Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Notable Espresso/Coffee Houses in Phoenix/Tucson areas
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Notable...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Woody
Woody
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi I
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Hoover
Drip: yuck
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Mar 20, 2010, 9:55pm
Subject: Re: Notable Espresso/Coffee Houses in Phoenix/Tucson areas

Went to AZ last week.  My daughter and I had some time to kill, so we hopped the Metro light rail in Tempe and rode downtown to Lux.  We weren't sure which stop to get off, and ended up getting off 1 stop too early.  While waiting for the next train, some dude on a cool black bike, dressed in black with tattoed arms rides by.  My daughter says "I'll bet he knows where the Lux Coffeebar is".  We hopped the next train and rode it to the next stop, 1/2 block from Lux.  And guess who was pulling shots?  The guy on the bike!!  We shared the story with him.  What a hoot.

Jon
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Mon Aug 2, 2010, 10:38am

I was at Cartel coffee lab in Phoenix last week. The outside of the coffee house looks a bit spooky. What's behind that door? Answer, a real cool coffee house!

GaryH: Cartel-Phoenix-1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Mon Aug 2, 2010, 10:39am

V60 bar at Cartel coffee lab.

GaryH: Cartel-Phoenix-2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Mon Aug 2, 2010, 10:39am

I had two Brazil S.O. espressos, which had nice dark chocolate with nice fruit flavor. Not that much body, but overall nice shots!

GaryH: Cartel-Phoenix-3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Mon Aug 2, 2010, 10:40am

Lux sux. It's not that bad, but the espresso tasted pretty boring and had some minor carbon flavor.

GaryH: Lux-Phoenix.jpg
(Click for larger image)
jd2020
jd2020
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3, Moka Pot
Grinder: Vario, Virtuoso, Kitchenaid...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso MT500, Melita cone
Posted Sun Jan 9, 2011, 4:48pm

A ways back, someone mentioned Village Coffee, in Scottsdale, aka "The Village Coffee Roastery".  Its located at North Hayden and Via De Ventura (exit 43 on the 101).  I had a superb americano -- traditional -- and a nice cookie.  They look like a class act, and the americano was the best I've had in a very long time.  

Very friendly staff and the place has a good vibe.  If in the area, I highly recommend checking it out.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Psyd
Psyd

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Fri May 6, 2011, 4:26pm

Updating AGAIN: New content is in Italics.

In the Tucson area:
****Caffe Luce, Park Ave north of University Blvd
      Elixer  Sold
      Cafe VanGo Closed  Jason moved to PHX and is working on a new project. look for him at the Mesas Bookmans Cafe?!
****Avenue Coffee, Campbell and Water, just north of Grant  Now a Cartel Coffee Labs, SO espresso exclusively
***Epic Cafe, University and Fourth Ave
***Safehouse, Speedway, east of Alvernon
***Cafe Le Buzz, Catalina Highway and Tanque Verde
****Savaya, 5350 E Broadway (and Craycroft, 'behind' Olive Garden) SO espresso.

Crave,  last time I was in, was a two star experience. The kit was there, the beans are decent, but something is lacking. I'm betting it was the new-ish baristi. Haven't been back.

Luce has a new shop opening soon, rumoured to be at the Trader Joe's Plaza at the corner of Campbell and Limberlost.
Downtown is about to take a shot at what seems to be real espresso, too. Since Common Grounds has abandoned all pretense of espresso quality, I'm looking forward to having a decent cuppa available.  'Sparkroot' (opening soon-ish?) is going to be serving Blue Bottle Coffees. MMmmm.... Hayes Valley...

Remember, if these are rated, it means that I have personal experience (and possibly just one, so as many grains of salt as you think you need with this) with the shop.  No rating means that these are from people that I trust to know the great from the mediocre, and they trust these shops.  I'd love to get anyone else's take on these.

**** Four stars is quality that stand out.  Excellent, third0wave coffee,  These folks are in it to make great coffee, all else is secondary.
***Three is great coffee, not doubt about it.  Dependable, and reliably good.  Just lacking that certain je nais se quoi.
**Two stars is fairly decent coffee, where they have the beans and the kit, but haven't really gotten the nous to put it all together to be great.  Still good, still dependable, nothing to write home about.
*One stars are chains like Starbucks and Java City, Coffee Exchange or Cafe Diva with their superautos, or indies with little or no clue; Espresso Art, Chocolate Iguana, Raging Sage.  Nothing wrong with these in a pinch, they just don't really make the cut, and range from horrible to mediocre.  To numerous to mention.

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Sun Aug 7, 2011, 8:48pm

***UPDATE!***

Caffe Luce has their second shop open at the Trader Joe's Location north of the River on the West side of Campbell Ave.

Sparkroot is open downtown, on 5th Ave and Congress, NW corner of the st, NE corner of the MLK building (for you locals, that's the building that back up against the Ronstadt Transient Center... er... 'Transit' Center.
Sparkroot is rocking a lil two group La Marzocco Linea,  a Robur, and Blue Bottle coffees. Hayes Valley for espresso! Joseph from Blue Bottle was in for a week of training, and the first cuppa I got so reminded me of standing on the street outside the Linden location! I didn't get to try the food, but the beer and wine menu looked intriguing, and they were cutting up a giant wheel of Fontina. Looks excellent.

Psyd
Psyd

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012, 8:35pm

Updating yet AGAIN: New content is in Italics. 1/16/12

In the Tucson area:
****Caffe Luce, Park Ave north of University Blvd
****Caffe Luce II, Trader Joe lot, Campbell Ave and Limberlost, just south of the Rillito River, at the bridge
****Cartel Coffee Labs, Campbell and Water, just north of Grant , SO espresso exclusively
****Savaya, 5350 E Broadway (and Craycroft, 'behind' Olive Garden) SO espresso.
****FRESH, River Road and Calle Santo*. LM Strada and Cartel beans
****Sparkroot, 5th St and Congress, LM Linea and Blue Bottle Hayes Valley beans, great vegetarian food and beer!
***Epic Cafe, University and Fourth Ave
***Safehouse, Speedway, east of Alvernon
***Cafe Le Buzz, Catalina Highway and Tanque Verde
**Crave, 4530 E Broadway Blvd, S side of the street, between Swan and Country Club.

*Fresh is just in front of the Pima Heart building, as you drive east on River Road, it is just as the right hand bend at the top of the hill starts to jog back to the left. It's between El Corral and the light at Hacienda Del Sol, on the South side of the street. These guys are knowledgeable, and enthusiastic. Very proud of their product and their kit. Great nosh, too, They have a personal relationship with their produce provider that shows in the taste. Coffee 'snobs' are not only welcome, but made to feel right at home.

Crave,  last time I was in, was a two star experience. The kit was there, the beans are decent, but something is lacking. I'm betting it was the new-ish baristi. Haven't been back.

Remember, if these are rated, it means that I have personal experience (and possibly just one, so as many grains of salt as you think you need with this) with the shop.  No rating means that these are from people that I trust to know the great from the mediocre, and they trust these shops.  I'd love to get anyone else's take on these.

**** Four stars is quality that stand out.  Excellent, third0wave coffee,  These folks are in it to make great coffee, all else is secondary.
***Three is great coffee, not doubt about it.  Dependable, and reliably good.  Just lacking that certain je nais se quoi.
**Two stars is fairly decent coffee, where they have the beans and the kit, but haven't really gotten the nous to put it all together to be great.  Still good, still dependable, nothing to write home about.
*One stars are chains like Starbucks and Java City, Coffee Exchange or Cafe Diva with their superautos, or indies with little or no clue; Espresso Art, Chocolate Iguana, Raging Sage.  Nothing wrong with these in a pinch, they just don't really make the cut, and range from horrible to mediocre.  To numerous to mention.

philopsych

Espresso: Krups Mini (steam)
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Drip: Melitta cone
Roaster: n/a
Posted Sat Feb 25, 2012, 2:30pm

Psyd, it's very good of you to provide these updates! I'm looking for Phoenix coffee recommendations and it looks like most of the relevant threads are several years old. Do you have or can you point me toward good recommendations for Phoenix? I'll be there next weekend.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 8 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Notable...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286327123642)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+