Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Carmel, California, Coffee Houses.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Carmel,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 9:15pm
Subject: Carmel, California, Coffee Houses.

Carmel, located about 100 miles south of San Francisco, has lots of art galeries where you can buy truly beautiful paintings for $50k+, and where you can drink truly awful cappuccinos in beautiful coffee houses.

This coffee house is connected to the Il Fornaio Italian restaurant. This beautiful coffee house is completely round inside. The ceiling opens up to outside air. Cappuccinos taste slight harsh so I stick with mocas.

GaryH: Slide1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 9:15pm
Subject: Re: Carmel, California, Coffee Houses.

Cardinali. This small and cozy coffee house is located in a courtyard on Ocean avenue. Enter through the red doors to enter the coffee house. The cappuccinos are so bitter and harsh that not even adding lots of sugar can compensate for it. This awful taste might be due to a dirty espresso machine. I don't think severe overextraction can make cappuccinos taste this bad. I've visited the place a couple of times and it's always the same bad taste. So in this case a bad cappucino does not compensate for beautiful surroundings.

GaryH: cardinale.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 9:16pm

This coffee house is located in Pacific Grove which is next to Carmel. I love that red bench. Sit in the sun (if there's no fog), read a paper, and try to enjoy a cappuccino that has some harsh taste to it. The nice location barely compensates for the poor cappa taste. Better stick with mocas.

GaryH: caravali.jpg
(Click for larger image)
TechVP

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Apr 29, 2004, 7:29am

About 20 years ago(OMG! can it be 20 years?) I was stationed at Fort Ord which was just to the North of Monterey.  We used to spend most weekends in the Carmel area.  I fell in love and if I could aford to live there I would be there now.

5 years ago my ex and I went to Carmel for a vacation and stayed at the hotel the Il Fornaio is in.  I don't remember much about the coffee but I do remember the cafe you're talking about.  This was back before I took an interest in coffee so again, I don't remember much.  She never liked coffee, so I don't remember her having any.  My first ever espresso was after dinner one night at the Il Fornaio.  That I remember.  I suspect you're supposed to be happy about where you are and not worry so much about the coffee.  Did I mention that I love Carmel?  :)

I remember the second place with the red doors but I don't remember if it was a cafe then.  It's been a while.

Now, that I'm motivated to use up some of my vacation time this year and go back to that area, I ask you, where IS a good place to get coffee?

It's rainy here in Denver today, so this was a welcome treat.  Thanks!

(Hey!  Look at that, my first post!  I guess I should stop lurking.)
e53er
e53er
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, Solis SL90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: KMB, Hario V60 dripper
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Thu Apr 29, 2004, 10:06am

It's a safe bet to assume the tourists don't know any better and/or couldn't care less (take a look at the photo!). Accordingly, neither do the PBTCs. It's the ambience they're after.

BTW, the shop in the 2nd photo roasts their own. I once tried 1/2 lb. of  their espresso blend and found it unimpressive.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Malibar
Malibar

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot (stovetop)
Grinder: Rocky DL, Cuisinart...
Drip: Pourover Cone, Bodum...
Roaster: I wish
Posted Thu Apr 29, 2004, 11:24am

I lived in Monterey '96-'03.  Never went to Il Fornaio (Carmel was only valuable for a small swatch of beach and for harassing tourists); but the second shop --oh, man, I should remember the name-- was ok.  Not the best, but ok.  

TechVP, if you do ever make it out there, try Plumes.  It's in the central part Monterey (I can't justify calling it 'downtown'), on the corner of Alvarado and Franklin.  That place was my first barista job.  I love it.  It's under new ownership, so I'm not sure how that's influenced quality, but while I was there we comfortably held our own against a Starbucks 200 yards away.  Try the brew-by-the-cup at least once.  The Indian Malibar is a great light roast there.  As far as espresso, let's start with the barista. A tall Asian-looking guy named Jason should still work there.  If he's on the machine, you should end up happy.  Tell him Russell [that's me] sent you; he'll probably make your drink as top-notch as possible.  A few basic pics of the shop are on my website.

Hemingway had the ideal cofee shop figured out: "A clean, well-lighted place."
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Carmel,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.222723007202)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+