Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Coming through Portland, OR/Washington State
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Coming through...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
CafeNoirNOLA

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Faema Smart A2
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Aeropot
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2007, 3:02pm
Subject: Coming through Portland, OR/Washington State

Hey Folks -

We'll be coming through Portland, OR on Tuesday, Nov. 6th and back through on Monday, Nov 12-13th (heading up to the tri-cities in Washington inbetween) and would love any recommendations and/or get a chance to witness any pros in action. Of course I've been doing my homework and have a list of the obvious must visit places, but would love any tips as far as somewhere I might not have found online or particular times to catch the best baristas.... We're in the process of opening a coffeeshop in New Orleans, LA and while we love coffee, are very much at the start of our learning curve and therefore excited it just so happens we'll be going through one of the top coffee towns in the country soon! And if anyone knows of any decent coffee places between or around the tri-cities area in Washington, I'd love suggestions for those...

Thanks!

Andrea
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Woody
Woody

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi I
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Hoover
Drip: yuck
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Oct 23, 2007, 12:39pm
Subject: Re: Coming through Portland, OR/Washington State

Hi Andrea-

If you haven't already, take a look at

www.espressomap.com

This will give you a layout of the best places to go.  For Portland, Albina Press would be my first recommendation.  Regional Champion Billy Wilson spends time behind the counter.  I had an outstanding mocha Saturday at Coffeehouse Northwest, and had a great conversation with the barista   You might visit the websites of these places- many of them use Stumptown, and if you want a different variety of roasters, you could plan accordingly.  Ristretto roasters does a great job with their own roasted blend.  Make sure you mention you are from out of town and specifically looked up these places- they appreciate that.  For Stumptown's own coffeehouses, I like the ones on Division or Belmont, but the one at the Ace Hotel downtown may be a good bet.  I haven't been there yet.  If you are traveling up the Columbia River Gorge on I-84, stop at Dog River Coffee in Hood River, 60 miles east of Portland.  They use Stumptown.  As far as the Tri-Cities, I travel thru there frequently, and am unaware of any top notch places.

Jon
 View Profile Link to this post
CafeNoirNOLA

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2007, 1:31pm

Cool, thanks. Yes - I've discovered the espresso map and it's great. Albina and Stumptown (hope to attend one of the public cuppings) are definitely on the list and we'll be sure to let them know we're visiting from out of town and came by specifically. Thanks for the info on Dog River Coffee... too bad there's nowhere decent in the tri-cities area, but if my hand burr grinder arrives in time we'll make do with a variety of fresh roasted beans from portland and the aeropress.
Rawman
Rawman

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2007, 7:33am

CafeNoirNOLA Said:

We're in the process of opening a coffeeshop in New Orleans, LA ...

Posted October 22, 2007 link

What part of the New Orleans are you planning on opening in?

Edit.. never mind I read your profile.  

Jon

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
mitchellb

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2007, 1:50pm

portland coffee house on sw broadway or burnside is a good one to check out too. not touted heavily like stumptown (which i was going to recommend but you said you're checking it out already), but these people have pride and take care to make a great cup of coffee.

portland, you will find, is like waking up on christmas morning for a coffeegeek. i just walk through that city and smile.
CafeNoirNOLA

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2007, 2:13pm

Thanks, I'll add Portland coffee house to the list... and yes, it does sound like Portland will be like xmas... we're headed to Washington to visit relatives, but it's looking like the real benefit of the trip will be getting to poke around the Portland coffee scene!
mitchellb

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2007, 2:19pm

if you are looking to open a cafe these are good ones to copycat..

I walked in and was damn near amazed they take the time to grind the shot, level, tamp, flush the machine and they'll even throw out a gusher..

it sound simple, but most cafes don't take the time, patience or money required to build a good drink
CafeNoirNOLA

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2007, 2:35pm

Indeed... while I'll still got a lot of practicing to do as far as pulling shots (ok, actually I'm still waiting to start practicing... will hopefully have the machine plumbed in today and my grinder just arrived two days ago), I've been doing a ton of online research and intend to make sure we never skip steps in the process. While we've got lots to learn about coffee and espresso, we're aiming for as high a level of drink quality as we can achieve! Thankfully we've got a great tutor in our guy from the local roastery (NOLA Coffee) - tho he's in the roasting side of the business now, he's been pulling shots for years and is willing to walk us through every step of the process (and they roast some great coffee as well).

Believe me, I'll be watching the baristas very closely in Portland and will be thrilled if we hit anywhere during a downtime and catch a barista or two willing to impart a little advice ;) Just have to make sure I'm not so jacked up on espresso that I can't pay close attention!
turbo_tiger

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2007, 12:11pm

Delete this post please.
alsterling
alsterling
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2007, 8:42am

You know that the Seattle Coffee Fest is running over the weekend of November 9, 10 and 11 at the Downtown Seattle Conv. Center?

Click Here to see Coffeefest website...

I leave Nov 6 for Portland on biz, and then on to Seattle through the following week. I pre-registered and have heard that it's a very good show. You can do on-site registration.........or is part of the purpose of your trip to visit the show?

Best, Al

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Coming through...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.227211952209)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+