Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
l.a. café crawl -- surprising results
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > l.a. café crawl...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
Randii

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II, ExSilvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, Macap M-4
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Moka Pots
Roaster: Jones Coffee, Coffee Klatch
Posted Wed Sep 19, 2007, 7:00pm
Subject: Re: l.a. café crawl -- surprising results

Psyd Said:

OTOH, we, as consumers, are caught in the quandry brought about by Starbonics and the Bucksian Empire, in that we either have to instruct the barista what we want by describing the ingredients and how we'd like them prepared (and in most places, that'll automatically include spit in your order...) or ordering what we think we want and hope that it's what they think that we think it is.

Posted September 19, 2007 link

There are other options.  Instead of ordering what you "think" it is, you can *ask* what the drink consists of *before* you order it.  If you determine that the establishment doesn't make their drinks to your expectation, you can simply not order the drink, and go to an establishment that meets your expectations.  If you think you "must" instruct the barista on how to make your drink, either do it kindly, with respect, and in a way that is not condesending, or *don't* do it at all!  (That way no one gets spit in their order!)  Finally - and much more constructive - instead of "instructing" baristas, try sending a nice, informative letter to management, explaining your disappointment with the level of barista training at their establishment, and *suggest solutions* to help them train better baristas.

Standardization for drinks could be helpful.  Until that day comes, kindness, respect, and comon sense will get you what you want.  ("You'll catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar.")
 View Profile Link to this post
Psyd
Psyd

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2007, 2:15pm

Randii Said:

If you think you "must" instruct the barista on how to make your drink, either do it kindly, with respect, and in a way that is not condesending, or *don't* do it at all!  (That way no one gets spit in their order!)  

You'd think so, wouldn't you?  In a perfect world, that could be the case. Where I live, they know me, so it isn't an issue, as I travel, it varies.  Some will be completely blown away by the fact that I want coffee, not milk with coffee in it, and will turn handsprings to make something that will impress me. Others will consider me a perfect heretic for not wanting something from what they have decreed as the perfect coffee menu.  If you haven't met any barisiti like that, you should get out a bit more.
For the record, I'm always very polite to anyone in the service industry, and I tip well.  If you're in the service industry and I don't treat you very well, you probably know exactly why, and you're probably aware that you deserve it.  And, I "must" instruct the barista if the menu only offers a 12 oz cappucino as a small, and nothing smaller.  Or automaticaly assure myself of getting something I know I'm not going to like.

Randii Said:

Finally - and much more constructive - instead of "instructing" baristas, try sending a nice, informative letter to management, explaining your disappointment with the level of barista training at their establishment, and *suggest solutions* to help them train better baristas.

Also great, but when on the road it really isn't too helpful.  What I need is to be able to order a drink I want without having the staff think I'm an idiot or think that I think that they're idiots. Everyone seems to be able to agree that a 'cappuccino' is something like a drink of thirds, or an ounce of espresso in three to four ounces (or something like that) of steamed milk.  That is, right up until they get behind the bar at an espresso house.  Just at that point, about ninety percent of the baristi on the US suddenly decide that you probably want far more milk in your drink than  you're prepared to order (or, why else wouldn't you order a 'latte?), you're just not aware of it yet.  Howard Schultz has decreed it, it must be so.
OTOH, the asking is how I start, usually, and it really isn't any better.  Those in the latter groups tend not to like to be questioned at all.  I suppose that's because there is a lot of self-esteem issues for baristi that don't have a lot of training, and those that do and have been 'converted'.

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
gabelucas
gabelucas
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Lazer Wolf
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Santos Vacuum pot mini
Drip: bodum eileen french press
Roaster: 1918 Probat 15 kilo
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2007, 7:50pm
Subject: Re: 3rd Wave "Look and Feel"

MarshallF Said:

I apologize for rubbing it in Gabe. But, I think it is important to illustrate the point that the "look" of a "3rd Wave" coffee shop is only limited by the imagination and budget of the owner.

Marshall

Posted September 17, 2007 link

Oh don't apologize man! Not at all! I agree with you, but I also think as someone who has been around these parts that there is definitely AS OF LATE a specific trend in the more well known "3rd wave" shops.

in both those pictures....

clean lines
simplicity
lots of light
attention to the "machines"
slick as hell look.

it's a trend. and it's definitely getting cleaner and cleaner. I think you would agree with me here, as the new Stumptown, Intelligentsia and Victrola demonstrate. Ritual is absolutely part of that trend. They may not all be identical, but there is a lil' somethin somethin about all the newer sleeker 3rd wave shops. for sure. especially in USA.

Gabriel "bring it on Marshall, all in good fun" Boscana

Gabriel Boscana
Ritual Coffee Roasters
San Francisco, CA
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
EricZeiler

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: Popcorn Pumper
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2007, 11:56am

Living two blocks from 9th Street Espresso in the East Village (NY), I disagree with that statement.

As a former Angeleno, I am very excited to visit LA in a few weeks and check out all of the new spots that have arrived since I moved!
EricZeiler

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: Popcorn Pumper
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2007, 12:14pm

MarshallF Said:

we should be celebrating the Perry family for creating an oasis of quality in an unexpected place that outshines anything in North Beach or Greenwich Village.
Marshall

Posted September 17, 2007 link

Forgot to quote Marshall.
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2007, 12:25pm

EricZeiler Said:

Forgot to quote Marshall.

Posted October 1, 2007 link

I deeply apologize. I was thinking back to my original impressions of Coffee Klatch when I first visited 5 years ago after a disappointing tour of Village and North End coffee shops. Of course things have changed since then. I will edit my prior post!

Has anything improved in the North End of Boston?

Marshall
rocktageous

Grinder: Bunn G1
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Many
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2007, 12:40pm

My girlfriend lives in Claremont and I go to Coffee Klatch almost every time I'm out there, so I'll offer my thoughts.

I'll get the negative observations and criticisms out of way the first. I ordered a double shot on my first visit and it was served in a paper cup. That's unacceptable. I was on our first date and she didn't order anything, so I didn't want to go through the process of asking for another shot in porcelain. I would like to assume that the barista would've obliged, but I don't know how much effort it would've taken to have my request understood and fulfilled. Regardless, straight espresso should never be served in a paper cup. On all of following visits, I've ordered a double capp or double latte in a small cup. My order is always met with something like, "Our double is 16 ounces; do you want a 12 ounce with an extra shot?" It's not much of a hassle and certainly not what Harry went through, but it would be nice for the barista to understand why I want a smaller drink and respond with a simple, "Okay."

I can see both sides of the argument as to whether quality coffee in traditional sizes would go over well and I'm not really sure where I stand. I'd like to believe that customers will respond positively to quality. From my experiences, I've seen a lot of people ordering vanilla lattes and drinks with whipped cream at Coffee Klatch and I've taken people to great cafes where they've enjoyed the coffee, yet they continue to drink giant flavored drinks from Starbucks and Coffee Bean. My suggestion would be to drop the large size and offer traditional, small, and large (the current medium). Also, how about offering some of the tasty coffees in Chemex or press pots in addition to the auto-drip? I would gladly pay $3.50 for a nice cup of the Biloya.

Aside from the above criticisms, I have enjoyed every one of my drinks from Coffee Klatch besides the shot. Yeah, it doesn't have the sleekest design, but given the choice of a cafe to hang out in, sip coffee, and read a book, I'd prefer sinking into one of their couches or chairs over the stiff chairs and cold interior at Caffe Luxxe.

Well, I've sufficiently procrastinated enough. Back to work.

Andy
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2007, 11:10am

rocktageous Said:

Aside from the above criticisms, I have enjoyed every one of my drinks from Coffee Klatch besides the shot. Yeah, it doesn't have the sleekest design, but given the choice of a cafe to hang out in, sip coffee, and read a book, I'd prefer sinking into one of their couches or chairs over the stiff chairs and cold interior at Caffe Luxxe.

Posted December 11, 2007 link

Luxxe does have a cold look but since I'm a minimalist I love the design. I was at Luxxe on November 23, 2007. Took these pics.

GaryH: Luxxe_Nov07_1a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2007, 11:11am

My wife had this Americano and I had a very nice latte and three double ristrettos. They pull them so short, about 0.8oz, that the ristrettos don't have a lot of flavor to them. I liked it a lot better one year ago when the ristrettos were pulled with spouts and the volume was about 1.3oz.

GaryH: Luxxe_Nov07_2a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > l.a. café crawl...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.346528053284)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+