Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Espresso at The French Laundry
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Espresso at The...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Jeebs

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Virtuoso, Le'Lit PL53
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: KMB, CCD
Roaster: Whirly-Pop
Posted Wed Aug 20, 2008, 9:55am
Subject: Re: Espresso at The French Laundry

DonSt Said:

Another excellent photo-journal from GaryH.

Posted August 17, 2008 link

Yep.  Enjoyable as always.  

trmc Said:

my guess the purple thing might be an eggplant

It looks like a Siamese twin eggplant.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Aug 20, 2008, 10:13am

GaryH Said:

Mark Prince mentioned in a coffeegeek potcast 010 that the French Laundry makes espresso using Illy pods.

Hey Garry, a restaurant of this caliber you'd expect nothing but the absolute stellar best! There's no accounting for taste is there? It's appalling that top chefs, whatever there culinary status., from Michelin 1 - 5 stars, just don't "get it" & overlook the complexities of coffee (800 plus flavor components & a lot more than wine!).

Same goes for that post a couple of weeks or so ago about the worlds largest airliner from UAE United Arab Emirates that you posted about with pics of the airliners logo on the espresso cups/saucers.
Not ONE SPECK of crema!! {:-(

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
onocoffee
onocoffee
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea 2AV, 3AV &...
Grinder: 4 Mazzer Major Autos, Compak...
Vac Pot: That crazy Bodum eSantos
Drip: Bunn CWT Twin, Bunn Water...
Roaster: Petroncini The Crumb
Posted Tue Aug 26, 2008, 4:26pm

The fact that The French Laundry has been using pods is nothing new.  I wrote about it on my blog back in January 2005.

But what has been happening in the three years and eight months since my visit there is a greater awareness about coffee on the part of Keller's restaurant group.  I had the opportunity to chat a bit with the barista at per se (Keller's New York outpost) after my dinner there last December.  There is greater awareness and a greater focus on coffee quality happening.  It's going to take more time.

At a recent dinner at Eleven Madison Park, our waiter delivered a really surprising cappuccino to our table - with a latte art rosetta.

It won't be long before the restaurants equal and surpass the "third wave."
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
the_coffee_nazi
the_coffee_nazi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Macap M4, Barazta Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 9:23pm

A little late on this thread, but I was just in Yountville and I didn't eat at the French Laundry, but I did visit Bouchon (also owned by Keller), and they must have upgraded past the Illy pods because I bought two bags whole beans from the bakery that are roasted for Keller by Equator Coffee and Teas of San Francisco. The color of the bag looks very much like the bag from Intellgentsia. There is a roast date on the bag. I haven't tried either type I bought (one is called French Laundry blend, the other is called TK Espresso- I assume the initials of Thomas Keller). So maybe things have changed as predicted?

No Coffee for you!
 View Profile Link to this post
kianabedini

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Hario
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 3:27pm

Interesting - the disparity between quality of food/experience and quality of coffee served at fine restaurants time and again. Oliver Strand wrote a nice think piece on how Noma now uses pourovers for coffee service, versus places like this that use pods.

However, from the perspective of a longtime restaurant consultant, rather than a specialty coffee professional, I would say that I prefer restaurants use pods versus investing in better machines, then using them improperly.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Espresso at The...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.234452962875)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+