Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
coffee in menocino, CA
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > coffee in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jbb
jbb
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: silvia v2, la spaziale s1v1
Grinder: rocky, b. vario
Posted Tue May 18, 2010, 10:46am
Subject: coffee in menocino, CA

My family is planning a short vacation stay in a cottage just south of mendocino.  first "real" vacation in quite some time.  anyway, wondering whether need to pack rocky/silvia to meet  espresso needs or whether we can count on local suppliers.  i must say that just making drip in AM and then heading  into town for espresso would be preferable compared to packing all that brass and stainless steel.  google says there are two places in mendocino for espresso, Moody's organic coffee bar and Mendocino bakery and cafe.  do an GC members have experience with either of these places, or can recommend other alternatives in the area?

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
EspressoAmore

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: GB5s, Custom Piston
Grinder: RoburE, Vario, Swift
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex, Fetco
Roaster: PT's, Intelli, Klatch
Posted Tue May 18, 2010, 12:37pm
Subject: Re: coffee in menocino, CA

Thanksgiving Coffee Roasters is right up the road in Fort Bragg.  I am not sure of good shops but they do an alright job of roasting.  They might have a shop in the area... or a recommendation.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed May 19, 2010, 8:48am

It's a beautiful coast and sleepy little make-believe Mendocino is an ideal setting for great espresso. Unfortunately  Moody's did not come close to the espresso quality mark for me. (....I'll leave it at that...) I did not search for a local coffee experience much beyond there.  There's a cafe/bakery in Gualala, (further south) that was a bit better. (Our little getaway is to Irish Beach, just south of Elk) Great coffee in the morning is important for my vacation time, so I somehow make room in the trunk for espresso machine, grinder, and whatever is my best home roast at the time.  I say take what you need with you to enjoy your vacation.

Edit: just now looking at the Mendocino Bakery & Cafe references, it looks to be a much better chance for good espresso than Moody's.
Rawman
Rawman

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Wed May 19, 2010, 9:53am
Subject: Re: coffee in Mendcino, CA

No ideas in Mendocino, but have you considered packing a Mypressi Twist and grinder? I've read that even a hand grinder will do the trick.  The Mypressi is great with the Mazzer Mini though, but I haven't tried the hand grinder yet.  Beats the heck out of carting all that heavy equipment around.

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed May 19, 2010, 12:13pm

I need my first coffee first, in the morning. Driving 5 miles wouldn't work but I could stumble down a few flights of stairs or maybe walk a block or 2 to get it.  (We rent a house with kitchen,....the espresso machine is between sink and 'fridge.  I don't usually setup for espresso at Disney Hotel, but it sounds better then Nesco ;^)

It's a good cause for a small lever machine or such. The Twist sounds like it's worth a try if you can't fit a larger machine.   If forced to leave the espresso behind, I would still take fresh beans and grinder, and French Press or Clever Dripper.

Sorry for the thread drift, and that I didn't try the Bakery over Moody's.
jbb
jbb

Posted Wed May 19, 2010, 2:39pm

Thanks for input everybody.  Everything I've seen in pictures and heard from colleagues suggests it is indeed an idyllic region.

Saw there's a Mypressi Twist on the boards right now.  At $100 its tempting.  Two problems however.  One, wife only drinks milk-based drinks.  Two, I'm trying to keep the espresso war chest (such as it is) largely dedicated towards a new grinder at the moment. But we go on extended trips to the midwest during the holidays and a long term plan for traveling espresso sounds like something worth thinking about.

Based on what I'm hearing we will certainly try the local espresso for sure, the Mendocino bakery in particular, but will attempt to bring Silvia and Rocky along just to make sure.  We've got a box on top of the car so should have room for Silvia down below.  But the dogs will have to slide it on over.  

Silvia a la plage?  Guess that adds a new dimension to temp surfing.
jbb
jbb

Posted Sun Jun 27, 2010, 10:54pm

mendocino itself turns out to be an interesting mix.  those who could have been jerry's kids and the set who are probably his million dollar uncle.  but for espresso there is a place called thanksgiving coffee.  they serve their own blend roasted up in fort bragg.  it is quite fruity and acidic, but works passably well as a straight shot, although both of their baristas  were pulling the shots a bit too tight for me (la spaz double group and la spaz grinder; i counted at least 15 sec before the first drops).  gets lost in milk though.  i found this to be the best bet for espresso.

EDIT:  in looking back over this wanted to acknowledge EspressoAmore who had mentioned Thanksgiving Coffee earlier in the thread.  thanks; looks like they have a shop in town.  Frost, drove through gualala but we were behind and did not have time to try the cafe there.  maybe next trip.  for any CGers who make it out that way, by all means do the pleasant drive up highway 128 to hendy woods state park.  there's a small but magnificent stand of old growth redwoods; some truly huge and awe inspiring trees.  a real highlight of the trip.
Cracklebox
Cracklebox

Espresso: La Graziella lever
Grinder: Vario, Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama 3&5, press (hario,...
Drip: chemex, CCD, V60, bonmac
Roaster: Behmor, popper
Posted Sun Jul 18, 2010, 7:11pm

I'm glad I caught this thread before I took a trip up to Mendocino this weekend.  I was very pleasantly surprised by Thanksgiving coffee.  I went there 3 times for a total of 4 drinks (2 esp, 2 cap) from 3 different baristas.  Every drink was good and I was impressed by their consistency.  This place really caught me by surprise.  It's very unpretentious and homey cafe, without a trace of 3rd-wave style, but quality and consistency beyond what I've found from some highly regarded cafes.  I didn't try the drip coffee.  The espresso seemed to be of a standard double volume with fluffy, textured crema and a very full-spectrum of flavor, but most notably a strong smokey chocolate with slight, but near-minimal bitterness.  The baristas all pour latte art and the milk texture was good, way above average, but could be improved to be more velvety.  
I was also impressed by their small batch roaster in the shop which is used for roasting coffee for retail.  In the roasting area, they had a V-60 bar, but I'm not sure how/when they use it.  The bags of coffee available were very fresh with roast dates on the bag (hour included).  They seem to have it narrowed down to a light roast and a dark roast, excluding any subtleties.  
Thanks for the tip!  It was especially good to know about, since I packed my camping supplies so poorly that although I brought fresh beans, a grinder and aeropress, I didn't pack a pot to boil water or a mug (slaphandonforehead).

Cracklebox: thanksgiving.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Cracklebox
Cracklebox

Espresso: La Graziella lever
Grinder: Vario, Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama 3&5, press (hario,...
Drip: chemex, CCD, V60, bonmac
Roaster: Behmor, popper
Posted Sun Jul 18, 2010, 7:14pm

The shop roaster.  Their coffee is available in local markets, probably not as fresh as it is here.  The market up the street had a sign posted about a fire in their roasting facilities.  I wonder if they're using this roaster more.  Oh, and I want one of these!

Cracklebox: thanks-roaster.jpg
(Click for larger image)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > coffee in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.246312141418)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+