Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Santa Barbara Coffee!!!
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Santa Barbara...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Tue Aug 4, 2009, 7:36am
Subject: Re: Santa Barbara Coffee!!!

Driving back to the bay area from Los Angeles, I stopped by Santa Barbara and got to visit the French Press coffee for the second time. Look at this nice tall ceiling.

GaryH: FrenchPress5a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Tue Aug 4, 2009, 7:37am

This time Julia pulled me a Verve Streetlevel double ristretto which was sweet, with milk chocolate flavor and very nice complexity. Good shot!

GaryH: FrenchPress6a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Tue Aug 4, 2009, 7:37am

Latte made with Streetlevel espresso and very nice sweet steamed milk. The French Press coffee house is so pretty inside. Very inviting to sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee.

GaryH: FrenchPress7a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Tue Aug 4, 2009, 7:38am

They make individual prepared press pot coffee and I had a nice cup made with Ethiopia Sidamo Adem Bonko.

GaryH: FrenchPress8a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Tue Aug 4, 2009, 7:38am

Congratulations to Todd and Julia with their new awesome coffee house. Great people, great coffee, great location, Iím sure they do real well.

GaryH: FrenchPress9a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
jimru

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Thu Aug 13, 2009, 2:21pm

Well I finally made it back to Santa Barbara and spent some time the last two days at the French Press. It's a very nice space in the middle of downtown SB. Julia had previously pulled me great shots in Santa Cruz at LuLu's....so we spent some time catching up over three VERY nice Streetlevel shots, lots of chocolate and complexity.....just like at Verve :-)

Today, I was back and had two shots of Sermon. This time Todd pulled the shots and did a great job. Todd is a new barista BUT has had some intense training from Chris Baca from Verve in SC......Chris, you did well! Todd's shots were terrific!

It's really special to walk into a coffee house and feel the passion and excitement of the staff....in this case the owners. Julia and Todd are gonna turn the coffee world upside down in SB. If you haven't tried the French Press you owe it to yourself to check it out!
jimru

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Sun Aug 16, 2009, 10:59pm

Yesterday was my last day in SB for a while so I decided to check out the Coffee Cat. It's just 2 blocks from the French Press at 1201 Anacapa St....on the corner of Anacapa and Anapamu St, in the shadow of the Court House. The first time I went to the Cat, I immediately thought it must be one of Manthri Srinath's coffee establishments because it has the same logo and name as his place in Scott Valley. What I learned was that Manthri did own it but subsequently sold it to Krista and Jason. Over the last 3 years I've been in multiple times, learned that the espresso was to be avoided and the regular coffee was OK. It's a nice space in a great part of town.

Recently, Mathri told me that they are on a campaign to upgrade their coffee program and he has been helping them with process improvements....so I ordered a double espresso. The first surprise was that they were not using the Swift grinder but instead a Mazzer! I was a little surprised when my drink was served in a cap cup...but there was a reasonable amount of crema and the shot had a nice flavor but without much complexity. This was a BIG improvement from the last espresso I had here! I had a chance to have a chat with Krista and she is indeed committed to raising the bar on their coffee program and there seems to be a new level of excitement with the staff too! This is the same kinda upgrade program that Manthri put the Scotts Valley Coffee Cat on with great results. I am very excited by Krista's progress and while it will take time to make all the changes, I think that SB might just have another legit espresso house in the next.....few months.

As I was driving back to Santa Cruz last night, I couldn't help remembering that just a few years ago I had to drive to Santa Clara to the 'Foot to get a good shot and sometimes all the way to Ritual in San Francisco...now we have Verve, The Abbey, LuLu's et al all serving excellent espresso based drinks. It feels like Santa Barbara is slowly starting to build the same kind of coffee culture.....

jimru: Coffee Cat SB.jpg
(Click for larger image)
tonesfrommars

Posted Sun Dec 27, 2009, 1:21pm

I made it to the french press while in SB for some holiday gigs at the arlington up the street.
Big thumbs up for these guys. Very pleasant and enthusiastic and the drinks I had were top notch. Brought home some Verve beans.
Be sure to visit them.
poison
poison
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Sun Jan 3, 2010, 9:09am

Headed to French Press right now! Mmmm, can't wait, never tried Verve before. :D
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
poison
poison
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Sun Jan 3, 2010, 8:20pm

OUTEffingSTANDING! Lovely space, great people, and damn if it wasn't a stellar, perfect shot! They were slinging Sermon, and it was perfectly pulled, thick, sweet, with burnt caramel and dark chocolate, and very mild acidity. Definitely not one of the trendy 'bright' shots, certainly not a dark roast, straight down the middle. VERY nicely done. My wife had an iced latte, which she liked, and they brought out freshly baked cookies from the oven, which we tried. They were, of course, outstanding, as well. I bought a bag of Streetlevel to bring home, can't wait til tomorrow morning!

The place is WELL worth a visit.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Santa Barbara...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.288625001907)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+