Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
San Diego Espresso
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > San Diego...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2008, 3:48pm
Subject: Re: San Diego Espresso

benvh Said:

I've been in San Diego for almost three years now and I'm glad I'm not the only one dissatisfied with the state of coffee in this city. I've been trying to figure out why finding good coffee/espresso is so difficult here. Is it the weather? Do you think it's because everyone likes the 32oz bladder buster sugar waters that Starbucks provides? They always seem to be busy. I've always been keen on the idea of opening my own shop and it seems like San Diego is ripe with with possibility - I'm just not sure if that's what people want here.

Posted February 5, 2008 link

We were in San Diego last month and had wonderful espresso at Bird Rock and Elixir. We didn't have time to make it to Calabria. If you look at the rest of the country, outside Seattle, I think San Diego is more than holding its own per capita.
 View Profile Link to this post
SDA
SDA
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2008, 10:34pm

I just bought a few demitasse for Perks, so we are properly prepared to serve espresso now.

Come visit!

And more folks serving espresso properly is always welcome.  It seems for San Diego you just have to make it classy enough that people will accept that, yes, coffee beverages are better in the smaller variety.

Keep it classy, San Diego.
joesonthenose
joesonthenose
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Elektra Moderne 2 Group
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Curtis Lever x ?
Drip: Bunn
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008, 1:15am

I'm glad you enjoyed some good cups here in San Diego. We do have a variety of roasters in town who specialize in different styles of coffee- thanks for trying a few out. Many think that Cafe Moto is the only roaster in town- many small shops and restaurants use them- they do have a nice product, though there are definitely higher quality alternatives.

Once again, I suggest everyone try Bird Rock Coffee Roasters in La Jolla. Their baristas are very well trained- rosettas a' plenty- even in their chai lattes- made through the espresso machine.

Re: the ever growing discussion of demitasse cups- while I always carry them on my Joes on the Nose organic coffee/espresso mobile- a "proper" espresso is a well pulled one, not one in the "right cup." The presentation may be nicer in a 4 oz. paper cup, but the quality of the drink lies in the espresso itself and the barista's technique. I'd much rather have a well pulled shot in a 12 oz cup than a mediocre espresso in a 4 oz paper cup.

In any case, if one is really that concerned about the vessel one drinks a beverage out of, bring your own! I know a true espresso enthusiast who always carries his own steel demitasse cup- just in case. The environmental impact of bringing one's own reusable cup (demitasse or larger to go cup) is tremendous as well- think of the volume of trash created by the retail coffee industry.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
benvh
benvh
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5, Bodum Santos,...
Drip: Beehouse drippers, Meloir...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2008, 7:21pm

joesonthenose Said:

Once again, I suggest everyone try Bird Rock Coffee Roasters in La Jolla. Their baristas are very well trained- rosettas a' plenty- even in their chai lattes- made through the espresso machine.

Posted February 6, 2008 link

Not when I went. I checked it out for the first time today and my cappuccino had burned milk and way too much of it. The foam resembled bubbles from a bubble bath. The sound of it being made hurt my ears...especially on such nice equipment. The paper cup didn't help things either.
That being said, it was a nice place and they definitely have some great bean selections. I'll definitely give it a second chance, it may have just been an off day. If it was a little more convenient for me to get there I'd go more often.
alsterling
alsterling
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2008, 9:01am

David......"Joesonthenose"

Thanks for your input. I really enjoyed cruising your website, and then through your sharing link, took a tour of Bird Rock Coffee Roasters. I'm looking forward to stopping in La Jolla soon and visiting. I wonder if you researched or had heard of the Aussie based mobile coffee trucks or the family in Upland, CA that did the same? The Upland firm, I believe, started up about 3 years ago and had their own base and commercial kitchen just North of Foothill Blvd. near Mountain.......I think. (?)

Again, thanks...Al

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TimothyH
TimothyH

Espresso: silvia (pid); Europiccola
Grinder: mazzer mini (doser)
Vac Pot: yama 3 cup; bodum press pot
Drip: capresso;
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Nov 24, 2009, 3:08pm

As suggested in this thread we just tried espresso at Bird Rock.  We are visiting family and staying in Carlsbad.  My wife and I drove down to La Jolla for the coffee.  We are glad we did!

TimothyH: 20091124Carlsbad 006.jpg
(Click for larger image)
TimothyH
TimothyH

Espresso: silvia (pid); Europiccola
Grinder: mazzer mini (doser)
Vac Pot: yama 3 cup; bodum press pot
Drip: capresso;
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Nov 24, 2009, 3:24pm

We got a chance to meet Chuck, the man behind the Bird Rock operation.  They roast beans and offer the whole range of coffee drinks with some snacks.  

I sampled their seasonal (fall) espresso blend.  Mary Jane pulled three nice ristrettos for me.  They were each slightly different but very pleasing.  If I understand it correctly it is a four bean blend with three varietals from central America and one from Indonesia.  I found a medium mouth feel with chocolate and sweetness up front and a nice amount of brighter acidity in the long aftertaste.  

My wife had a brewed de-caf and we shared a croissant sandwich.  

The cafe is open in front to the sidewalk with tables and wifi.  They are friendly and clearly committed to great coffee.  The weather is great too but I guess they can't take credit for that!  We will be back!

TimothyH: 20091124Carlsbad 007.jpg
(Click for larger image)
roastbear
roastbear
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 with...
Grinder: Macap M4 with doser
Drip: Chemex
Posted Tue Nov 24, 2009, 4:57pm

Someone mentioned a roaster that that was downtown in a previous message.
Could this have been Cafe Moto? They're located at 2619 National Ave.
They get great reviews for their beans, but I can't say I've been there.

I've been in San Diego for 12 years and have bought beans from Cafe Calabria and liked their product. I recently got into espresso at home and have been buying Intelligensia and Terroir as I like there lighter roast espresso blends.

Nice to see a thread about San Diego's coffee scene. I think San Diego was slow to overdevelop their downtown, slow to get a real culinary circle going, and even slower with great coffee. Slowly but surely, San Diego is catching up. I'd swear this city had more Star$ per square mile than anywhere I've ever been. Happy to see some of their locations have opened up. Maybe someone will see potential and open another independent shop???? There's lots of great neighborhoods that could really use a great coffee shop. San Diegans spend wildly at star$, imagine if they knew what great coffee tasted like...
cordovero
cordovero

Espresso: Delonghi Perfecta (formerly:...
Grinder: Mazzer
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: I-Roast (formerly: Bemor)
Posted Fri Jan 15, 2010, 11:57am

So far I've tried two roasters/cafes.  The first was Safari in Escondido.  There's obviously a ton of fresh roasting being done, and that's where I'll leave my comments.  

The other was Bird Rock Coffee Roasters.  It was OUTSTANDING.  Andrea made me a great dry cappa, and when I asked for the freshest espresso blend beans, they scooped me a bag directly from a roast cooling off.  I really can't wait to go back.  It was the first good cappa I've had in years at a cafe.  It's a day early to use them, but I made myself a cappa this morning from the beans, and I like the blend.  It's a rich crema blend, with nice flavors.  Roasted just to where I like them (around a Vienna).

Please note:  As of January 14th, 2010, I downloaded the latest Garmin maps to my GPS, and not only is Bird Rock Coffee Roasters nowhere to be found in the Points of Interest, but there is a Bird Rock Market Cafe in La Jolla, and I told it to take me there, and it took me to a residential house in the middle of the La Jolla suburbs, almost 30 minutes from the cafe.  Don't rely on your GPS.  Bring the address of the cafe from their website.

Cordo
BitchMidwife

Posted Thu Jan 28, 2010, 6:50pm

I'm moving to San Diego next week from Berkeley to finish a graduate degree at SDSU. Don't have a place to live yet. I will peruse these coffee shop recommendations. Any others? I need wifi a place to study, and good eats like soup or sandwiches or something. By the ocean is an added bonus - hey if I'm in SD I want the whole experience ...
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > San Diego...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279480934143)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+