Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Notable Espresso/Coffee Houses in Phoenix/Tucson areas
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Notable...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jd2020
jd2020
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3, Moka Pot
Grinder: Vario, Virtuoso, Kitchenaid...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso MT500, Melita cone
Posted Mon Dec 7, 2009, 4:04pm
Subject: Re: Notable Espresso/Coffee Houses in Phoenix/Tucson areas

I could have used the update this morning! :)

Nice woman at Harlow Gardens said Elixer were a victim of the economy. Closed two months ago and sold the Studebaker to somone in Austin.  

Had a good tasting machiato at Le Buzz. Milk was nicely textured but not really microfoam--it sat mostly on top, but not unpleasing.  Was surpised by the "new" location and full kitchen. The Astoria is a 3 group I believe and there are two Mazzers, a Super Jolly and perhaps a mini. Oddly though we were there almost 2 hours I don't think I heard the grinder once. The pastries & baked goods are very good though--looks like the same pastry chef as 10 yrs ago.  The drip coffee is good, but maybe a bit too darkly roasted for some.  The beans in the griders looked pretty oily for espresso. Still I have a soft spot or Le Buzz and it's a good place to
kick back.  

Safehouse was a bit to "alternative" for my taste, but I had a fair espresso with thin crema. The coffee was good I thought.  I didn't not the equipment.   

Hopefully tomorrow I'll hit some shops down closer to the University. First on my list was VanGo! Oh for the love of Clover!  Fortunately there's a Clover back in Alexandria VA at Grape+Bean.    
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Psyd
Psyd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Tue Dec 8, 2009, 12:47pm

jd2020 Said:

I could have used the update this morning! :)

...Elixer... ...Closed two months ago and sold the Studebaker to someone in Austin.  

...Le Buzz... ...Milk was nicely textured but not really microfoam...  ...The Astoria is a 3 group... ...and there are two Mazzers... ...I don't think I heard the grinder once.

Safehouse...  ...had a fair espresso with thin crema... ...I didn't note the equipment.   

Hopefully tomorrow I'll hit some shops down closer to the University. First on my list was VanGo!   

Posted December 7, 2009 link

Ehm, hopefully this is in time.  VanGo (as noted in my update) has closed, and the Clover, the SWRBC, and the Intelli beans have all moved down the street to Avenue.  You won't be disappointed.  This, and Luce near the Main Gate of the UofA are the places where you'll get the attention to detail that you're expecting.

LeBuzz and Safehouse lose a star for mostly the reasons that you cited, but I don't score the customers or atmosphere.  VanGo was a four star place even as it was surrounded by bike cops and was outdoors in a parking lot, and Blue Bottle's Linden shop in San Francisco looked like a back-alley soup line.  Still four stars

I was almost sure that LeBuzz had a two group.  I remembered that I could kick their butts on the exact same kit with the exact same beans.  Last time I was there, I got a pound of their espresso blend, and not only am I using the same machine (Astoria) but the same Majors and even the same cups!  Talk about your weird co-incidences!
Safehouse has a three group spring lever machine pictured below. I can't identify the grinder, though.

Psyd: Safehosue lever.jpg

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
 View Profile Link to this post
Woody
Woody

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi I
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Hoover
Drip: yuck
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Dec 8, 2009, 3:28pm

Regarding Phoenix-  I just got back yesterday and made 2 trips to Cartel.  Very good espresso, roasted in house, you can walk right up to the roaster while they are roasting and chat.  Brought home some of their espresso blend- single origin!  I asked if they blended their espresso blend pre or post roast, and she informed me of the single origin.  Pulling shots on a Synesso.  

The other place not mentioned a lot is Lux Coffeebar. Both of these deserve a big thumbs up.  Lux near downtown Phoenix, Cartel right near ASU campus in Tempe.

Jon

*edit* The other thing I learned about their roast-  He said they never take anything into 2nd crack
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Tue Dec 8, 2009, 4:35pm

Woody Said:

The other place not mentioned a lot is Lux Coffeebar. Both of these deserve a big thumbs up.  Lux near downtown Phoenix, Cartel right near ASU campus in Tempe.

Posted December 8, 2009 link

Uhm, other place?  Not mentioned a lot?  I dunno about Lux, but I talk about Cartel a bunch!  ; >

Anyhoo, you'll be glad to hear that Cartel just opened up another location downtown, 1st St. and Washington.  Three group Synesso, Clover, Compak K10 WBC grinder, same great coffees.

Woody
Woody

Posted Wed Dec 9, 2009, 9:32am

Oh I meant there wasn't much in detail about Lux in this thread.  My daughter is in Chandler so Lux is quite a hike.  I mentioned this at Lux and they recommended Cartel.  Anyway the folks at Lux and Cartel are really friendly, and don't mind conversation.  Lux roasts in house also.

Jon
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Wed Dec 9, 2009, 11:43am

Woody Said:

Oh I meant there wasn't much in detail about Lux in this thread.   Anyway the folks at Lux and Cartel are really friendly, and don't mind conversation.

Posted December 9, 2009 link

OK, I knew that, but I was wondering what the "other" one that was lacking was!  ; >

Yeah, I've noticed that there is a lot of camaraderie in AZ coffee, at least amongst the serious contenders.  There is this weird thing where the baristi from one coffee house will tend to hang out at another.  I'm guessing so that they can get someone else to pull shots for them, or for a change of coffee, or something, but it's usually really friendly and sometimes reciprocal.

Woody
Woody

Posted Wed Dec 9, 2009, 2:31pm

Ah...I see

Woody said:

Should be:

Just brewed some of the espresso I brought back from Cartel.  Fantastic.  Is there such a thing as too smooth?

Jon
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Wed Dec 9, 2009, 6:46pm

Woody Said:

Woody said:
Should be:

Yep.  That's ezzackly where you lost me!

Woody Said:

Is there such a thing as too smooth?

Nope...  ; >

azbarista

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaScala Butterfly
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Cartel, Batdorf & Bronson
Posted Sun Mar 14, 2010, 5:08pm

Chris-

I figured I'd update here and give you some hope for Seattle, once again...
...I'm offically back on the payroll and plan on hanging around for the time being until, at least, I finish up my degrees.

After a revelation or two, I'm back to taking a paycheck to pay the obligatories while I have fun at what I'm doing.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Mon Mar 15, 2010, 12:06pm

azbarista Said:

Chris-

I figured I'd update here and give you some hope for Seattle, once again.

Posted March 14, 2010 link

*sigh*  So many places I have to check out in Phoenix now!  I can still remember when there weren't ANY places worth checking out!  ; >

SO, if I end up in the neighborhood...  Lemme know if you're headed down this way, first cuppas on me!

showing page 7 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Notable...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.344424009323)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+