Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Santa Cruz Espresso Update
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Santa Cruz...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 25 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Jtrubaca
Jtrubaca
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Marzocco
Grinder: Rio
Drip: shmip...press...yes
Roaster: Probat
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2007, 5:57am
Subject: Re: Santa Cruz Espresso Update

Mobelyfan,
Thanks a lot for coming by and checking us out. I'm glad your experience was of quality. As Jim is saying we are trying out a new espresso as well which has been quite good, fuji apple and carmel bitter/sweet notes. This espresso is made to be pulled 20-30 sec. The Streetlevel is definitely our flagship espresso and its going to stay that way, but it was found to be best at 35+ sec.(I know some people are shuttering right now, haha), it's happy place!!! So if you have not tried it there, perhaps give it a shot. And Jim, best SO shot ever?? I'm flattered, thanks! And thanks for all the support people, it's very appreciated! We'll continue to grow and refine to get better=)
Peace,
Jared
Verve Coffee Roasters
 View Profile Link to this post
harrymanback
harrymanback
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2007, 9:37am

i made it up to verve last saturday on my way up to chico and was also quite impressed -- they definitely rank among the bay area's hot spots.  i agree with gary that with all the different roasters we have now, variety and not quality is the debate.  what do you like in your blend?  your single origins?  and of course, having places to stop on a long drive is nice as well.

while up in chico, i also got to check out empire café, a new shop over by campus and the railroad tracks, in an old rail car.  very nice vibe inside, and lucky (formly of temple in sacramento) was currently pulling shots of 114.  they weren't rotating through any single origins, but perhaps that will be an addition once they get established.  definitely worth a stop if you're on your way up to lassen or shasta.

also of note, lucky mentioned a few current developments in the cali coffee scene.  barefoot will be moving to san jose (or just will be opening up a new roasting / café site).  also, he mentioned that the owner of the naked lounge in chico is also the owner of the verve in santa cruz and will be serving up verve roasts shortly, and the owner (sorry, forget the name) studied roasting under john laird of pacific bay (another fantastic bay area roaster).  nice to see the coffee scene continuing to flower in cali.

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jimru

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007, 8:47pm

I had a really bad day today. My car broke down in Felton in the rain and I was stranded for 2 hrs before the tow truck arrived. But then, the tow truck driver offered me a ride to Scotts Valley and I decided to visited Coffee Cat. For those of you that don't know, Coffee Cat is one of three coffee houses owned by Manthri (LuLu Carpenters and LuLu's at the Octagon). Manthri had told me that he was going to move the Octagon process to Coffee Cat. It was time to check it out. Well, I had an outstanding Calssico, on par with those I've had at the Octagon and a very good Lighthouse. So I think we can add Coffee Cat to the ever increasing list of outstanding espresso places in the Santa Cruz area. Hats off to Manthri!
ManthriSrinath

Espresso: Various
Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007, 9:32pm

Hi Jim. Sorry to hear about your car. No fun. Glad to hear they did okay at Coffee Cat. As you noted, we've been using the Octagon as a test bed for new and old technologies that are relevant to an increasingly sophisticated espresso scene. As we are satisfied that we understand and are able to reproduce processes that lead to improved espresso, coffee and the overall experience, we are moving them into the stores. Coffee Cat is actually where we have our Roasting Works, and we service all the stores and restaurant accounts from here. This market is however, more mainstream, and we have been somewhat gingerly moving towards a more epicurean product experience. It is gratifying to hear that it is now satisfying a sophisticated palette such as yours.

On a related note, we now use ACF cups at the old Lulu's as well, and triple baskets on the Linea. I'm also going to install PID controllers on this machine in the next year. You might give it a try sometime and let me know how we do. Also, sometime in the next six months or so, we will be bringing in some sort of manual grinders to complement the Swifts in each store, and you'll see the espresso offerings increase in scope.

I'm working on a new concept called barLulu that will be a simple espresso bar. We may get one open late 2008 or early 2009. I'll keep everyone posted.

Okay, update complete. Thanks Jim. Hope you get driving again soon!

Manthri
Mizspresso
Mizspresso

Espresso: Vivaldi II, MyPressi
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario, Macap...
Drip: Bodum (press)
Roaster: Sonofresco
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2007, 9:50am

Hey Manthri

Since you're into some expansion here, why not open something on this side of the hill? Lulu's is great but I don't make it to Santa Cruz as often as I like. ;->

Also, any chance there will be another coffee workshop? The one in October on Espresso was great.

-Barbara
ManthriSrinath

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2007, 2:23pm

Hi Barbara,

To answer your second question first, I am (slowly) working on the next seminar. We have interesting prospects for future speakers. I was too ambitious in my desire to have a seminar in January, but we will perhaps be ready by February. I'll keep you posted. Glad you liked the last one.

I have contemplated a store over the hill many times over the years, but things never seem to come together at the right time and in the right order. And now you have so many great options over there! We will continue to  look at Santa Clara and Monterey counties for potential sites and perhaps someday something will come to fruition. In the meantime, we are going to focus on improving our local stores and to building a culture of product and service excellence. I hope we will see you over here from time to time and that you have a great experience with us when you do stop in.

Thanks for the kind words!

Manthri
Mizspresso
Mizspresso

Espresso: Vivaldi II, MyPressi
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario, Macap...
Drip: Bodum (press)
Roaster: Sonofresco
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2007, 5:12pm

I do understand, but I must say I am somewhat envious of the Santa Cruz scene. Seems like you have more QUALITY coffee per capita than us South Bay-ers. Barefoot makes a fine cup but Lulu's has 'em beat big time on atmosphere.  And now I hear a rumor they're moving to San Jose. Sigh.

You know, the Sunnyvale Town Center is being demolished to make way for an entirely new place along the lines of Santana Row.

Just sayin...  ;->
jimru

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2007, 6:09pm

...still without my car, but in a rental and found myself on 41st Ave....gotta go to Verve! Today, Sean pulled me an excellent Streetlevel and then Jared took over and  pulled an absolutely wonderful decaf espresso....loads of chocolate and caramal and an unbelievable mouthfeel, I still think he added cream:-)...I couldn't believe it was decaf!

Tomorrow, I'm going downtown, guess I better check out LuLu Carpenters and the upgrade there...I'll let you know Manthri...
ManthriSrinath

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2007, 8:16am

Hello everyone! Happy Holidays. Just a quick note to let you know that we have a Yemen Mocha Ismaili brewing as an SO espresso at the Octagon. Super bright, leather, tobacco notes. Worth a try. It was really lovely this morning. Thanks!

Manthri
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2008, 1:11pm

ManthriSrinath Said:

Hello everyone! Happy Holidays. Just a quick note to let you know that we have a Yemen Mocha Ismaili brewing as an SO espresso at the Octagon. Super bright, leather, tobacco notes. Worth a try. It was really lovely this morning. Thanks!

Manthri

Posted December 27, 2007 link

Fortunately they were still pulling the Yemen Mocha Ismali this Wednesday morning and it was indeed an amazing nice shot with a very nice after taste. Very glad I got to taste it.

GaryH: Lulus_Jan08_1a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 3 of 25 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Santa Cruz...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.262852907181)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+