Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Recommendations for Lake Tahoe
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Recommendations...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
syd
syd
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Sunbeam EM6910
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E
Roaster: Many
Posted Fri Jan 7, 2005, 6:40pm
Subject: Recommendations for Lake Tahoe

Hi - I'm visiting Tahoe and Squaw Valley for a couple of weeks.
Has any CG got a recommendation for espresso places?
 View Profile Link to this post
paulsdatter
paulsdatter
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: only at work
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: 2 oldies, LOVE EM!
Drip: pour-over melita
Roaster: big ole Probat
Posted Sun Jan 9, 2005, 10:22am
Subject: Re: Recommendations for Lake Tahoe

You have got to check out
Alpen Sierra

I think they have a couple of locations... but I have only ever seen their first little shop which is on the South Shore.
Many places around town serve their coffee, tho.
The green buyer is one of the most clever guys in the business.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bobbyque

Espresso: Millenium
Grinder: Macap
Posted Tue Jan 11, 2005, 7:31am

This last August we spent a week at the Marriott Grand Residence at South Lake Tahoe.  The rest of my family are late sleepers, so I spent mornings foraging around for decent coffee.  Easily the best was at this little wraps place-sorry, can't remember the name-right in the complex; if you face the main entrance to the hotel (I think it's off Heavenly Village Way, across from a shopping center and a Starbucks, on the opposite side of the building from the gondola), the shop is just a couple of doors to your right.  It's run by a guy (kid, really) and his wife that are fanatical about coffee.  He told me a story one morning about the time he and his wife were traveling, and she was so horrified by the espresso she was seeing prepared at one stop that she jumped behind the counter and gave a lesson on the spot!  

They have a sweet two-group Rancilio Epoca (how lame is that?  I can't remember the name of the place, or the proprietor, but I remember the machine).  Don't blow the place off because it's a sandwich shop; the espresso is great, and the food is really good too.  That said, these small businesses tend to come and go, and if ownership has changed your experience might be totally different.  There are other espresso shops in the area, but in my experience they weren't as good.

If you stop by, let me know how it was.
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:31pm

bobbyque Said:

Easily the best was at this little wraps place-sorry, can't remember the name-right in the complex.

Posted January 11, 2005 link

I've been there too during Labor Day weekend 2004. The place is called The Wrap House and they use Torrefazione Italia espresso beans (actually not a good sign). It was like, "this is weird, they use extreme care tamping the grounds and pulling the 2oz double espresso, in Lake Tahoe?, and this is not even a traditional coffee house!?". I had a nice 4oz machiato from them. Not in the same league as top quality coffee houses in Seattle though.

Avoid Wildman Coffee like the plague. They are also located in the Heavenly Village complex.
CrystalXanthine

Posted Sat Dec 19, 2009, 10:13pm

Bump...any current information on legit espresso cafes in South Lake Tahoe?  I'm going there in a couple days...would love a respectable espresso before I hit the slopes.

Thanks!!
wenus2

Espresso: Astoria, Oscar, GB5
Grinder: Mazzers
Vac Pot: TCA-5
Drip: Drop...clever
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Dec 21, 2009, 1:17am

Sorry, there are none in SLT.

If you are flying into Reno, "The Hub Coffee Co" on Cheyney St. is the real deal. They are currently pulling Intelly's Black Cat.
Enjoy the crap tons of new snow we got last week! :-)

enjoy the journey
-jw
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Wed Jul 7, 2010, 1:58am

I was in Lake Tahoe over the fourth of July weekend, and got to visit and walk around the pretty town of Truckee, and there I found.....

GaryH: Elijah-Bleus-Truckee-0.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Wed Jul 7, 2010, 1:59am

.......Elijah Bleuís coffee house in Truckee, located ~10 miles north of Squaw Valley, and the coffee house opened in November 2009. Elijah Bleuís is located in the historic railroad Loading Dock building. While I was there I saw the Amtrak train from Chicago to Oakland passing by. The sign inside the coffee house shows that they serve exclusively Blue Bottle coffee, but thatís a spin because thatís not special, itís just the way Blue Bottle does business. I asked the barista what blend he used to pull espressos and he told me that he didnít know. Asked some more and found out it was Blue Bottle Hayes Valley. Ordered a double espresso, which according to the barista was two pulls, so really a quad. So I ordered a single espresso to get a single double. They use a naked PF to pull espressos on a La Marzocco FB80. Looks like some channel spray going on, but this Hayes Valley espresso still tasted pretty good.

GaryH: Elijah-Bleus-Truckee-1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Wed Jul 7, 2010, 1:59am

I ordered a second Blue Bottle Hayes Valley espresso which turned out better. Good shot! I visited Elijah Bleuís twice over the long weekend and I enjoyed the Blue Bottle Hayes Valley shots I got. http://elijahbleus.com/

GaryH: Elijah-Bleus-Truckee-2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
kopidrinker

Espresso: SS Saeco Aroma w/ NPPF
Grinder: Compak K5, Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta 10 cup manual,...
Posted Wed Sep 1, 2010, 11:27pm

Great. Thanks for the info Gary. Can't wait to check out Elijah Bleu when I head over to Tahoe tomorrow. Finally a place to get decent coffee, so that I don't have to bring my java gear anymore.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Recommendations...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.269150972366)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+