Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Chico, California
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Chico,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
mgalli

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Euro 2000 Jr.
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: French Press
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2007, 9:18am
Subject: Chico, California

My favorite café in Chico, California is Empire Café.  They are hands down the best around.  All their coffee comes from Barefoot Coffee Roasters in Santa Clara, Ca.  The espresso is Element 114 (a Barefoot Blend).

Empire is a new café and has only been in Chico for two months.  Empire Café truly believes in producing quality coffee.  They brew their coffee using a press pot (French Press).  I don’t know of any other café that does this.  It’s very impressive that they take the time to use a press pot.  It shows how serious they are about the coffee they serve.  The current baristas know how to pull shots.  I hope that continues when they hire other employees as their business grows.  

I purchase roasted coffee beans from them on a regular basis.  The beans are freshly roasted.  Barefoot labels their beans with a roasted date.

I am posting this information because I always struggle to find a café that I can palate when I leave the area.  Coffee Geek has educated me on what coffee and espresso should truly taste like.  I have used this forum to locate other cafés when traveling out of the area.  I hope this posting will help fellow CG members.

Empire Café is located next to the Chico Art Center at the train stain.  The address is 434 Orange Street, Chico.  The café is actually located inside an old train car parked in front of the train station.

I feel very fortunate to have this new café in my town.  Empire Café is currently providing Chico with world class coffee.  This is amazing for the smaller Chico community located in the northern Sacramento Valley surrounded by agricultural lands.
 View Profile Link to this post
harrymanback
harrymanback
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2007, 7:38pm
Subject: Re: Chico, California

hey great!  my girlfriend has family in chico, and i've long hoped for a good café to sprout up somewheres 'round theres.  i'll definitely look them up soon!

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
benza
benza

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:14pm

thats Lucky's shop! I've been dyin to go there, but I dont have a car...bummer. But apparently they're awesome. and Lucky's ok to. BURN

The Bob Ross of Coffee
Insight  Coffee Roasters
Sacramento, CA
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
harrymanback
harrymanback

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2007, 11:39pm

the lucky?!  as in temple barista and usbc aught-seven semi-finalist?  wow, i'm totally out of the sacramento loop down here -- very cool.

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
Jtrubaca
Jtrubaca
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Marzocco
Grinder: Rio
Drip: shmip...press...yes
Roaster: Probat
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2007, 1:40am

Yes Lucky,
He's doing his own thing now in a pretty pimp location. I definitely went to his place a lot for good french pressed coffee before I moved to help open Verve Coffee. Element 114 isn't so bad either. Mad props to him for puttin in continuous million hour weeks in a train car. I think he makes great coffee and since he's almost always there, it's guaranteed good. To be honest Naked Lounge on 2nd st is pretty great too. Has an atmosphere that's pretty nice as well, good art, latte art, couches and bohemian feel. People definitely take pride in the coffee they make there. Also worth checking out...not that I have any pride in a place I used to work=) Still. I would say you could get good coffee in two places in Chico.
harrymanback
harrymanback

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2007, 1:20pm

Jtrubaca Said:

Yes Lucky, he's doing his own thing now in a pretty pimp location....To be honest Naked Lounge on 2nd st is pretty great too.

Posted November 25, 2007 link

hey, good for lucky!  i'm very excited to check it out now.  chico's actually a neat town.  naked (in sacramento) was actually the first good coffee i'd ever had (with repeatable results).  it isn't what i'd call amazing or life-changing, but still, it was the first spot where i could have a cappuccino and not be left craving a syrup or tons of milk.  once temple opened up...that was my wow moment.

harry.

Jtrubaca
Jtrubaca

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2007, 4:09pm

The Naked in Sac is good, but it does not have the same owner as the Chico Ca. location. I definitely feel you though=)
mgalli

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Euro 2000 Jr.
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: French Press
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2007, 10:08pm

The Naked Lounge is currently going through some major changes.  I have been told they are going to change their name to something like "Speed Kitty."  I am not sure if this name is finalized.  Since I am not a fan of Methamphetamines, I do not particularly care for this name.  Many of their customers probably will not mine.  

They are changing their name because they are no longer going to be serving "Naked Coffee."  They are planning on roasting their own coffee beans.  I am quite excited about this change.  The baristas at the Lounge take pride in making good espresso.  They pull shots using proper techniques. The Lounge and Empire are the only two cafes in Chico that I know which use proper techniques.  Once they get a different supply of coffee beans, it will be a huge improvement over the current coffee.  I am looking forward to the change.
Jtrubaca
Jtrubaca

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2007, 1:24pm

I definitely know that Naked Lounges name will not be Speed Kitty, or anything ridiculous like that.
benza
benza

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2007, 1:00am

mgalli Said:

The Lounge and Empire are the only two cafes in Chico that I know which use proper techniques. .

Posted November 26, 2007 link

what is(are) this(these) technique(s) you're talking about?

The Bob Ross of Coffee
Insight  Coffee Roasters
Sacramento, CA
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Chico,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.265379190445)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+