Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
4 Barrel Opening in San Francisco
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > 4 Barrel Opening...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 15 last page next page
Author Messages
desmoquattro
desmoquattro
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Innova
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2008, 8:58pm
Subject: 4 Barrel Opening in San Francisco

Just went by the temporary kiosk for 4 barrel coffee in San Francisco's Mission District. They're going to be a full roastery and espresso house, and I've heard nothing but rave reviews from people who've tried coffee from the kiosk. They're still building out the space, which will be on the east side of Valencia between 14th and 15th St, but for now they're selling shots and drip coffee out of the back door on Caledonia alley. I'm really looking forward to sourcing beans and getting weekend coffee from here :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TagTeamJesus

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LM GS/3 AV; PID Silvia
Grinder: Kony E; Macap MC4
Drip: v60
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2008, 9:07pm
Subject: Re: 4 Barrel Opening in San Francisco

I had no idea, and that's about a block from my apartment.  How the hell did I end up living right between all these great roasteries?  Half way between Blue Bottle and Ritual.  And now 4 barrel right around the corner from me.

thanks for the post.  I'll go check it out asap and let you know what I think.

If you've never tried Blue Bottle's Yemen San'ani, go pick some up!  Currently my favorite bean.
 View Profile Link to this post
desmoquattro
desmoquattro

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2008, 9:44pm

TagTeamJesus Said:

I had no idea, and that's about a block from my apartment.  How the hell did I end up living right between all these great roasteries?  Half way between Blue Bottle and Ritual.  And now 4 barrel right around the corner from me.

thanks for the post.  I'll go check it out asap and let you know what I think.

If you've never tried Blue Bottle's Yemen San'ani, go pick some up!  Currently my favorite bean.

Posted April 16, 2008 link

Thanks for the heads-up on those beans. I'm about 1.5 blocks away too. Between Mission Beach, Blue Bottle, MotoJava Cafe, and my Rancilio I think caffeine is going to be a big part of my daily routine :)
TagTeamJesus

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2008, 11:23pm

hahaha....yeah, it looks like we are in the same neighborhood.  Alan, the pastry chef at Mission Beach, is a god of dessert, and one of the most generous human beings out there.  I've had him over before and made him a shot of home-brew espresso.  That was before PIDing Silvia.  I feel sorry for him.  =-)  Kacie, their barista, is super nice, too.  He gave me a few espresso lessons when I was first starting out.  Next, I will be taking a lesson with a Blue Bottle guy.

cheers!
TagTeamJesus

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2008, 4:28pm

I just found the kiosk.  Right by Mission St. down a very narrow alley, it just seems so unexpected to stumble upon a nice copper kiosk with bad a$$ coffee gear situated all over.  Well, I guess that's half the charm.  Just wouldn't go to the kiosk end too late at night.  I saw through the back end of the kiosk area into the main store front, which is under construction.  They have a big space!  It looks like it will be at least as big as Ritual.

As of this post they are not yet roasting their own stuff.  The barista, Chris, told me they will be roasting in about a month.  Can't wait!  This is right in my back yard.  For now, they are brewing Stumptown.  They have a La Marzocco Mistral and I remember seeing some giant Mazzer grinder.  I offered to trade him my Silvia for the Mistral but couldn't quite swing the deal.
desmoquattro
desmoquattro

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2008, 4:30pm

TagTeamJesus Said:

offered to trade him my Silvia for the Mistral but couldn't quite swing the deal.

Posted April 17, 2008 link

Yeah, I tried that too :)
TagTeamJesus

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2008, 5:31pm

awesome.  =-)
TagTeamJesus

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2008, 2:53pm

Just got back from enjoying a shot at their kiosk.  They were brewing Stumptown Hair Bender blend:

sweetest shot I've ever had in my life.  Yet another life-altering shot that makes me seriously question the mouth-feel of shots I get on PID Silvia.  The shot I just had at 4 Barrel was just amazing, pulled by the owner.....who was very cool.  

He told me that 4 Barrel will be open and roasting in three weeks.  They have some kind of bean contract with Stumptown, giving them access to the same beans to then roast themselves.  So, they will be able to roast the equivalent of Hair Bender and other blends.  I really hope they do single origins too because mmmmmm.

The Mazzer they have is definitely a Robur.  And I didn't realize the first time I went, but the kiosk is located down a DEAD-END alley.  Definitely don't go there late at night.  But it makes getting a shot of espresso extra thrilling: will I make it out alive?  hahaha.

This place looks nothing short of awesome so far.
desmoquattro
desmoquattro

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2008, 4:02pm

TagTeamJesus Said:

Just got back from enjoying a shot at their kiosk.  They were brewing Stumptown Hair Bender blend:

sweetest shot I've ever had in my life.  Yet another life-altering shot that makes me seriously question the mouth-feel of shots I get on PID Silvia.  The shot I just had at 4 Barrel was just amazing, pulled by the owner.....who was very cool.  

He told me that 4 Barrel will be open and roasting in three weeks.  They have some kind of bean contract with Stumptown, giving them access to the same beans to then roast themselves.  So, they will be able to roast the equivalent of Hair Bender and other blends.  I really hope they do single origins too because mmmmmm.

The Mazzer they have is definitely a Robur.  And I didn't realize the first time I went, but the kiosk is located down a DEAD-END alley.  Definitely don't go there late at night.  But it makes getting a shot of espresso extra thrilling: will I make it out alive?  hahaha.

This place looks nothing short of awesome so far.

Posted April 18, 2008 link

Had the same experience this morning :) No sugar, and the cappucino was like dessret!
leyland
leyland
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ExpoBar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: French Press?
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2008, 4:16pm

So the cart is back open? Health Department is not going to shut it down again? Cause I drove 2hrs to check it out and it was closed. Days? Hours?
showing page 1 of 15 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > 4 Barrel Opening...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294278860092)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+