Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
FOUND!  Great coffee in Las Vegas!
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > FOUND!  Great...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Oct 17, 2010, 8:12am
Subject: FOUND!  Great coffee in Las Vegas!

Well, OK, maybe "great" is an exaggeration -- how about "very, very, very good coffee"?  And please note, I said coffee.  In terms of espresso, this place is still pretty much a desert (no pun intended).

The Social House -- a Japanese restaurant, bar, and club inside Crystals (the mall at City Center on the Strip) -- has a Hario siphon setup with (that I could see) seven siphons and three halogen heaters.  It's $15 for a 3-cup siphon.  The Ethiopian Harrar I had was very nice.  I should also mention that they have a 2-group La Marzocco Linea and three Mazzers, so someone there likes coffee!  (But I did not try any of their espresso.)

Also in Crystals, ground floor in the back, is a coffee-and-gelato place (I think they sell sandwiches too) called, simply, The Cup.  However, they have two 2-group Victoria Arduino Adonis machines, paired with three Nuova Simonelli Mythos grinders.  The macchiato I had was quite good, but I haven't had a chance to go back and try it a second time, nor do I know where they source their beans . . .

Cheers,
Jason

P.S. "The Cup" should not be confused with -- I swear to God! -- "The Pods," which is a Wolfgang Puck casual eatery with super-automatic Cimbalis . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Oct 18, 2010, 6:48am
Subject: Re: FOUND!  Great coffee in Las Vegas!

I should add that, both of these places being inside Crystals, they are really only convenient -- as a non-resident -- if you are staying at one of the hotels in and around City Center, or if you are shopping at Crystals.  I was at the Vdara, but I still didn't go there for coffee -- unless I was there.  Vdara has what looked like a K-cup UNIC machine -- wasn't bad; wasn't good; it was mediocre ---> it merely was.

eastbaysanfranman
eastbaysanfranman

Espresso: Nueva Simmoneli Oscar
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Technivorm/Chemex/Espro...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Aug 2, 2011, 1:14pm

Thank you Jason. I've been out of the loop lately and just realized that I never posted about my search for good coffee in Vegas on my trip last year. Since anyone searching for coffee in Vegas will be led here, I'll just post it now, I found none. Forget about Illy, you might as well go to Charbucks. (do like I do, get an iced coffee, ask for milk and half the pumps of sweetener and pretend to like it). My best hope was the blackcat being pulled at Vosges chocolate. After tasting the shot, I didn't even pay attention to the equipment being used. Perhaps it was the equipment, perhaps it was the barista, it just wasn't very good coffee. Perhaps I'll give it another try if I'm passing by. (they do, however, have terrific higher end chocolate). This all being said, we're staying at the Vdara in a few weeks. I'll try not to let a year go by before I report.
eastbaysanfranman
eastbaysanfranman

Posted Tue Aug 2, 2011, 1:30pm

PS (I'm writing this taking a chance of getting yelled at for veering), that sushi's expensive!!! Was it worth EATING there?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Tue Aug 2, 2011, 8:18pm

I was only there that one time, and that was nearly a year ago, so . . . it strikes me more as a "club scene" restaurant than a lunchtime sushi bar/restaurant.  The food was fine, but it wasn't outstanding.  I mean I'd probably go if I were again in Crystals and was hungry (and didn't want to go to Todd English's P.U.B.), but I can't see myself saying, "Hey, let's all go to Social House for some sushi!"  

Nah . . . .

eastbaysanfranman
eastbaysanfranman

Posted Thu Sep 1, 2011, 4:48pm

Well here goes:

We had a great time in Vegas. Lot's of terrific "foodie" items all over the place, and, as noted by Jason, great coffee at the Social House. The barista's name who runs the coffee bar there is Jonah. Really nice young man, not snobbish at all. And he was ecstatic to have another "geek" stop in. We probably spoke for over 45 minutes and come to find out he knows quiet a bit about coffee, (more than me for sure, which isn't saying much).  He poured me the Ethiopian from the halogen powered siphon which was probably some of the best coffee I have had in a long time. Rich, perfectly balanced acidity with notes of tangerine. He then proceeded to pull me a shot from the Linea and it was extremely respectable. (in Jonah's words, it has been pulling "juicy" lately). I do not have the type of palate that can pick up notes or undertones on a shot very easily but I do know when a shot is good and when it is not, this was a delicious and well balanced shot. Jonah explained to me where he sourced his beans from and I believe that he might have done this by mistake. He has plans for Las Vegas and does not want to give out too much information. This being said, I can assure you that they are from a reputable source. The problem Jonah has been having is that his coffee bar doesn't get any love. People on the strip just want to get drunk and don't care about specialty coffee so he doesn't get even close to the business he would like. Because of this, he explained that the coffee I was drinking was approaching two weeks since the roast date as he can't serve enough to have the turnaround he would like, within one week. I'm in hopes that this will change for him as he educates people in the area about coffee. I would encourage anyone who is sojourning to Vegas to stop in and to see Jonah. In my opinion, it will be worth your while. Call ahead first to find out his schedule. If you go in and he is not there he has trained some of the other workers to run the coffee equipment but he admitted that even though they do a decent job, it will not be 100% like it would be as if he was there. The coffee bar is in the front on the right hand side, by the regular bar so it is completely acceptable to walk up and to order a drink, even if you want it to go. But don't bring in any outside food as the management even though really nice, has a strict policy about outside food for concern of lawsuits if any food poisoning were to occur. (we walked in with pastries from Jean Phillipe hoping to have them with our coffee).

PS- I wrote "las vegas" in the search engine and could not bring up this post. Any ideas why? I'd like this post to be accessible for people so that they could find out about the coffee at the social house. Also- I did not try "the cup". I had written them to find out about their sourcing to no avail.
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011, 7:48am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

The Social House -- a Japanese restaurant, bar, and club inside Crystals (the mall at City Center on the Strip) -- has a Hario siphon setup with (that I could see) seven siphons and three halogen heaters.  It's $15 for a 3-cup siphon.  The Ethiopian Harrar I had was very nice.  I should also mention that they have a 2-group La Marzocco Linea and three Mazzers, so someone there likes coffee!

Posted October 17, 2010 link

They don't start serving coffee till 5pm! Nice setup. Still very nice to visit the Crystals mall and City Center.

GaryH: Vegas-Social-House-1.001.jpg
(Click for larger image)
eastbaysanfranman
eastbaysanfranman

Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011, 10:11am

Sorry to hear that Gary. I had coffee in the morning. Perhaps they were waiting for Jonah to come in that day.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > FOUND!  Great...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.241238117218)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+