Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
San Diego Espresso
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > San Diego...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Illini

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2007, 1:53am
Subject: San Diego Espresso

I've been slowly learning the world of coffee (and especially quality espresso) slowly over the past few years.  After three years of living in San Diego and trying many of the 300+ coffee shops, I've sadly realized that only a VERY small handful of places have well-trained baristas.  Whenever San Diego espresso is discussed, Caffe Calabria is always mentioned (with good reason).  But there are a couple of other shops that go unnoticed, and should be tried by anyone looking for an alternative in a city that is flooded with bad coffee!  Here is my list for good espresso, quality microfoam, latte art, etc.  It's unbelievable that there are only 3+ quality locations in a city this size!  Any input that others have would be excellent.

• Caffe Calabria -  30th St., North Park

• Elixir -  427 C St.  Outstanding downtown location with consistent, quality espresso.  The barista that I met (can't remember her name) was very enthusiastic about espresso (and equally frustrated with the San Diego coffee scene).  Closes at 5pm.  

• Village Coffee - 10415 San Diego Mission Road.  Knowledgeable and skilled baristas, great service, quality coffee roasted on site.  Still relatively unknown, but definitely worth a try!

• Caffe Italia - 1704 India St. in Little Italy.  I've only tried espresso here a couple of times, and results have been inconsistent.  Both milk-based drinks I've had have been excellent (w/ perfect latte art), but straight espresso shots have been average to good at best.  With the quality of their lattes, affogato, etc, my guess is that I just happened to have espresso on off days.  Caffe Italia is not at the same level as the other three mentioned, but in a city with limited options it was definitely worth mentioning.  

AND THAT'S IT!  Hard to believe that there are hundreds that fall into the poor to mediocre range.  
Are there any that I have missed???
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
iginfect
iginfect
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: vetrano
Grinder: versalab m3
Vac Pot: yama 5 cup
Drip: melior french press
Roaster: hot top kn-8828p
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2007, 5:00am
Subject: Re: San Diego Espresso

Several years ago I attended a professional conference at the downtown Convention Center and stayed at a hotel across the street from a roaster. I had to be be at the Center just before 7 a.m. and never got to try the roaster who was closed at that hour. At the end of the day I was all caffeined out to have more at the roaster. Unfortuneately,  I neither remember the name of the hotel, roaster or street. It was a 5 minute walk away. My first a.m. coffee was at a char$. This year the conference is back in S.D. and I will be there earlier and will find and try this roaster and bring a pour over with me. Any comments on the roaster?

Marvin
 View Profile Link to this post
mike_p

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia w.PID
Grinder: Super Jolly, Bodum Antigua
Drip: Bodum Press
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2007, 10:49pm

Cafe Calabria and Elixir are the only two coffee shops that make decent espresso. Elixir actually closes at 3pm, but it's a great place to visit if you work downtown. They consistently pull good shots. The reason it's an oasis in a city of bad coffee shops is because they use Calabria coffee and are trained by Arnie, who runs Calabria.

Gelato Vera makes a decent shot as well (they also use Calabria coffee), and have delicious Gelato to compliment your shot. They are located on 3753 India St. north of Little Italy.

For drip coffee, I have been pleased with Java Jones, which has a roasting facility in Downtown (but I don't have a refined palate for drip).
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
joesonthenose
joesonthenose
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Elektra Moderne 2 Group
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Curtis Lever x ?
Drip: Bunn
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2008, 10:26am

There are other choices in town.

Bird Rock Coffee Roasters, in La Jolla. And yes, they use a La Marzocco.
http://www.birdrockcoffeeroasters.com

My mobile shop- Joes on the Nose
http://www.joesonthenose.com

I use Bird Rock's espresso and coffee. We both believe in artisan coffee. Bird Rock's retail and roaster location is on La Jolla Blvd, a block from the ocean, and the Joes on the Nose orange organic coffee mobile runs all over San Diego.

I agree that Calabria trains well and has a great location. I suggest trying another place to see what you think.

Thanks.

David
Joes on the Nose
http://www.joesonthenose.com
SDA
SDA

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2008, 4:48pm

I work at a new cafe on the UCSD campus in La Jolla called Perks, located in the Price Center bookstore.  We're still working out the kinks, but we're using beans from Barefoot Coffee Roasters in Santa Clara.  We're without demitasse, unfortunately, but will be getting some soon.

Come visit us and demand good espresso and we will do our best.
mike_p

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia w.PID
Grinder: Super Jolly, Bodum Antigua
Drip: Bodum Press
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2008, 5:16pm

SDA Said:

I work at a new cafe on the UCSD campus in La Jolla called Perks, located in the Price Center bookstore.  We're still working out the kinks, but we're using beans from Barefoot Coffee Roasters in Santa Clara.  We're without demitasse, unfortunately, but will be getting some soon.

Come visit us and demand good espresso and we will do our best.

Posted January 8, 2008 link

Hi SDA,

Just a couple of quick questions:

-What are your hours?
-When do you expect demitasse cups?
-Do you sell whole bean bags of Barefoot?

Thanks for the heads up. I am looking forward to placing my demands.

To David,

I expect to do the same at Joes on the Nose and at Bird Rock as well.

-Michael
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
MarshallF
MarshallF

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2008, 11:02am

Thanks for the tips. There will be a lot of coffee people in your town next week for the Fancy Foods Show at the Convention Center. I'll try to make it to Elixir.
SDA
SDA

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2008, 9:02pm

The hours are M-F 7a-9p, Sa 9a-7p and Su noon to 6.

I've been expecting demitasse for months now, but it seems things change slowly here.

Yes, we can sell whole beans, just ask.

Cheers,

-K
joesonthenose
joesonthenose

Espresso: Elektra Moderne 2 Group
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Curtis Lever x ?
Drip: Bunn
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:02pm

Hi Michael,

Sorry it took so long to reply, but please come by Bird Rock Coffee Roasters or the Joes on the Nose orange coffee mobile. The Bird Rock Coffee Roasters Bar is open 6A - 6P M-F, and 6:30A - 6P Sa-Su. They offer two espressos every day- their organic espresso blend as well as a single origin espresso, which changes daily. Joes on the Nose coffee wagon arrives at area events. Saturday and Sunday mornings it is found at farmer's markets- Saturday morning up in Scripps Ranch, Sunday mornings at the Gaslamp Farmer's Market on 3rd and J. Please check my website for more info: http://www.joesonthenose.com

Both locations sell beans by the pound. The Joes on the Nose truck sells its own organic Orange Truck blend. Buy one pound and get a free drip coffee. The Bird Rock Coffee Roasters location (on La Jolla Blvd, in Bird Rock) offers a wide range of coffees by the pound. Right now they have a Rwandan and a Sumatra that are both phenomenal- and certified organic. Demitasse cups are always available at Joes on the Nose as well as Bird Rock.

Thanks a lot! Good luck in tracking down a good cup. Bird Rock also offers public cuppings once a month.
benvh
benvh
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5, Bodum Santos,...
Drip: Beehouse drippers, Meloir...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2008, 2:32pm

I've been in San Diego for almost three years now and I'm glad I'm not the only one dissatisfied with the state of coffee in this city. I've been trying to figure out why finding good coffee/espresso is so difficult here. Is it the weather? Do you think it's because everyone likes the 32oz bladder buster sugar waters that Starbucks provides? They always seem to be busy. I've always been keen on the idea of opening my own shop and it seems like San Diego is ripe with with possibility - I'm just not sure if that's what people want here.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > San Diego...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.261677980423)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+