Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
M Street Coffee in Sherman Oaks
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > M Street Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sun Feb 22, 2009, 4:48pm
Subject: M Street Coffee in Sherman Oaks

Whenever I hear about a promising coffee shop in L.A., I like to try it out. This goes double, if it’s anywhere near my neighborhood.

So, off I went today to M Street Coffee at 13251 Moorpark (“M St.,” get it?) in Sherman Oaks. It’s at the corner of Longridge, near Fulton.

M St. is using organic coffees from Supreme Bean in North Hollywood and currently features their excellent Volcan blend for espresso. Espressos are served in proper Italian demitasse cups. I introduced myself to Kate, a cheery barista from Portland and ordered an espresso straight up, which is the only way to judge a shop’s espresso quality.

First a few words about M St.’s setup. The shop is very attractive and inviting, with comfortable furniture and photography for sale. But it is clearly trying to do more with less in the equipment department. The bar work area is actually an immobilized espresso cart, with a counter level that is too high for barista comfort. So, they have made a few compromises, one of which is to use a Swift grinder.

The first shot ran about 45 seconds before the Rancilio’s flowmeter stopped it. It had a nice crema, but was predictably bitter from over-extraction. When I told Kate I had a suggestion, she already knew what I was going to say, and she offered to remake it by cutting off the flow at ristretto volume. This produced a tasty and complex 25 second shot, with all bitterness gone.

So, what is M Street? I would call it a busy, happy neighborhood coffee bar, operating far above the level of “neighborhood.” I doubt they are aspiring to be a regional coffee shrine, and don’t hold it against them for not trying. But it is certainly worth a visit if you are anywhere near the area. Just be sure to ask for a “short shot.”
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Mon Aug 3, 2009, 9:43pm
Subject: Re: M Street Coffee in Sherman Oaks

I made it to M street coffee. Only 1/2 mile from HWY 101.

GaryH: Mstreet-coffee1a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Mon Aug 3, 2009, 9:43pm

Nice neighborhood coffee bar.

GaryH: Mstreet-coffee2a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Mon Aug 3, 2009, 9:44pm

Cool coffee table.

GaryH: Mstreet-coffee3a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Mon Aug 3, 2009, 9:44pm

I had this double espresso pulled with Supreme Bean Volcan blend. Unfortunately the main flavor was carbon. I've had very good Supreme Bean espressos at other coffee houses, so this experience was unexpected and disappointing.

GaryH: Mstreet-coffee4a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Strad

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 10:53am

I went to M Street a couple of weeks ago to try it. I was very disappointed. The Cap was bitter and seemed gritty. I know the Supreme Bean coffees - I've been buying them for 10 years plus. This is a very attractive neighborhood coffee spot. I wanted to like it, but the the coffee was not up to par.
Strad

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 6:16pm

I had a similar experience here. A mediocre shot pulled from good product. This place has a great location, good hardware, good beans, but desperately needs barista training.
the_coffee_nazi
the_coffee_nazi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Macap M4, Barazta Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Jul 28, 2013, 10:55pm

mediocre experience here as well. I get really bummed when a place with great potential has a great machine, good beans a great grinder, and the only thing standing between me and a great cup of coffee is poorly trained baristas....

No Coffee for you!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > M Street Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.233207941055)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+