavors and smooth body made me feel very relaxed after consuming it. Nice!

GaryH: SLO-Bello-Mundo-2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
kottonics
kottonics
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Linea
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popcorn popper
Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011, 2:32am

I wanted to comment on this thread because I am the Andrew named in one of the replies. I now work at Bello Mundo Cafe and am proudly serving Ecco Caffe. Kreuzberg Ca, became too much of a restaurant and less focused on quality coffee for my tastes. I am obsessed with coffee. I really believe Bello Mundo Cafe to be the ONLY real specialty coffee cafe in Slo. Quality is our utmost concern, with friendly and non pretentious service as out second. So if you happen to be in San Luis Obispo and want quality coffee served by true baristas  come to Bello Mundo Cafe.
harrymanback
harrymanback

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 8:45am
Subject: re: slo coffee scene (san luis obispo, ca)

since i saw a recent post about slo, i wanted to give an update to my original post. . .

yes, i'll echo some of what's been said above. bello mundo does have the most dedicated baristas, focusing intensely on each cup they put up (thank you garyh for pointing out the little café behind the red door had changed owners). one of the baristas has even started micro roasting some of his own in an expertly-executed diy project, selling these small batches to customers. also of note, i would keep joe momma's in near by avila beach in the category of barista dedication. i do still stop by kreuzberg*ca on occasion since they are a great hang-out and a great place to meet up with others who may have other interests beyond my coffee snobbery.

also, while i still haven't been over to the above mentioned sally loo's, a friend did tell me they are now pulling intelligentsia, which does put them in the "promising" category alongside kreuzberg*ca. i still am mostly roasting my own, then brewing cups and pulling shots at home, but that's my two cents as a s-lo*cal.

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > slo coffee scene...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.268634080887)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+