Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Santa Cruz Espresso Update
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Santa Cruz...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 25 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2007, 3:18pm
Subject: Re: Santa Cruz Espresso Update

The Verve Streetlevel espresso blend works very well in a cappa. They gave me these Kenya Mutitu Peaberry (Nyeri) auction lot beans, and Ethiopia Lekempti Oromia Co-op Natural coffee beans. Many thanks. I'll pull some shots with them tomorrow.

GaryH: Verve_Dec07_5a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2007, 11:47am

I used the Verve Kenya Mutitu peaberry to pull some shots at home. I varied the brew temperature from 195F to 200F. I had a hard time getting some fruit flavor out of it (beans are roasted quite dark). It did have a wondeful after-taste.

GaryH: Verve_Mitutu1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2007, 11:48am

Main flavor I got from the Ethiopia Lekempti Oromia was a very nice spicy flavor. I'm guessing these beans are a part of the Streetlevel blend that is used to pull ristrettos at Verve.

GaryH: Verve_Lekempti1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
mcuff
mcuff

Espresso: Andrea Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Santos
Drip: Aeropress, Plunger, Clever
Roaster: Yea, still getting there...
Posted Mon Dec 10, 2007, 5:23pm

Hello Gary,
Once again, thanks for another great photo essay.
Sounds like you tried quite a few shots at Verve.
I was wondering if you had an opinion on where Verve fits among the Bay Area's top shops.
Product in the cup, and consistency being the two key elements, how are they stacking up to Barefoot, Bellano, Emocha, Lulu's, etc?

Also sounds like you picked up several Single Origin beans. Did the roast level tend toward the medium or dark side. If they were dark roasted, any oil?

Thanks,
and good luck to Verve. I look forward to a visit.

-Michael
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2007, 2:18am

mcuff Said:

I was wondering if you had an opinion on where Verve fits among the Bay Area's top shops. Product in the cup, and consistency being the two key elements, how are they stacking up to Barefoot, Bellano, Emocha, Lulu's, etc?

Also sounds like you picked up several Single Origin beans. Did the roast level tend toward the medium or dark side. If they were dark roasted, any oil?

Posted December 10, 2007 link

I've only been to Verve once so I don't know about consistency. I really like chocolate flavor and the three Streetlevel espresso shots were very good. The after-taste lasted 12 hours! Verve is definately worth a visit.

Last week after I visited Verve I drove the scenic route past the Santa Cruz lighthouse and stopped by Lulus where I had this Lighthouse espresso which was very bright. Great shot. Very different flavor profile from the Verve shot so can't really compare. All depends upon what you like in an espresso.

GaryH: Lulus_Lighthouse1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2007, 2:25am

The two different SO beans I got at Verve were roasted dark but there was no oil on the beans.

Last week I had an awesome Rwanda SO shot at Barefoot. Again a very different flavor profile but that is what makes tasting different espressos at various coffee houses so interesting. I bought a pound of Rwanda beans and pulled nice sweet and fruity SO shots with it at home.

GaryH: Barefoot_Rwanda1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2007, 2:30am

I also bought these El Salvador La Montana COE #1 beans at Barefoot (I keep two shots worth in small bags in the freezer). Last week I pulled a shot with it and it was so amazingly tasty I didn't want to swallow the ristretto. I wanted the taste to last forever.

GaryH: Barefoot_LaMontana1a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2007, 2:33am

Last Sunday I got these Guatemala COE beans at Barefoot. Very nice tangy fruity shots. It's great to pull shots with all the many different beans available nowadays.

GaryH: Barefoot_Guatemala1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
mobleyfan
mobleyfan

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2007, 9:21am

I made it to Verve last weekend and this place is the genuine article. The shot I had was excellent with a really rich mouthfeel. My wife had a capp which was also delish and served with leafy latte art.  I took some Streetlevel home and in a separate incident my sister bought some for me as well so I've been pulling shots with it all week. While this is not the best espresso blend I've had, I've found that it's really easy to work with. I've been consistently getting good to excellent shots, and some closely approached the quality of what I was served there. I was also surprised to see so many new businesses in that area from 10 years ago. FYI, the Cliff Cafe across the street used to be a great breakfast joint and probably still is. In any event, I say Verve is right up there with the best espresso spots of the Bay Area.
-Sam
jimru

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2007, 9:37pm

Well I've managed to make it to Verve every day this week...the consistency is definitely there! Yesterday I had a GREAT SO Yirg...best I've ever had...today, the boys are working on a new espresso blend...very interesting...they are masters at finding each espresso's "happy spot"...

I also had a GREAT classico at LuLu's this week....it's so great to finally have quality espresso choices in SC...thanks LuLu's and Verve you guys rock!
showing page 2 of 25 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Santa Cruz...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.288410902023)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+